Windows 10: Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS

Discus and support Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two weeks ago my primary hdd, a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB died, but I wasn't very worried being the drive in warranty and having a second hard drive (a WD 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yurassik, Mar 28, 2016.

1. yurassik Win User

Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS

Two weeks ago my primary hdd, a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB died, but I wasn't very worried being the drive in warranty and having a second hard drive (a WD 2 TB) where I store photos, documents, saves and other important files.
    I proceeded to reinstall the OS on the new drive and something weird is going on; on the second drive many files just disappear, like it was restored a older version of the content. Basically latest files are time stamped june 2015.
    I tried different recovery programs with both light and deep scan (Data Rescue 3, Ease Recovery, Getback, ecc.) but none of those programs can find any trace of the files I am looking for and I am going crazy to understand what is going on.

The only difference is that I am using a different SATA port on the MB than before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

AC

:)

yurassik, Mar 28, 2016

2. Lost directory and files in Windows 10

Do only files on the D: drive disappear after a few seconds?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 28, 2016
  3. Internal Harddrive disconnects and game freezes in game.

I just recently cleared out my storage to free up space and crucial files were deleted. I then had to just reinstall windows 10. After that it was updated and another update about a day later occurred. After reinstalling windows my internal secondary hard
    drive that has everything except my os and a select things has been disappearing. It disconnects while I'm using files inside of it and then shuts everything I'm using down. I have to go to device manager and make it scan my hardware or restart the computer
    to get it to show back up. The second problem is that while I'm in a game, if the hard drive hasn't disconnected itself. I get my whole screen frozen every 10 seconds or so. Only while playing games though. Ive tried updating my GPU drivers but it still has
    the same problem.

MichaelJohnson9942, Mar 28, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Did you disconnect your 2TB drive before reinstalling Windows?

lmaneke, Mar 28, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    When reinstalling an OS on a new drive it's always recommended all drives be disconnected except the drive you are installing to.

However, if you made sure you installed to Disk 0 "which should have been the 850 PRO" Windows probably created the necessary partitions for proper install.

Recovery
    System
    MSR Reserved
    Primary Partition 1

So in your install program you probably seen Disk 0 as unallocated space, and Disk 1 as the 2 TB drive. If you didn't do anything with Disk 1 "2TB" Then it should have been OK.

lmaneke, Mar 28, 2016
  6. yurassik Win User
    I'll keep in mind for sure for the next time...
    I was suspecting also some problem about partitions... Indeed the drives before the damage were:

disk0 = Samsung SSD with the 4 partitions
    disk1= WD 2TB with datas

after installing the new drive I switched the SATA port and the two diskid switched with having 0 for datas and 1 for system. Also, when I reinstalled, the drive D was without letter, so i had to assing it through admin panel, but since the disk structure was identical I didn't check the content until I had to.

Said so, even if it is a problem of disk table, how it is possible that a surface scan cannot recover any file?
    There is a way to recover it? Does connect the disk as an external drive on another PC would help?

Thanks

yurassik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS - Similar Threads - Files disappear second

2. window 11 file locks after reinstall of OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 11 file locks after reinstall of OS: I reinstalled my windows 11 OS. Now previously locked files won't open. I was using TPM as well as bitencryption. I have kept same user name also owner. Even kept old PC name. many attempts to gain ownership and attempt to audit. I just need to remove locks that were on files...
  3. window 11 file locks after reinstall of OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    window 11 file locks after reinstall of OS: I reinstalled my windows 11 OS. Now previously locked files won't open. I was using TPM as well as bitencryption. I have kept same user name also owner. Even kept old PC name. many attempts to gain ownership and attempt to audit. I just need to remove locks that were on files...
  4. Trouble reinstalling Windows 10 OS after formatting drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble reinstalling Windows 10 OS after formatting drives.: Some context:I'm giving my father my old computer after upgrading to a new one because his computer was really old. I had personal files on the HDD and SSD of my old computer, so I moved everything over that I wanted and cleared the two drives by formatting them.I then put...
  5. Trouble reinstalling Windows 10 OS after formatting drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble reinstalling Windows 10 OS after formatting drives.: Some context:I'm giving my father my old computer after upgrading to a new one because his computer was really old. I had personal files on the HDD and SSD of my old computer, so I moved everything over that I wanted and cleared the two drives by formatting them.I then put...
  6. Second time the drive D files was disappeared after windows update,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second time the drive D files was disappeared after windows update,: Same as the topic, This is second time I lost all the files after windows update. The drive C does not affect from the update.Only clean the drive D up. That's cause the hardware or something else?...
  7. Files from E: Drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files from E: Drive disappeared: Hi all, On my E: Drive, I've sorted a fair amount of files. But today, when I went to open something from there, I see that all of the files have been replaced with a .tmp file called "DUMPxxxx." Is it possible to recover my files? How do I return my E: Drive to normal?...
  8. Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive: so i have an ssdsamsung QVO 860 1TB and a hdddon't know the name and i had windows 10 installed on my ssd working perfectly fine and i wanted to install Linux ubuntu on my hdd since it was empty and i wanted to try it out. It couldn't install because it only detected my ssd...
  9. Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall: After my system crashed and I was forced to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, my encrypted USB drive stopped allowing some file management copy, move, open. It says "Access Denied". But strangely, it allows me to delete files. Some apps say I need "Everybody" permissions. When I...
  10. Recovering encrypted files after OS reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering encrypted files after OS reinstall: I encrypted a drive with my Microsoft account and now I am locked out. I can't recover the key to unlock my OS either. If I reinstall the operating system will I be able to recover the encrypted drive with the same password?...