Windows 10: Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

Discus and support Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance. Today, I transferred files from my husband's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jshaus, Mar 25, 2018.

1. jshaus Win User

Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance.

Today, I transferred files from my husband's Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop hard drive. Once transferred, I hit "Ctrl-C" to "copy" them from the laptop folder to our external hard drive. I remembered hitting selecting all the photos (over 1000 of them btw), hit Ctrl-C, and when I reached the external hard drive folder to hit "Ctrl-V" to "paste" them into the applicable folder, I would receive an error message for each photo "Item Not Found. Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\ (insert C drive folder photos were saved originally).

Worst case I would have expected to photos not to paste into the external hard drive folder, but remain in the original C drive folder since I did a "copy" function not a "cut" function.

Then, to make things more interesting, I went to shut down my PC and it tells me there is an app that is preventing my computer from shutting down, and low and behold it is the app tied to the original C drive folder the pictures were saved, yet when I go into the app, there are no photos in there where it shouldn't be closing.

I think the photos are hung up somewhere and I have no idea how to get them. These pictures are photos my husband had stored on his phone for over 2 years *Sad Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

jshaus, Mar 25, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

how to transfer files and apps from old laptop to new laptop

You can't transfer apps - they need to be re-installed.

Transfering your personal files is easy: Copy them from the old laptop to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, then copy them from the flash drive to the new laptop.

BulldogXX, Mar 25, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    restore windows 10

• Obtain (buy or borrow) an external hard drive.
    • Attach the external hard drive to your computer with a USB cable
    • Open File Explorer on your computer.
    • Copy the files you want to backup from your computer to the external hard drive.

To restore your backed up files, copy them from the external hard drive to your new computer.

BulldogXX, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. First option is goto google photos are they there as norammly they are backed up by google

Samuria, Mar 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive - Similar Threads - Files gone trying

2. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  3. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  4. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  6. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  7. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  8. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  9. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive: I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...