Windows 10: Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts

Discus and support Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I'm surprised nobody has posted this solution before -- If you have computers with Local and Ms accounts you will often see the login panel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts

Hi there

I'm surprised nobody has posted this solution before -- If you have computers with Local and Ms accounts you will often see the login panel prompting for a user name when trying to access the Shares on the computer with the MS account FROM the one with the local account.

the STUPID thing is that it's not documented at all.

The trick is to use the part of the email address BEFORE the @email (on the Ms account) as the User id and also enter your MS account password for the machine -- works fine.

You can also check - just look in the folder USERS (on the machine with the Ms account) and ensure the name exists.

Finally --what a DOG.

(Note I'm still not sure what to do when trying to connect to a LOCAL machine FROM the Ms Account -- the above solution works for connecting FROM a LOCAL machine TO an Ms account).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015
  2. elkstreet Win User

Windows 10 mail app frozen

Finally fixed it! Another discussion suggest logging in as a "local" account then re-logging in with MS account. Here's what I did:

1. Logged out of MS account

2. Logged in local account (caused the "setting up" process. Took a long time).

3. Rebooted

4. Logged in as MS account.

elkstreet, Jul 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Mail freezes after the latest update on August 7th

I saw this another possible fix:

Finally fixed it! Another discussion suggest logging in as a "local" account then re-logging in with MS account. Here's what I did:

1. Logged out of MS account

2. Logged in local account (caused the "setting up" process. Took a long time).

3. Rebooted

4. Logged in as MS account.

Maybe this will work for you.

stephenw1994, Jul 23, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Not really sure where you are coming from, jimbo. The partial email address usually bears no resemblance to the userid so you have me stumped! Maybe you have made it so but I would hazard that most will not have.

Way back, it was established that the credential username was computername\userid. This works fine, here, whether going from local to MS or vice versa.

The clue to needing the computername is the Domain name in the credential prompt. It is the client computer name not the server computer name.

So, call me confused with your post!!

5. Mystere Win User
    Jimbo, at least twice I asked you if you had done exactly this in the NUMEROUS posts you have made about this. You assured me you weren't stupid and had tried this. Apparently, you hadn't.

Mystere, Jul 24, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    @ Mystere - Sorry, forgot to attribute my network fix to you.

linw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts - Similar Threads - Finally cracked Sharing

2. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  3. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  4. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  5. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  6. Sharing folders in local network to "specific people" when MS account the same

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders in local network to "specific people" when MS account the same: I have PC and notebook attached to same Microsoft account (log in options set to not asking me for password every time I starting PC or notebook). When sharing folders in "Specific people" there 3 options in dropdown list: my Microsoft account, Everyone and "Create new user"....
  7. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  8. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...
  9. Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs: I can't access my laptop which is using a Microsoft account from my Desktop using a local account. Both running Windows 10 Pro X64. I'm using workgroup, not homegroup. I know I've read of people making this work but I'm not having any luck finding those threads now so...
  10. Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!: Hi there Good news for people who go the Upgrade route to 9926 and who use a LOCAL account. You don't get prompted at all to set up / use an Ms account and you don't have to disconnect from the Internet to avoid the set up as in previous builds. Note though some...