Windows 10: Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD

Discus and support Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Simple question, really. New build. Here's the issue, there's the boot drive, C, just an SSD. And the actually hard drive I was supposed to use for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CptK, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CptK Win User

Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD

Simple question, really. New build. Here's the issue, there's the boot drive, C, just an SSD. And the actually hard drive I was supposed to use for everything, E. Well without realizing it, everything was getting saved to C. Which is a whopping 120gb. And not to E which is 2 TB. So, is there a way to just move everything (users, program files, basically everything except OS) to E? Or do I legit need to uninstall everything and reinstall on E? Because the only thing I can figure out how to move is the files like pictures videos downloads etc that I don't use anyways. Thanks for input in advance.

:)

2. I want to move all my files in HDD to SSD (except OS),

So we know SSD is a great for keeping files and HDD is good for OS. I want to move all my files in HDD to SSD (except OS), and make my computer continue to automatically save files to SSD while OS stays in HDD. Is this possible? If so, how? Diagrams/Photos
    would be great. Thank you.

Original title: HDD to SSD

ComedyRocks, Jan 20, 2017
  3. New computer. Windows 10. 240 SSD and 2 T HHD. What files go where?

Purchased a new dell Computer loaded. Came with a 240 plus SSD and 2 T HHD. The HDD was not set up except as a back up according to dell support. No help at all.... I was able to move my onedrive to the HDD and I set up a sample Document folder on the
    HDD. I now need to download my carbonite saved files from my old computer, almost .75 T of saved files. Photos, music, video, cad files etc. What files can I move from the C drive SSD to D drive and how. Thank you. Keith Scheidemantle

KEITHSCHEIDEMANTLE, Jan 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you can rt click user folders and relocate them to another drive.

Be careful- there are several threads where people have got into difficulty doing this, but it does work if you're accurate in what you do (I've not tried it myself).

If you take courage in both hands and take great care backing up, and are confident and experienced technically see:
    Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

More:
    Library Save Location - Set in Windows 10

and feel free to search/browse the tutorials.

My personal approach:
    As I have many programs which create folders in Windows default libraries, I simply don't use the defaults for my personal data.
    My personal data is in my own folders on a separate drive. That separates it from the OS as far as is reasonable. I have relocated my desktop.

Programs: While you can choose to install these on a separate partition, that usually won't mean everything related to them is there, as many programs create folders and registry entries in areas on the system drive/partition- not everything is in the installation folder you select- including even the start menu shortcuts. And some install drivers, in another area.

Then you may wish to consider where universal apps are kept:
    Apps Save Location - Change in Windows 10

dalchina, Jan 20, 2017
  5. CptK Win User
    While this assists me in some aspect. I really need to move the bulk of my data saved under program files. There are several games that are large in size that were saved there. I will know to manually select the HDD for a save location in the future. However, this doesn't help me to move the existing chunk of data now.

6. dalchina New Member
    You would need to reinstall them unless the game specifically allows you to move, say, saved games.

dalchina, Jan 20, 2017
  7. CptK Win User
    Thanks. Already started. Thank you!

CptK, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD - Similar Threads - Files saved SSD

2. SSD failed, recovered files - need to move from WindowsApps on SSD to new computer HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD failed, recovered files - need to move from WindowsApps on SSD to new computer HDD.: My computer hard disk failed. I am trying to recover files from that drive. I need to move a file from WindowsApps on that drive to a new drive on my new laptop. I am running into problems with permissions even though I have taken possession of the container... it still says...
  3. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  4. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  5. Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD: I moved my Windows 10 OS to my SSD via this guide: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/clean-install-of-windows-10-os-on-new-ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9 I don't want to format my HDD, and I thought i could...
  6. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  7. Moving from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  8. How to move program file on ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move program file on ssd to hdd: Can anyone please explain in detail if it is possible to make my program files running in OS on SSD to HDD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-move-program-file-on-ssd-to-hdd/1737445e-72ba-4252-9261-1bf3109791b4
  9. Working on SSD, saving on HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Working on SSD, saving on HDD?: Hi, Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere or if its wording is a bit confusing.. it is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2TB HDD which served as my primary (only) drive, until recently when we added a 500GB SSD. The...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows saved on ssd needs moving to hdd