Windows 10: Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

Discus and support Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 Notepad is a simple text editor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Glenn, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Glenn Win User

Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

How to: Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

Notepad is a simple text editor included in Windows and a basic text-editing program which enables computer users to create documents.

You can search to find text in Notepad, and search to find and replace text in Notepad.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17713, Microsoft made significant improvements to the find/replace experience in Notepad. Microsoft added the option to do wrap-around find/replace to the find dialog and Notepad will now remember previously entered values and the state of checkboxes and automatically populate them the next time you open the find dialog. Additionally, when you have text selected and open the find dialog it will automatically populate the search field with the selected text.

This tutorial will show you how to find and replace text within a document in Notepad in Windows 10.

Contents

OPTION ONE [/i] To Find Text in Notepad
    1 While in Notepad, perform one of the following actions you want to search and find text: (see screenshots below)
    • Press the Ctrl + F keys.
    • Select (highlight) text you want to search and find, and press the Ctrl+F keys.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Find.
    2 Type what you want to find in the Find what field if it doesn't already have what you want.

3 Check or uncheck the Match case box for what you want.

4 Check or uncheck the Wrap around box for what you want.

Wrap around is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17713.

5 Select (dot) Up or Down for the Direction where the cursor is at within the text you want to find from.

6 When you are ready to starting finding the text entered in step 2, perform one of the following actions you want:
    • Click/tap on the Find Next button.
    • Press the F3 key. If the Find dialog is currently open, then you will need to click/tap on the Find Next button at least once first.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Find Next. This option will not work if the Find dialog is currently open.
    7 Repeat step 6 to find all instances of the text entered in step 2, and/or click/tap on OK when it cannot find any other instances.

Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Replace Text in Notepad
    1 While in Notepad, perform one of the following actions you want to search and find text to replace: (see screenshots below)
    • Press the Ctrl + H keys.
    • Select (highlight) text you want to search and find, and press the Ctrl + H keys.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Replace.
    2 Type what you want to find in the Find what field if it doesn't already have what you want.

3 Type what you want to replace text with from step 2 in the Replace with field.

4 Check or uncheck the Match case box for what you want.

5 Check or uncheck the Wrap around box for what you want.

Wrap around is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17713.

6 When you are ready to start to find text entered in step 2, perform one of the following actions you want:
    • Click/tap on the Find Next button.
    • Press the F3 key. If the Replace dialog is currently open, then you will need to click/tap on the Find Next button at least once first.
    7 If you want to replace this specific text found with text entered in step 3, click/tap on the Replace button.

You can click/tap on the Replace All button instead if you want to go ahead and automatically replace all found text from step 2 with text entered in step 3.

8 Repeat step 6 and step 7 to find and replace all instances of text you want, and/or click/tap on OK when it cannot find any other instances.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Glenn, Aug 4, 2016

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Insert a new line character in a text file with a with the find/replace in notepad

I am trying to insert a new line character in a text file with NotePads Find/Replace menu item in windows 10.

Can anyone give any help with this?

Thanks for your time,

Garry

Garry.Smith, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Text suggestions doesn’t display in Notepad after updating to Windows 10 1903

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that while typing in Notepad, you are unable to see text suggestions. I would suggest you check the settings mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Devices, and click on
      Typing
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, toggle the switch to on for Show text suggestions as I type on the software keyboard.
    4. Under Hardware keyboard, toggle the switch to on for
      Show text suggestions as I type.
    5. Scroll down and click on Suggestions and autocorrections.
    6. Toggle the switch to on for the language that you are using under
      Choose which languages use SwiftKey suggestions and autocorrections.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Text suggestions doesn’t display in Notepad after updating to Windows 10 1903

Thanks a lot,

First, once I had opened the settings, I found, under the Typing section that "Show text suggestions as I type on the software keyboard"
    is already turned on.

Second, under Hardware keyboard, when switching to
    on for Show text suggestions as I type and Suggestions and autocorrections, I found only text suggestion got shown. However, I don't see any autocorrection functioning,

Third, I didn't find such "Choose which languages use SwiftKey suggestions and autocorrections."
    under which I can toggle the switch to on for the language that I are using.

Instead, I only found

Multilingual text suggestions:

Show text suggestion based on the recognised languages you're typing in.

I am having the language display of Windows 10 set to English.

So, even when I toggled the switch to 'on' under "Show text suggestion based on the recognised languages you're typing in.", I am not seeing any text suggestion while typing in my Arabic language.

Final, do you think these settings will only be applied while typing in any MS Windows 10 apps, such as Notepad, Wordpad, etc. However, while typing in "Windows
    search bar," "MS Edge Explorer", "MS Word Office", etc, then I'll not see any test suggestion showing to me?

a cooperator, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Bree Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Thema:

1. Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Replace Text

2. How to replace Notepad with Notepad++ in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to replace Notepad with Notepad++ in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Notepad is the default text editor found in Windows computers. Every .txt file is configured to open directly in the Notepad. It has paved the way for text editors over quite some time now, in which period we have seen some very promising competitors of Notepad. One...
  3. Notepad replaced by WordPad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad replaced by WordPad: Hello, I formatted my windows and after that i got wordpad the default program for .txt files. How I can get back the default Notepad? I searched about it in the windows but seems it's not installed. Appreciete your help....
  4. How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you need to search for and replace a word or phrase in Notepad, then you can use this step by step guide to find […] This article How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Replace Notepad in Windows 10 1909 with Dark Notepad

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Replace Notepad in Windows 10 1909 with Dark Notepad: Yesterday I downloaded Dark Notepad from the Microsoft Store. It is a dark mode version of regular notepad. The problem is I assumed that when I installed Dark Notepad it would replace Notepad....NOT. I now have both notepads and a big problem. I opened Dark Notepad and...
  6. Find and Replace with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find and Replace with Windows 10: I have many files in a subdirectory that I need to add an "a" after the current name and prior to .jpg. In Windows 7 I could use "find and replace." Such as Find 0.jpg and Replace with 0a.jpg. After doing that for all 10 digits all of the 1000+ files would be renamed. I...
  7. Notepad command line to open file and find text ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Notepad command line to open file and find text ?: Hello & Thanks , I would like to call Notepad from another program sending to it a command line to open Filename and FIND a specific text . Plz , How can this be done ? Thanks 133107
  8. Insert a new line character in a text file with a with the find/replace in notepad

Insert a new line character in a text file with a with the find/replace in notepad: I am trying to insert a new line character in a text file with NotePads Find/Replace menu item in windows 10. Can anyone give any help with this? Thanks for your time, Garry...
  9. how to replace notepad

how to replace notepad: my info on notepad got erased https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/how-to-replace-notepad/7f6fba0e-1332-4500-89a6-667296e7fd58
  10. Using windows 10 text replacement

in Windows 10 Support
    Using windows 10 text replacement: I want to, for example, type in "ccd" and have it automatically replaced with my credit card number. I've done it before but can't remember how to do it. Thanks, 98261

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert text to english in notepad in windows 10

2. text replacement windows 10