Windows 10: Finally installed Win 10, not impressed

Discus and support Finally installed Win 10, not impressed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I finally installed Win10 on one of my PC's. My first impression is its Windows 8, but in my case without metro. I like the Start8, which makes Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fireberd, Nov 25, 2014.

1. fireberd Win User

Finally installed Win 10, not impressed

I finally installed Win10 on one of my PC's. My first impression is its Windows 8, but in my case without metro.

I like the Start8, which makes Win 8 work like Win 7 better than the start menu in Win 10.

Jack

:)

fireberd, Nov 25, 2014

2. Cortana can't hear me Finally installed Win 10, not impressed :(

Yes, I tried all of them and many more. All completely useless. So, I finally gave in and contacted Microsoft support online. Turns out my fresh install of Win 10 failed to install the proper drivers for the sound card. They downloaded and installed the
    correct one in about ten minutes. It left me with the impression that they knew about this bug long ago. I have no idea why they have not posted the fix.

JuneMoonson, Nov 25, 2014
  3. Jack-6009 Win User
    Windows 10 Reserved, but I don't want to/can't install it (work software conflict)

Andre, I am running Win 10 Preview in a Dual boot system with Win 7, on my old Dell Laptop, and I am very happy with it and I was looking forward to installing the final version when it was released by Microsoft on the the 29th.

I reserved a copy for this laptop, and used the reservation syatem to check it was OK for Win 10. It passed.

No mention of needing NX on the processor.

I have received the invite to download the update into win 7, the files downloded, prepared to install, ran the install, then Microsoft decided that my pc was not suitable for Win 10 because my processor is not NX capable.

I have run Win 10 Preview fron Bulid 10074 right upto Build 10240 on this laptop ans was very impressed, but now I cannoy proceed.

Very disappointed with the Microsoft checks.

Jack

Jack-6009, Nov 25, 2014
  4. Rickkins Win User

Quite right. Although I feel they are at least moving in the right direction, their new start menu fails because they seem determined to force metro onto users, whether they want it or not. Some do, fine. Some don't. That should be fine too. For some bizarre reason, they seem to be holding out hope that people will 'come around', and this persistent drive to forcibly include metro seems to me to be in furtherance of that aim.

Rickkins, Nov 25, 2014
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Up to now I like 10. Footprint and performance are very good. The start menu is ridiculous. It's the 8.1 start squeezed into a smaller box. I changed it to the original 8.1 format. At least I can read things - especially in All Apps. The rest of it is pure 8.1, but that is OK.

6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Was a duplicate, sorry

7. Yep that was my impression as well not all that different than 8.1... which is sad,
    I too had issues seeing the text list and it uses a bazar font is all I can come up with if the text was at least the same size as the icons possibly it might be different :/
    Most webpages... seem fine but 10 adds nothing worth using it for as a primary os unfortunately so far,
    10 will no doubt just be another extra os toy to visit once every blue moon much like 8 was which I have not re-installed either,
    I doubt Microsoft will see the light or I for that matter see Microsoft's vision of the future *Tongue

ThrashZone, Nov 25, 2014
  8. LittleJay Win User

So far I quite like W10 TP, but have to agree that it doesn't offer much over W8.1. Since I like the Start Screen having a Start Menu isn't an issue for me.

LittleJay, Nov 25, 2014
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    I actually have no issue with start as long as I can opt out of it and use the 8.1 format which suits me well.

10. Yes 10 does need allot more customizing options no doubt about it *Smile
    A user should not have to rely on third parties to fill the gap most at extra costs to do them *Wink

ThrashZone, Nov 25, 2014
  11. fireberd Win User
    I'll give them that this is a "Beta" version and the final may not even be close to what we have now. But, the Beta looks and acts an awful lot like 8.1 and not a major shift as the news about it suggested.

fireberd, Nov 26, 2014
  12. For me the Beta works to much like Windows 7 (with apps)

Hopefully the consumer preview will change things so it is not as desktop oriented (or at least give an option for this)

paulsalter, Nov 26, 2014
  13. Winuser Win User

I do like some of the changes in Windows 10. I'm still not sure I'll be upgrading to 10 when it goes final though. With each release instead of the bugs I'm having getting fixed, More are being introduced. Yes I know 10 is not in it's final stages and we will have a few bugs. When 10 does go final two things will have to happen for me to upgrade. 1. the bugs I'm having will have to be fixed. 2. Windows 10 will have a discount price for those running Windows 8.1.1 or Windows 10 TP.

Winuser, Nov 26, 2014
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    It is probably smart not to jump on the RTM immediately. Wait for 6 months and let the others debig it first.

15. I agree.
    The fact that the new preview versions are getting worse, instead of better, is dampening my enthusiasm. *Sad

One of my SevenForums comments:
    W7 Prediction - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    A discount price would be nice.
    It didn't entice me to buy W8 though.

W10 needs to work out-of-the-box AND not be annoying.

lehnerus2000, Nov 27, 2014
Thema:

1. Finally installed Win 10, not impressed - Similar Threads - Finally installed impressed

2. Finally installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finally installed: A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO PROVIDE ME WITH AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE. I WISH EVERYONE A HEALTHY AND SAFE NEW YEAR WITH MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES...
  3. Finally installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finally installed: A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO PROVIDE ME WITH AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE. I WISH EVERYONE A HEALTHY AND SAFE NEW YEAR WITH MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES...
  4. Finally installed

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I'm Definitely NOT Impressed. Windows 2004 will not install.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I'm Definitely NOT Impressed. Windows 2004 will not install.: Yesterday Windows Update presented 2004 for the first time. I tried the following... (1) Several attempts to install via standard WU. All failed with a variety of error codes. (2) Tried the Windows Update Assistant. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 Again...
  6. Win 10 recognised all new hardware. Very impressed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 recognised all new hardware. Very impressed.: Having sold the guts of my old PC to help pay to create a new one, I must say I'm pretty impressed at how Windows 10 handles new hardware. I just went from a Core i5 2300 on a Gigabyte Z68 MB with 8GB 1333 DDR3 to a Core i5 6500 on an Asrock Z170 mATX MB and 8 GB 2133...
  7. Finally installed Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Support
    Finally installed Windows 10...: So I FINALLY got around to installing the Windows 10 build 9926 onto my main system, as the VM of it would not allow me to sign into my Microsoft Account whatsoever. Wow. It's not the "whoa" I once had about three years ago with the Windows 8 Developer Preview, but wow....
  8. Impression of OS 10 to date?

in Windows 10 Support
    Impression of OS 10 to date?: I may be new to this Forum, however I get the impression from the number and variety of posts, that 10 has been rushed through and has too many flaws. This may have been that MS CEO demanded too short a timescale, Investor pressure, or the Code writers @ MS are just not...
  9. impressed! but questions

in Windows 10 Support
    impressed! but questions: just downloaded the free upgrade from win 8.1 to 10, from install of losing the desktop to getting it back in win 10 only took 22 mins! I like edge browser but how do I get extensions? I read somewhere that they where compatible with chrome extensions however when I go...
  10. Windows 10 Impressions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Impressions: FYI: I write long posts. If you want short posts, hang out over in Twitter Land. I am also using a touchscreen laptop and own a smartphone. I don't have a need for a tablet, personally. All in all I'm pleased with the direction of Windows 10. We have more optimization for...