Windows 10: File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random

Discus and support File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ok folks.......i am begging someone on here to help me - on the verge of going back to windows 7. Tried everything. help me. please. i have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hiohaa, Sep 11, 2016.

1. hiohaa Win User

File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random

ok folks.......i am begging someone on here to help me - on the verge of going back to windows 7. Tried everything.
    help me. please.

i have an x99 chipset pc, i7 5820k, 16gb ram, gtx nvidia 970 - its a good pc (meant to be anyway............).
    it's connected directly to my router, as are a few other pc's in the house including a laptop - all via lan cable, as is my NAS drive.

a few weeks ago i noticed file transfer speeds had dropped, really slow. I've tried all sorts, including 2 fresh formats trying a combination of things. Different slots on the router, different cables, the whole 'large send offload' disabled thing, everything.
    None of it works.
    I've been doing side by side tests, vs my Asus laptop (also on windows 10, and the last thing i'd expect in the house to work properly) - transferring the same file, from the same location on my NAS, to a local drive (ssd drives both on laptop and on pc).
    With the laptop i get average transfer speeds of this 9gb file of 50-70 mb/s, every time, consistently, No problem at all.
    With the PC, one time it will start at 55-60 and slow right down. Other times it'll start at 30 and again slow down.
    Or it'll stay at 30.
    More often than not, it starts at 30-40 then will slow to 15-20.
    On the laptop its a consistent 55-65 and stays there for the entire file.

What the hell is wrong with my pc?
    I've done the exact same tests on my little shuttle pc in the lounge, a crappy thing with a simple i3 cpu, no graphics card. No issues at all - i can scroll through files on the NAS located upstairs smoothly with no issue, using video editing software for instance.
    So this is definitely a PC only issue, it's not network or router related - as the downstairs pc + laptop check out fine.

Here's a full list of things i've tried to fix it:

- tried different lan cables
    - tried different slot on router
    - clean format, update windows, then install mobo drivers
    - clean format, install mobo drivers, then update windows
    - updated all mobo drivers including LAN driver
    - removed gigabyte lan driver and tried using default windows one installed on restart.
    - gone into the properties of the adapter - disabled that 'offload' thing as mentioned above

none of it has made any difference. This is after 2 x clean format attempts, no other programs installed.
    Why has it started doing this????

It's as if its detecting a high speed of transfer from NAS to PC and the pc is throttling it down or something.
    Is there any program that will let me see what is causing the speed drop? anything else i've not tried?

pleasee help! i really don't want to have to install windows 7........ need dx12 for gaming in future.

:)

hiohaa, Sep 11, 2016

2. Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Microsoft.

Wireless Environment Details

Previously, I am using Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 in my Dell laptop with overall environment details as below,

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter, using 5Ghz band at 433Mbps.
    • Using Asus RT-AC68U, performing 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz).
    • Subscribing fiber optic 300Mbps ISP speed.
    Problem Statements

I am facing internet speed throttled over Wifi but not wired LAN connection. The speed throttled below than 100Mbps during downloading. The Wifi weirdly throttled the internet speed only but not local network file transfer over wireless.

Test Methods and Problem Analysis.

• The laptop and router range within 2 meters away.
    • No multiple devices connected to the router during the test.
    • DNS set in router is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8
    • My laptop using default Windows 10 Firewall and set network to "Private".
    • No VPN were used nor installed.
    • All hardwares installed with latest drivers from Dell website.
    • All networking speed monitored using Resource Monitor.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over Wifi. Speed slowed down less than 100Mbps.
    • I have a desktop PC too, using Windows 10 and LAN cable connection to router.
    • Transferring files from desktop PC to Asus router and finally wireless to my laptop.
      FULL SPEED around 400Mbps.
    • This is so odd. Wireless file transfer over local network can be full speed but internet over wireless slowed. Obviously not Wifi adapter problem.
    • I decided to further test the router hardware.
    • Download files from internet into desktop PC over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet over smartphone and tablet (both Android and iOS) wireless.
      FULL SPEED at 300Mbps. Obviously not router problem too.
    • So I narrowed down the problem only can be Windows 10. Can you help me identify the problems?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Sep 11, 2016
  3. sherkhansherkhan, Sep 11, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Checked Netbios is enabled , not on Default ? (on all PC's on Win 10 , it seems to be an issue for some)

Also if Jumbo Frame is Enabled and your Router or the other PC can't use it , it will cause issues like this . EVERY DEVICE on the LAN MUST Support JumboFrame if you use it. ie my C7 ARCHER can't.... everything else can....

File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random [​IMG]

If that doesn't help , this is my goto list I posted in another Thread for them to check too.

Ethernet network between 3 Windows 10 PCs problem - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

Kbird, Sep 12, 2016
  5. hiohaa Win User
    thank you, i will try and report back - my router is also C7 archer.

hiohaa, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    The stalling in performance sounds like JumboFrame (cos of C7) or Large Offload Send which I forgot last night, I have now disabled both on all my NICs too.

File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random [​IMG]

Kbird, Sep 12, 2016
  7. Duke Win User
    I recently started experiencing this issue on 2 PCs. File copy between PCs and a file server became excruciatingly slow, about 10Mbps over my 1Gbps connection.

The PCs had recently been moved from one room, where they were connected through a series of 3 switches (one at the PC site, my main backbone switch, and a switch at the server site), to another room where they were only connected through 2 switches. (Direct thru wall jack to main backbone switch, and the switch at the server site).

While trying to troubleshoot the issue though the usual means (disabling LSO offload, etc.), I noticed something peculiar - my switches seemed to be acting as dumb hubs, re-broadcasting everything everywhere.

I power-cycled all network infrastructure (switches and router), and the problem disappeared.

Hopefully this helps someone else like me who has gone through all of the other steps out there to resolve this and still received no joy.

Duke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random - Similar Threads - File transfer speeds

2. Remote Desktop very slow over LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop very slow over LAN: Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 many years back, I started noticing that RDP performance was worse than in Windows 7 and 8.1. Currently -- after upgrading to Windows 11 -- RDP sessions created over a 1 Gbps wired LAN are even slower to the point that I often see image...
  3. Remote Desktop very slow over LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop very slow over LAN: Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 many years back, I started noticing that RDP performance was worse than in Windows 7 and 8.1. Currently -- after upgrading to Windows 11 -- RDP sessions created over a 1 Gbps wired LAN are even slower to the point that I often see image...
  4. Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC: I have a few computers on a wifi home network, all running windows 11 or windows 10. Internet speed is very good for all the PCs, and copy speed over the network is good between all computers except one.This problematic PC windows 11 has good speed connecting to the internet...
  5. Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC: I have a few computers on a wifi home network, all running windows 11 or windows 10. Internet speed is very good for all the PCs, and copy speed over the network is good between all computers except one.This problematic PC windows 11 has good speed connecting to the internet...
  6. LAN transfer speed slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN transfer speed slow: I'm copying large amount of files from another PC, about 40gb, but the speed is quite slow, about 25-30 MB/s despite I have a Gigabit router. So far I've tried disabling LSO on one PC, the other PC don't have that options. Also I disabled global autotuning on both PC. Then...
  7. Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?: Everytime I transfer files my speeds are 355kb/s, It used to be 22 mb/s, How can I fix this? submitted by /u/Dupliss18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grwsm0/why_is_my_computers_file_transfer_speed_very_slow/
  8. LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs: I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809. So far I...
  9. LAN Network Slow speeds

LAN Network Slow speeds: Currently have a WiFi network setup for internet. Both computers connect to the router via WiFi Dongles. Which is running no problems. Each computer is then plugged into a network switch (cheap 4 port stand alone unit) via Ethernet cables (gigabit ports) and into the...
  10. LAN Network very slow

LAN Network very slow: We have 3 computers, connected to 1 router. Since our upgrade to Windows 10 (the 3 PC's) our network is very slowly between each other. I've tried already to disable 'Large Send Offload V2 (ip4) & (ip6)'. On the moment I disable this then it works for 5 minutes perfect....