Windows 10: Files Deleted After Upgrade

Discus and support Files Deleted After Upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 took some minor getting used to having to find new ways to do things I took for granted like opening up settings. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rickaysen, Aug 13, 2015.

1. rickaysen Win User

Files Deleted After Upgrade

Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 took some minor getting used to having to find new ways to do things I took for granted like opening up settings. I finally got comfortable with the new OS and decided to watch some videos I had stored in folders I made a few weeks ago. I found those folders were now empty. I never deleted the files, but somehow the videos were moved to the recycle bin. Does anyone have any idea how upgrading to Win10 might have caused this to happened? It's not a big deal since I just restored the files to their original location, but I'm curious.

:)

rickaysen, Aug 13, 2015

2. Deleted windows.old files after Windows 10 upgrade (from 7). Dreaded 0x8050800d error in Windows Defender.

At this point, the Install a clean version of Windows 10 section of
    this page should resolve all your problems (IMHO). Good luck!

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 13, 2015
  3. JeffTease Win User
    Deleted windows.old files after Windows 10 upgrade (from 7). Dreaded 0x8050800d error in Windows Defender.

In regards to your comment, Sir. I am fairly sure that is exactly what happened.

1a. June 2016

1b. No, it never was offered. I never got the little notification telling me it was time or it was available. I had to go after it myself.

2a. The Creators Update WAS installed via Windows Update.

2b. November 28, 2017.

3. I don't believe I was, but I could be wrong because the timing was so close. If "felt" to me like the deleting of the windows.old file was when I first started having the problem. Several of the subfolders under the windows.old folder did not delete 'willingly'.
    I got the notice that they were being used currently, though I could not determine which process was using them. Maybe I should have left them alone? I just did not see the harm in deleting the entirety of the .old file. I should have read more about it first.

Thanks again.

JeffTease, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

Files Deleted After Upgrade

1. Files Deleted After Upgrade - Similar Threads - Files Deleted Upgrade

2. Can I delete files in delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder after upgrading operating...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I delete files in delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder after upgrading operating...: I am using windows server OS 2012, will it be fine if upgrade my operating system to 2019 and then delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder ? I believe this deletion will not impact the upgraded machine, since all patches and other windows executables will be a part of the...
  3. Can I delete files in delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder after upgrading operating...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete files in delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder after upgrading operating...: I am using windows server OS 2012, will it be fine if upgrade my operating system to 2019 and then delete files in C:\windows\Installer folder ? I believe this deletion will not impact the upgraded machine, since all patches and other windows executables will be a part of the...
  4. deleted files after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleted files after update: After the update on 11/15/22021 my computer reset. None of my programs got deleted, but all my files, pictures, downloads, videos, desktop shortcuts have all been deleted. In addition, I downloaded several documents on February 16th then my computer updated again on February...
  5. deleted files after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files after update: After the update on 11/15/22021 my computer reset. None of my programs got deleted, but all my files, pictures, downloads, videos, desktop shortcuts have all been deleted. In addition, I downloaded several documents on February 16th then my computer updated again on February...
  6. deleted files after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Deleted files after upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted files after upgrade: Just did an upgrade to version 1903 and all of my files were deleted. Did a rollback and they are still missing. How do I get them back??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-after-upgrade/c1b1f307-cb95-44bb-a227-d9fdd7521f44"
  8. How to Delete the Old Windows Files after Upgrading Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Delete the Old Windows Files after Upgrading Windows 10?: OK,OK You might be thinkin' now that "What a DUMB Question is This?" But First before typing that please read through! After Upgrading my Windows 10 to Latest Build Windows Showed me that i Haven't have any Space Left in my HDD so it recommended me to delete the...
  9. Delete recovery partition after upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete recovery partition after upgrade?: I upgraded a HP notebook to Win10 Home from Win 8.1. I would like to remove the OEM recovery partition. The Disk Management console shows the EFI partition, then the system partition (C), then a recovery partition of about 7GB. There is no Delete or resize option available on...
  10. Cannot delete ISO file after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete ISO file after upgrading to Windows 10: Hiya....I mounted my windows 10 ISO file with Magic Disk to upgrade only to find out that Windows 10 does not support Magic Disk. I uninstalled the drive it was using in device manager but still does not allow me to delete it. Everytime I reboot the ISO shows as mounted...