Windows 10: Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ?

Discus and support Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know what to clean up after an upgrade attempt from Win 8.1 Pro w/MC x64 to Win 10 Pro failed (posted separately about that)?? The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ex_Brit, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ex_Brit Win User

Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ?

Does anyone know what to clean up after an upgrade attempt from Win 8.1 Pro w/MC x64 to Win 10 Pro failed (posted separately about that)??

The reason I ask is when I tried it a second time it didn't get past the 1st reboot before sending me back to my old OS. That usually indicates a cleanup is needed.

The installer the first time around told me everything was fine, except I'd lose WMC. But I got a flashing logon screen which refused to work and eventually locked up. I used Safe Mode Advanced Recovery in that instance.

:)

Ex_Brit, Jul 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Error code: 0xC004C003, key blocked after clean install

That isn't true. I used the exact same procedure first on a laptop to verify it worked. From Win 8.1 Pro x64 upgrade to Win 10 x64. Once Win10 is activated, run Win 10 install from bootable disk and format/ clean install. I wouldn't have required a clean
    boot if things like start menu search worked in the upgrade...

engineered2win, Jul 30, 2015
  3. mrbillz Win User
    Win 10 Pro file explorer lockup opening NAS drives

greetings,

Win 10 pro upgrade from 8.1 pro on Hannspree netbook. Install went well, now when trying to access 2 different NAS boxes on my non domain network (simple workgroup setup) file explorer can't seem to access either of the drives, and when trying to abort the
    attempt, file explorer locks up for about 20 seconds. Somewhere in the process I picked up a persistent error that the temp file removal failed, and this now persists even after reboots.

Had no issues w/ NAS file access while under win 8.1. No config changes to either the NAS boxes or the win install that I have made. Also, no issues accessing from my other win 7 computers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

WRS

mrbillz, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Ex_Brit Win User
    As simple as that ? Good !! Thanks. It'll be in Win 8.1 but same difference as they say.

Ex_Brit, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    There may be other files that may be deleted in the usual way - if there's still odd stuff, get back to me here.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Ex_Brit Win User
    That seems to have taken care of everything, thanks. Now whether or not another attempt at upgrading will work, is another matter LOL.
    *Biggrin

Ex_Brit, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Hi Peter. Seems funny to see you here instead of in the vistax64 forum doling out Vista ISOs *Smile

Did you use the MS MediaCreationTool to download and create an ISO to use for the upgrade or did you do it via the Get Windows 10 icon or Windows Update?

I'd recommend downloading the iso then create a flash drive to install from or do as I did and just mount the ISO from Windows 8.1 and run setup.exe there. My first attempt failed at the shop so I cleaned up like you did then did the ISO create, mount and up-grade via setup.exe and it went perfect this time.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Ex_Brit Win User
    Hi,
    I'm still doling those out like always. I used MCT for the upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro and once I had removed things like Start 8, Aeroglass hack from MSFN and my A/V all went smoothly. I learned quickly not to accept their recommendations and used custom settings.
    The other system, my spare Win 7 Ultimate SP1 I have since upgraded using the ISO burned to a DVD. The tool failed "something happened" no matter what I did that I found by Googling that error. It went without a hitch.
    I must say it's a blessed relief to be shot of Product Keys.

Ex_Brit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Files To Clean Up After An Abortive Upgrade From Win 8.1 Pro x64 ? - Similar Threads - Files Clean Abortive

2. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  3. Raid 1 drive not working in Win 10 x64 after PC upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid 1 drive not working in Win 10 x64 after PC upgrade: Raid 1 drive not working in Win 10 x64 after PC upgrade Hi all, I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard, memory, and SSD. Cloned the SSD so I didn't have to reinstall Win10x64 OS. Most things went smoothly, but it was surprising that my 2 HDDs in simple RAID1 configuration didn't...
  4. Clean up files after Upgrade

Clean up files after Upgrade: Split from this thread. Can anyone help WhenI update windows 7 to windows 10 I encounter some problem so I came back to windows 10but there are some files which are from windows 10 what to do about that it is taking my disk space tell me, please...
  5. Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.

Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.: So, I've gone through hell to make bootable media to install x64 version of windows... I had previously downloaded a 64-bit version of windows 10 pro on an external drive As a backup version of windows incase of disaster. It helped once while it lasted with huge success and...
  6. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  7. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  8. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  9. Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?: Hi, So try to stick with me here. A couple years back I had issues with the Windows 7 update system and spent literally 8 hours on the phone with Microsoft technicians trying to figure out what is causing it, and how they can try to repair it remotely etc. For a booby...
  10. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...