Windows 10: Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted

Discus and support Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I know this sounds weird, but its happening. - I have 2 monitors - I have a powerpoint open on my second monitor - I save periodically and it saves.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mynameisnotjon, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted

I know this sounds weird, but its happening.

- I have 2 monitors

- I have a powerpoint open on my second monitor

- I save periodically and it saves. The icon is on my desktop and I can open and close the file

- Turn my computer off for the day

- Start it up next day, no file on desktop

- Go to Open and look at recent files. File from yesterday is there. Try to open it says the file cannot be found, maybe it was renamed or deleted. It was neither.

- I thought I was going crazy because it happened 2 days in a row, but now that I've tested it this morning, it is indeed happening. Anything I have on my primary monitor and I save and restart, it stays. I went into my monitor settings and swapped the primary and secondary and its still happening. The file seems to disappear when I restart my computer.

I'm not sure if this is a windows or office issue.

:)

mynameisnotjon, Jul 17, 2018

2. Issues while installing a second monitor in Windows 10

Really? I get a canned answer and nothing else? I posted that I had tried everything that I could find posted online. I did read the post that Andre suggested multiple times prior to posting this request for help. None of it helped.

My computer does not recognize that there is a second monitor is plugged in. The small step of changing the settings so I can put stuff on the second monitor ISN'T the issue. I am not that dumb. in the device manager there is only the single monitor listed
    at one point there was a unknown device listed but my computer did not know if it was a monitor or a printer.

There has to be someone out there that knows how to fix this

Please Help

squareknees, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jul 17, 2018
  4. Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted

Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted

1. Files lost when saved on second monitor and computer restarted - Similar Threads - Files lost saved

2. Second monitor lost signal after restart or sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor lost signal after restart or sleep: Hi there,I have an issue with my Windows 10 to detect my second monitor. My computer has GVA output and Displayport output. I connect two monitors, one is connected with GVA port, another one is connected with displayport. The second monitor has HDMI input port only, so I use...
  3. Second monitor lost signal after restart or sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor lost signal after restart or sleep: Hi there,I have an issue with my Windows 10 to detect my second monitor. My computer has GVA output and Displayport output. I connect two monitors, one is connected with GVA port, another one is connected with displayport. The second monitor has HDMI input port only, so I use...
  4. Second monitor lost signal after restart or sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Display color profile is lost when switching to second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display color profile is lost when switching to second monitor: I have two color profiles defined for my second monitor. When I change from Extend to only the second monitor, the profile swaps the the other one. When I open the display settings both options have disappeared. When I switch back to Extend the options return....
  6. Display color profile is lost when switching to second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display color profile is lost when switching to second monitor: I have two color profiles defined for my second monitor. When I change from Extend to only the second monitor, the profile swaps the the other one. When I open the display settings both options have disappeared. When I switch back to Extend the options return....
  7. Second Monitor Restarts When Turning Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second Monitor Restarts When Turning Off: When the power settings turn my monitors off after the designated time, my secondary monitor will enter power saving mode. I'll then immediately hear the sound of a device disconnecting from the system, then reconnecting. At that point, the second monitor will wake up and...
  8. lost my second monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lost my second monitor: How do I get my second monitor back? It went away. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-second-monitor/8a70fe2b-9036-4461-936d-9e68a250ca57
  9. Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restarting computer since updates messes with second monitor: So starting September 6th when I did the update KB4346783 any time I have to restart my computer I lose display on my second monitor. Now the monitor is still on and acting like its here, but is just black. I have to go and uninstall my graphics driver to make it display...
  10. Lost bookmarks when saving as HTM file

in Browsers and Email
    Lost bookmarks when saving as HTM file: I'm new here & have a problem. I’m using Windows 10 & IE browser & want to save my bookmarks for install on new larger hard drive. When saving most bookmarks in folders will save, but other folders will be empty or gone totally. I’m using the Windows+R & - iexplore.exe...