Windows 10: File type associations not launching the program in the list

Discus and support File type associations not launching the program in the list in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by webben, Sep 1, 2016.

1. webben Win User

File type associations not launching the program in the list

This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type.

I have seen two versions of this issue. On one machine, double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer with a .xls extension would open Excel but the worksheet would be blank. If you open Excel first and then load the file from within Excel, it opens fine.

On another computer, double clicking on a file with an assigned file extension results in nothing happening.

I have been able to solve this problem by going to the "Control Panel" --> "Default Programs" --> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" selecting the file extension I need to work, click "Change Program..." and select the same program that was already listed as the "Current Default".

Obviously, the program listed as the current default is no longer associated with the extension in the registry.

The next time I see this behavior, I will check the registry entries before I apply my "fix".

I just wanted to know if others are seeing this issue and what is causing it.

:)

webben, Sep 1, 2016

2. File associations to programs messed up

Hi Jan,

This could have happened due to the corrupted application that you are using as default program. Resetting the file association will result to have the newest application as default program. We would like to know more about the issue by answering the following
    questions below:

• What file type are you trying to launch?
    • What application and version are you trying to set as default program?
    • Do you receive any error messages?

We look forward to your response.

Anthony Gal, Sep 1, 2016
  3. Mary Sau Win User
    There was a problem sending the command to the program. Windows 10 NOT related to MsOffice

Hi,

To help you resolve the issue, we recommend that you change the file association for your program. You can follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R, type control and hit
      OK.
    • Choose Programs and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Change the program that associates to .jpg.
    Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Mary Sau, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

You could try repairing the MS Office installation if the problem is limited to Office files. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, right click MS Office, select Change then Repair.

If the problem is more general, try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt. The next fix would then be do an in-place repair install of Windows 10.

Steve C, Sep 1, 2016
  5. webben Win User
    My "fix" is faster and less trouble. My real interest is in finding out if this is a trending problem and what I might be able to do to avoid it.

Thanks anyway.

webben, Sep 2, 2016
  6. Hi, @webben:

Office documents (or any document files, I suppose) may be opened 2 ways, either from a push (double-click on file -> calls the program associated with that file type) or a pull (open the application first and then open the file from within it).

I cannot locate an older article that I used to have on file about this. The article predates Windows10, but it explained the differences quite nicely. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

It sounds as if you are having a problem with the push.

• It probably does not matter, but (in order to glean a bit more data): what version of Office?
    • Is the problem only with Excel, or with other Office applications?
    • Is the problem only with MS Office? (IOW, for example, can you open a PDF via a "push" to Adobe Reader/Acrobat?)
    • >>What happens when you try to open the files as a "pull"?<<

I agree with @Steve C, that an attempt to repair Office might resolve the issue, if the problem is limited to Excel/Office.
    If it does, then you would no longer have to use a fairly cumbersome workaround.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 2, 2016
  7. webben Win User
    I believe you are missing the point. The file associations are correct in the Control Panel. To fix the problem, all I have to do is go into the Control Panel as if I was going to change the association to a different program but just select the association that is already listed there as being associated. This is much easier than an Office repair or an in-place Windows repair.

If no one else has this problem, I will just chalk it up to a fluke. I thought it might be a new issue because it affected three computers within 48 hours.

webben, Sep 2, 2016
  8. File type associations not launching the program in the list

Hi:

The behavior you describe is not normal.

Something is "broken" - in order to open files, one should not have to "go into the Control Panel as if I was going to change the association to a different program but just select the association that is already listed there as being associated."

We are not in front of your computer.
    So we merely requested a bit of data to help to better understand the issue and to help resolve it.

But if you are satisfied with your workaround, then that's all that matters.*Smile

Perhaps another member will have more satisfying recommendations.

Good luck,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File type associations not launching the program in the list - Similar Threads - File type associations

2. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  3. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  4. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  5. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  6. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  7. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  8. How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?: I am trying to associate a file type (.txt) with a .exe such that when I open text files, it uses that program. When I attempt to do this through the settings menu, it does not provide the program I am looking for in the list, even when I click "other programs." How can I fix...
  9. File Association to Programs

File Association to Programs: Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list. I am trying to associate...
  10. File extension not in file association list

File extension not in file association list: Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get...