Windows 10: Files being copied from Western Digital Passport have datestamp...

Discus and support Files being copied from Western Digital Passport have datestamp... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm moving backed up files to a new hard drive/Windows install and the filenames are: filename (2016_08_22 05_14_11 UTC).extension Why is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AshleyQuick, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Files being copied from Western Digital Passport have datestamp...

I'm moving backed up files to a new hard drive/Windows install and the filenames are:

filename (2016_08_22 05_14_11 UTC).extension

Why is this happening?

:)

AshleyQuick, Aug 26, 2016
  2. GaryBaird Win User

Windows 10 does not recognize western digital My passport Ultra external hard drive

I don' know if that is related to my problem, but I found out (not from Western Digital) that you can only plug a "Western Digital Passport" into a computer usb port. You CANNOT plug it into a usb HUB. That seemed to have changed with Windows 10. Bummer,
    because computers have so few usb ports making it necessary to unplug something else in order to use a "Western Digital Passport" hard drive. I think "Western Digital" failed to write device drivers for Windows 10, but they will never admit that.

GaryBaird, Aug 26, 2016
  3. windows 10

Thanks,

My external hard drive I believe is just for backing up files and such. It is a Western Digital ultra passport.

fisherman 88, Aug 26, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Files being copied from Western Digital Passport have datestamp...

Could be the backup program, that backup was made with. For restoring files, you should use the same program.

AndreTen, Aug 26, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    One of the reasons I didn't stick with File History for backing up user files is because I didn't like the way it over-complicated everything, such as modifying the file names by adding UTC time stamps for example. Therefore, I can't speak with experience of your problem, as I just use normal file syncing software SyncBack instead.

However, going by your post it sounds like you're trying to restore files backed up with File History to a clean machine. From the article below you should be able to File History - Restore Files or Folders in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Article:
    How to Use Windows File History to Back Up Your Data

ARC1020, Aug 26, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "the filenames are: filename (2016_08_22 05_14_11 UTC).extension"
    Don't know how many files you're dealing with but you can use this free renaming software that I've used for many years and simply use the 'Remove by Position' tab, select 'from the end' and, in your example, enter 25 and it will remove the last 25 characters in the filename and give you a preview of the new name before finalizing -
    JoeJoe's freeware utilities - [Rename Master]

mrgeek, Aug 26, 2016
  7. 150+gb worth of folders/files so would it be worth trying this method? Just wondering if it would take forever or lock up.

AshleyQuick, Aug 27, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

"150+gb worth of folders/files so would it be worth trying this method? Just wondering if it would take forever or lock up."

It's not the size of the files but the number. After deciding the basic renaming op, you pick a folder in the Folder Tree, say, Pictures, open it; if all were recovered with the name timestamp, then Select All and remove xx from name end. Let it regenerate the new name in a Preview screen. If all looks good, then click Rename. Done. I've renamed as many as over 1000 in a folder and it takes less than a minute, usually seconds for small folders. The restriction, in your case, is you just can't open all items in one window so I don't know how many folders you want to deal with. Good Luck with your file recovery.

mrgeek, Aug 27, 2016
  9. Thanks for finding and posting this! Unfortunately, Windows Backup couldn't find this particular Backup. I probably messed something up in my haste to move everything off the failing hard drive.

10. So this app doesn't rename files in subdirectories? Hmmm...are you familiar with anything that will?

11. AndreTen Win User
    You can try Bulk rename Utility. It's free for personal use and clean according to Softpedia and Virustotal.

AndreTen, Aug 28, 2016
  12. This worked. Thanks!

AshleyQuick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Files being copied from Western Digital Passport have datestamp... - Similar Threads - Files being copied

2. Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive formally used on W11 isn’t being...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive formally used on W11 isn’t being...: Purchased a new laptop and downloaded W365. My Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive is not being recognized. I’ve received two 2 different notices. 1 - stating to download W11. 2 - stating to download WD My Passport software. I do not see the necessity of having...
  3. Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive formally used on W11 isn’t being...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive formally used on W11 isn’t being...: Purchased a new laptop and downloaded W365. My Western Digital External “My Passport” Hard Drive is not being recognized. I’ve received two 2 different notices. 1 - stating to download W11. 2 - stating to download WD My Passport software. I do not see the necessity of having...
  4. Western Digital Passport USB issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Western Digital Passport USB issue: Hi, I just bought this laptop and I am trying to plug my WD passport USB into it and it wont work. It says the driver is unavailable Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/western-digital-passport-usb-issue/5e275c22-e131-4a40-80ee-c88c418d1da2
  5. Western Digital My passport ext hdd

Western Digital My passport ext hdd: Good morning folks, I,m having problems with the above 2tb drive.Whenever I connect to the laptop it switches itself on without me touching any keys so I have to "x" off it Tried just now to upload a photo and it seemed to disappear while I was trying to do so but...
  6. Western Digital Passport Not Being Detected

Western Digital Passport Not Being Detected: This happened suddenly. I bought a new cable. Still doesn't work. The passport is definitely powering up. My OS is Windows 10. Can anyone help?...
  7. western digital passport

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    western digital passport: stopped working after last update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/western-digital-passport/c7f43d6b-7de2-489d-a88c-67636e65b104
  8. I have a Western Digital 1 Tb My Passport how can I encrypt it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have a Western Digital 1 Tb My Passport how can I encrypt it?: How can I encrypt it, cause I can use BitLocker, but since is so big the external hard drive I would like some help here. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-western-digital-1-tb-my-passport-how-can/b352ac18-65c7-4ac7-a7cf-dd9cb102b7eb"
  9. western digital my book

western digital my book: After doing a clean install of windows 10 build 10130; my western digital my book 1tb external usb 3.0 hard drive will not retrieve my backups. Is this a possible windows 10 glitch; or is this a internal hardware issue with my device? 7415
  10. Western Digital Passport drives autorun?

Western Digital Passport drives autorun?: Hello, i'm moving back to 10 recently. I recall on 1st version i tried, when i plugged my WD Passport, i was asked what to do. Now not anymore. There is an autorun app that's launching to unlock the drive (hardware encryption enabled). How do i fix that? 59820