Windows 10: FileHippo Update Checker

Discus and support FileHippo Update Checker in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello This app seems not to work well with Win 10 even though I tried to make it compatible with Windows 7. I think most higher level users do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maranna, Dec 22, 2015.

1. maranna Win User

FileHippo Update Checker

Hello
    This app seems not to work well with Win 10 even though I tried to make it compatible with Windows 7.
    I think most higher level users do not use these 3rd party apps and check program updates individually.
    I would not be able to find flash and other apps so it helps to have these.
    I have Secunia which is basically for vulnerabilities and need a replacement for FileHippo which checks for out dated apps.
    I have read the alternatives but find it confusing due to the caveats. SUMo lite sounds good but there is a spyware issue
    FileHippo Update Checker is shaky but does work - it takes 2 tries then detects the outdated programs. I don't know if that is doing the PC any harm.. What is your opinion of using it?
    TQ
    Peter

:)

maranna, Dec 22, 2015

2. how to fix filehippo app manager?

Filehippo Application Manager failed to download program definitions

Atef Kamal Awadein, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Directx problem for using Instagram in Windows 10

Hy KuldeepVyas,

The issue could be fixed by installing Direct X 9

Here is the link from filehippo: Direct X 9.0c

AleemIqbal, Dec 22, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

FileHippo Update Checker

Sumo (nork) - no relevant knowledge if I recall - is free of adware - you just have to be careful to download the right one.
    See here for a commentary from a reputable source.
    Best Free Software Update Monitor | Gizmo's Freeware

The most comprehensive checker I know of. But I wouldn't want its paid-for automatic update and install feature.

Filehippo used to be ok, but limited.. now it seems to be commercially oriented displaying an ad in its GUI and doesn't connect reliably. I think you'll find Windows manages flash updates in Win 10.

dalchina, Dec 22, 2015
  5. maranna Win User
    I'm sorry but I do not understand," I think you'll find Windows manages flash updates in Win 10."
    Is this just for Flash?

maranna, Dec 23, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    No that update checker is not just for flash updates. You could try installing a much older version of FileHippo Update Checker, and see if it works any better, they still show lots of their older versions for download.

OldMike65, Dec 23, 2015
  7. maranna Win User
    Does Windows have an update checker?

maranna, Dec 23, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

FileHippo Update Checker

Yes of course it does.......but not for installed software not from Microsoft. That's why some folks use a 3rd party program update checker.... *Smile

only exception is Microsoft update will also download drivers for graphic cards, and other devices made by other companies.
    But their only driver updates.

OldMike65, Dec 23, 2015
  9. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Dec 23, 2015
  10. Phone Man Win User
    I have it on 2 W10 systems and it works just fine. Just give it as try and see if you like it.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 23, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I haven't found an update checker(for 3rd party programs) that worked 100%. They usually missed 3/4 of my programs.
    I know what I have installed, and just check Major Geeks every day, for the programs that don't have auto updaters built in(2 programs). Most programs these days though, have built in updaters that can be set. An extra update program is just a waste of resources(my opinion).
    Just something for you to think about. The creators of these type of programs want to get them installed on your PC, so if you like it you'll either get the paid version(not much better), or try their other software(if I need it I would anyhow)*Smile

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  13. FileHippo Update Checker

SUMO never missed anything for me, but even if it does, just write to the developer, he will add it promptly.
    That said, its GUI is old, AD supported and to get a link for an each app you need to click 3 times, but it works.

TairikuOkami, Dec 23, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Dec 23, 2015
  15. maranna Win User
    I appreciate all the advice; I am using Secunia and File Hippo as they pick up what I miss.
    When left to my own devises I forget to check and, there are plenty of resources.
    The higher level more clever users are likely better off doing it themselves.

maranna, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

FileHippo Update Checker

1. FileHippo Update Checker - Similar Threads - FileHippo Update Checker

2. Spell Checker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spell Checker: Hello In Windows 10 How Do You Enable Spell Checker So If I Miss Spell A Word It Will Give Me Suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-checker/4ee74b96-61a4-4963-a046-7b2aa45cefd3
  3. Spell Checker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spell Checker: Hello In Windows 10 How Do You Enable Spell Checker So If I Miss Spell A Word It Will Give Me Suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-checker/4ee74b96-61a4-4963-a046-7b2aa45cefd3
  4. Spell checker.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spell checker.: How do I activate a spell checker in MS Edge Please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-checker/f36d64a2-437f-4611-a631-ae247f6526af
  5. File checker

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    File checker: We need some sort of file checking thing for when we are downloading huge files, wonder when we can even expect it to happen if ever? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-checker/af8ecefe-931e-40a1-aa17-919939e7a9b9"
  6. internet checkers

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    internet checkers: How can I get internet checkers back - to play a person - back on my computer. Not on my cell. Internet checkers was great for relaxing after being busy on the computer for a few hours - but it disappeared....
  7. Spell Checker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Spell Checker: I have lost Spellchecker on my Windows 10, can you suggest how to get it back please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-checker/edf91932-0b16-4493-8704-099a6b04c99b
  8. Spell Checker error on 1803 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Spell Checker error on 1803 update: I am getting the following Error ID: 33 in the new 1803 April 2018 update. Failed to add hardcoded change pair "http -> http" to engine: Not implemented. The spell checker will still be available. [img] Any ideas what this might be? 109250
  9. Spell checker

in Browsers and Email
    Spell checker: With Internet Explorer I have IE spell. And I Knead a spale checker reel baad. Is there one I can use with 10? Eye hope ewe kan help me. 7187
  10. spell checker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spell checker: windows 10 Microsoft Edge corrects all words in Facebook messages. All this happened when Microsoft update original Windows 10 that I installed months ago. 34573