Windows 10: Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

Discus and support Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have this issue where the files and folders on an external device (such as an external HDD and USB) are not showing up, yet the device is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Brainiac777, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

Hello, I have this issue where the files and folders on an external device (such as an external HDD and USB) are not showing up, yet the device is visible. I only started getting this issue after I connected my USB to another computer which makes me think a virus caused this. Here's where I am at:

The drive in question is the "STEAM GAMES (FFiles and Folders Not Showing on External Devices :)" drive. It shows up in explorer as shown:

Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices [​IMG]

And when opened, this is what's inside the F drive:

By showing hidden files and not hiding protected operating system files, this is what shows:

What I've tried:
    • The command "attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d F:\*.*" returns this:

• Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices [​IMG]
    • Full system scan using Anti-MalwareBytes and Avast! reveals nothing.
    • Running RKill, UsbFix, RogueKiller, and iExplore.exe does not fix the problem.

I had the same problem with a USB before and had to format it to get it to work. I would rather not format this drive because it contains a lot of data but I may if desperate enough. Please help me. Thanks.

More images (changed the drive letter to S but that didn't help):

:)

Brainiac777, Sep 9, 2015

2. external drive not showing in devices and printers since upgrading to windows 10

Just FYI, all of my external drives are also missing from Devices and Printers too. Windows 7 worked fine but not Windows 10.

BruceChastain, Sep 9, 2015
  3. LesleyH1 Win User
    external drive not showing in devices and printers since upgrading to windows 10

I can't find my Seagate Backup Plus external drive anywhere on my Lenovo desktop since upgrading to windows 10. I was running Windows 7 SP1 (64bit) and was usually able to find it in My Computer/Windows Explora/Devices and Printers etc.

It now seems to be completely invisible and as it has my backup and some thousands of photos, I am particularly anxious to retrieve access, preferably without having to revert back to Windows 7. Incidently, I did have access imediately prior to upgrading
    to Windows 10.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

LesleyH1, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

Ok, so I found the fix to my problem. I decided to run a "chkdsk /r" command and surprisingly, it fixed the problem! However, if anyone can help me find out what went wrong so that I prevent it from happening again, that would be great. Below is the screenshot of the check disk running and even I (somewhat tech savvy person) can see it found quite a few errors. Can someone please help me understand what check disk did and what was the problem?

Brainiac777, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

1. Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices - Similar Threads - Files Folders Showing

2. after save files on USB external SSD show folders but no files there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after save files on USB external SSD show folders but no files there: Please need help I save all my files from laptop on USB external SSD I format whole my laptop next day I look my USB external SSD and it show folders there but No files, any suggestion what I can try to see my files? thank you...
  3. after save files on USB external SSD show folders but no files there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after save files on USB external SSD show folders but no files there: Please need help I save all my files from laptop on USB external SSD I format whole my laptop next day I look my USB external SSD and it show folders there but No files, any suggestion what I can try to see my files? thank you...
  4. after save files on USB external SSD show folders but no files there

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Folder in external hard drive shows empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder in external hard drive shows empty: I have a laptop that died. I now have the hard drive in an external case and am trying to access my documents under my user name. On my new laptop, file explorer says the user folder is empty. But when I connect the external hard drive to another pc, it can access my...
  6. External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in: I had a old HDD knocking about so I thought I’d stick it in a USB caddy and back data up to it. So I formatted the HDD and added some files from my main PC to it. I also did the same with some folders I had on the laptop. I’ve been running some VM on both the machines so I...
  7. NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file: I'm having problems with a folder on an external hard drive. Recently I had a Windows notification to repair the drive, which I did. The next time I plugged in the drive, one of the folders was missing. On closer inspection I found that there was a zero-byte file with the...
  8. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: I want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu to copy selected data to the certain folder of my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone connected to PC via USB wire. So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-clicked on the destination...
  9. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: Dear all, i want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu which will copy selected data to my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone (connected to PC via USB wire). So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-click on the destination...
  10. files and folders and devices

files and folders and devices: I don't know how to remove the write- protection off my device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-and-folders-and-devices/608ecb56-d94c-40e2-bfa4-a35598467692"