Windows 10: File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

Discus and support File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 13, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

WinClub, Aug 13, 2018

2. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Aug 13, 2018
  3. DaveK Win User
    Defrag: Move Large Files To End Of Drive?

Hey guys, I saw Defraggler has the option to move large files to the end of the drive, I picked movies (MKV/MP4 etc.)

Is it good to move these large files to the end of the drive? I'm assuming it's for less used files so it doesn't read them as fast or something?

Should I do this or just put it back to normal?

DaveK, Aug 13, 2018
  4. tracit99 Win User

The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.

I just checked the MCT and it is still offering the original March release 15063.0 of Windows 10. The new June refresh MSDN ISO is version 15063.413 and as you have found will not fit on a FAT32 formatted flash drive because of the 4.0GB file size limit of FAT32.

For UEFI installs you need a bootable FAT partition. I know you are not a fan of Rufus but it can solve this issue. It can create a very small FAT12 bootable partition and the rest of the flash drive will be formatted NTFS for data. I have actually made a flash drive of this type and it works as advertised.

Here are my settings for Rufus:

File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system [​IMG]

Your settings may be different depending on your system setup. The yellow highlighted area is the important one related to this issue.

Here is my flash drive:

File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system [​IMG]

tracit99, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

1. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system - Similar Threads - File Too Large

2. Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD: Hi,I was searching for a solution for this error and found out that it usually happens in a FAT32 format. In my unusual case, I'm getting this error although the external HD is already formatted tor NTFS. What can I do?...
  3. Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD: Hi,I was searching for a solution for this error and found out that it usually happens in a FAT32 format. In my unusual case, I'm getting this error although the external HD is already formatted tor NTFS. What can I do?...
  4. Windows 11 - file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - file is too large for the destination file system: I am continuously having problems moving data on to my hard disk due to file too large for the destination file system error.Few facts:- Both my hard disk partitions are NTFS, it gives the error when i move between partitions too.- The file i am copying from other shared...
  5. Windows 11 - file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - file is too large for the destination file system: I am continuously having problems moving data on to my hard disk due to file too large for the destination file system error.Few facts:- Both my hard disk partitions are NTFS, it gives the error when i move between partitions too.- The file i am copying from other shared...
  6. Too large file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too large file name: Split from this thread.Thank you for your comments.The word file name is too large - Microsoft cannot handle a too large file name. So of course, there is NO ERROR MESSAGE! Microsoft just simply does not delete the file.I have tried all suggested "too large file name...
  7. My system file are too large

My system file are too large: My C:\ disk has been used 140gb, When I checked it, it turned out that 100gb were used for the system. I've searched the Internet but there is no way that can reduce it, does anyone have a solution? I'm sorry if my English is bad, Thanks...
  8. File too large

in Windows 10 Customization
    File too large: Yesterday it was I couldn't save changes to documents or pictures. Got that solved. Today, when I try to download a picture from a website, I'm getting the message, "failed, file too large". Even small pictures are too large. Can someone help with this?...
  9. System file too large

System file too large: I select every folder in my C disk and the property shows that they are only a little bit more than 100G. When I check the storage in the setting, it shows that the system file is 244GB. Is there anyway to delete it? PS: I already checked CBS folder and that does not...
  10. The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.: Was just copying over the files from my mounted Windows 10 (multi edition) MSDN ISO and got that message. It's formatted as Fat32. This is the just newly released last month ISO. Looks like I'll have to use NTFS? This may be an issue for those that need Fat32 for UEFI...