Windows 10: Files that will not stay dead

Discus and support Files that will not stay dead in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a number of files which whatever I do I cannot remove. Having tried several wipe / shredding programs I hoped FoldersShredder would succeed, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, May 21, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Files that will not stay dead

I have a number of files which whatever I do I cannot remove. Having tried several wipe / shredding programs I hoped FoldersShredder would succeed, as it applies what seems a very thorough procedure.. Alas it has not worked, after several attempts. The file is 'deleted' as normal, but after re-booting it is back again in the same location.

I have tried wiping / shredding the empty space after deletion and even moving files to an external drive which is then formatted. All this suggests to me that the files somehow has an 'afterlife' somewhere else in the computer and its ghost is haunting me! One negative effect is that when I download an update to a program, then I click on it the deceased program launches, not the new one.

There is nothing special about these files as far as I can see. There are mp4, exe and setup files, including at least one which I did not download / create myself, an intruder I am keen to get rid of.

What is going on?

:)

clayto, May 21, 2017
  2. LCRT Win User

Windows 10 for Windows Phone 7.5?

No. its dead and will stay dead.

3. JJPP647 Win User
    activesync 4.5 cannot synchronise PC/ HTC touch WM6

yes , the pocketpc is connected as guest.

the boxes of calendar and contacts are correctly "checked" in the pocketpc

on the desktop only "explore" is working; start sync and schedule stay "dead"

in "file" = synchronise and mobile device stay "dead" only connection setting and close are working.

in "tools" = options, schedule, security , add server source are dead only add:remove program , explore device and advanced tols are working

as advised to me i tried to reconnect disconnecting firewall and antivirus . nothing happened

troubleshooter for activesync mention that there is no known issues found

thank for your help!

JJPP647, May 21, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Since the files return at reboot it appears to be a setting in Task Manager, Startup is at work, knowing the program name should allow unchecking it to discontinue it restarting. Also, in Control Panel, Programs and Features there should be a program associated with the files that can be uninstalled to eliminate the issue. Hard to give more as nothing is known about the program/files.

Berton, May 21, 2017
  5. thomaseg1 Win User
    Had this same problem with an installer for a videoconverter program. I was actually a virus program which
    kept rebuilding the installer everytime I deleted them. hunting it down took a lot of time and the main pain program
    changed the permissions to prevent deletions.
    Yours may are may not be similar but your first step should be the task manager.
    first look for the processes that are associated with the program and stop them.
    second go to the startup tab in taskmanager and disable the program.
    third delete the files again
    fourth restart........if they come back then comes the hard part
    open the registry editor and do a find for the program ( I don't know how adept you are at the registry}
    but you should export (backup) every entry you find before modifying or deleting it in case of trouble.

thomaseg1, May 22, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Having raised the the possibility that it's malware rebuilding itself, the first step should surely be a scan with AdwCleaner to remove it.

AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

7. clayto Win User
    Thanks for the helpful information and advice. I have not tried the fixes on programs yet (eg. PeaZip and HP Printer Drivre). I am concentrating on the mp4 file as I do not know how the suggestions relate to that. It is not a program, It does not have a 'name' but a long string of characters, I can find nothing relating to it in TaskManager or the much more detailed Glary TaskManager. Due I guess to the bashing I have given it, it corrupt so it does not now open with Photos or VLC etc. as it did, but it does open / play with File Viewer. Everything looks 'normal' (to me) in file details and properties, it is 33 megs. It appeared in the HP driver folder, which is itself among the undead. How did I drive a steak trough its heart?

As regards a possible virus infection I have Norton Security and Malwarebytes constantly running in the background but I have also run scans with no relevant results. AdWC is another matter. Until it was taken over by Malwarebytes I used it quite often but now it produces false positives, listing some of my most used programs. Unlike Malwarebytes which does the same I have not found a way of stopping it. The last scan (today) listed 41 objects, none of which I wanted to remove.

clayto, May 22, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Look at scheduled tasks you often find things hiding there

Samuria, May 22, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Many of the downloads of music, photos and videos I get from the Internet sites will have such a string of alphanumeric characters instead of a readable name. An example of an image posted on Show Us Your Desktop yesterday:
    4d1d74e801dccd69a60e5d07c9781dba.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...07c9781dba.jpg

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Files that will not stay dead - Similar Threads - Files stay dead

2. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  3. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  4. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead: While playing games and such, my ping is fine and consistent throughout the multiplayer experience but during everything else, I feel like I'm not receiving enough throughput. It fluctuates but always stays in the Kbps range and sometimes entering the 1Mbps range for a second...
  5. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead: While playing games and such, my ping is fine and consistent throughout the multiplayer experience but during everything else, I feel like I'm not receiving enough throughput. It fluctuates but always stays in the Kbps range and sometimes entering the 1Mbps range for a second...
  6. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Audio service shutting down randomly and staying dead when I manually restart it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio service shutting down randomly and staying dead when I manually restart it: For the last few days my windows 10 PC will suddenly kill the audio service (I normally notice because I try to start a youtube video and it won't load at all). I tried opening the audio services and restarting it, which makes it appear to start working but no audio comes...
  8. File Manager Deleted Files Stay on the Screen

File Manager Deleted Files Stay on the Screen: I am cleaning up my computer. I did a search of all .jpg files on drive C:, sorted by date. Then I try to delete groups of files. I select them and then I hit Shift Del. The dialog comes up asking if I want to permanently delete them. I acknowledge it and then seemingly...
  9. File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off'

File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off': Hi Guys I have been trying to disable 'File and Printer Sharing' in my Public network profile, and even after saving changes, every time I reboot my PC the File and Printer sharing option pops back to ON. Nothing I have tried keeps in the OFF position for Guest or Public...
  10. Network file and printer sharing will not stay on

Network file and printer sharing will not stay on: I have a desktop running Windows 10. Some time back I began to be unable to be seen by, or access, other computers on my home network. I checked setting in control panel and found "file and printer sharing" were turn off. When I tried to turn them on, they would be back to...