Windows 10: Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

Discus and support Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance. Today, I transferred files from my husband's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jshaus, Mar 25, 2018.

1. jshaus Win User

Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance.

Today, I transferred files from my husband's Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop hard drive. Once transferred, I hit "Ctrl-C" to "copy" them from the laptop folder to our external hard drive. I remembered hitting selecting all the photos (over 1000 of them btw), hit Ctrl-C, and when I reached the external hard drive folder to hit "Ctrl-V" to "paste" them into the applicable folder, I would receive an error message for each photo "Item Not Found. Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\ (insert C drive folder photos were saved originally).

Worst case I would have expected to photos not to paste into the external hard drive folder, but remain in the original C drive folder since I did a "copy" function not a "cut" function.

Then, to make things more interesting, I went to shut down my PC and it tells me there is an app that is preventing my computer from shutting down, and low and behold it is the app tied to the original C drive folder the pictures were saved, yet when I go into the app, there are no photos in there where it shouldn't be closing.

I think the photos are hung up somewhere and I have no idea how to get them. These pictures are photos my husband had stored on his phone for over 2 years *Sad Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

jshaus, Mar 25, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

how to transfer files and apps from old laptop to new laptop

You can't transfer apps - they need to be re-installed.

Transfering your personal files is easy: Copy them from the old laptop to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, then copy them from the flash drive to the new laptop.

BulldogXX, Mar 25, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    restore windows 10

• Obtain (buy or borrow) an external hard drive.
    • Attach the external hard drive to your computer with a USB cable
    • Open File Explorer on your computer.
    • Copy the files you want to backup from your computer to the external hard drive.

To restore your backed up files, copy them from the external hard drive to your new computer.

BulldogXX, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. First option is goto google photos are they there as norammly they are backed up by google

Samuria, Mar 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive - Similar Threads - Files gone trying

2. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive: I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space...
  3. error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop

error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop: I tried to copy files from my external hard disk to my laptop but an error message came saying "cant read from souce file or disk". Any solutons?...
  4. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive: Hi all, I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of transferring. At this point, i am unable to transfer data from the laptop to the hard drive (it disconnects itself) but I...
  5. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...
  6. Moving files from laptop to external drive

Moving files from laptop to external drive: I'm trying to free up space on my computer and am not sure how to safely move files from my laptop to my external drive. And then what do do to free up the space I need...
  7. Cannot copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot copy files from external drive: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...
  8. trying to back up my laptop to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    trying to back up my laptop to an external hard drive: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\jdill\Pictures. Error:(STATUS_WAIT_2 (0x80070002)). this is the message i got while trying to create a backup img to an external hard drive. what do i do ?...
  9. External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it: I have a Toshiba 2TB Canvio USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, it was working yesterday but I am now having problems with accessing it today. I connected it today and in my computer it shows up as Local Disk (G:), when I click onto it to try and access it file explorer crashes and...
  10. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB: I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10. I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard drive and/or a USB. Windows Explorer in XP allowed me to just highlight files or folders I want to copy, then right click to...