Windows 10: Find files that are NOT backed up ?

Discus and support Find files that are NOT backed up ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I backed up my files to another drive and I think they are okay, but how can i check to be sure that they are all backed up okay and find those that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017.

1. WalterCT Win User

Find files that are NOT backed up ?

I backed up my files to another drive and I think they are okay, but how can i check to be sure that they are all backed up okay and find those that aren't ?

I moved some about, so I cannot just compare the directories exactly.

:)

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017

2. Cannot find files that are on Network Folders

Hi David,

Thanks for responding.

1. No, there were no error messages. Simply reports file not found.

2. No other troubleshooting other than rebuild index.

3. Yes, other users also encounter this issue - "Cannot find files in Network Folders".

They have also rebuilt index. We are in Domain network. Other Users also use Windows 10

Best Regards,

Alfred

AlfredHong, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Cannot find files that are on Network Folders

Hello Support,

Windows 10 cannot find my files on Network Folders even though they were able to find in previous versions of Windows.

I used Windows 7 Pro before I upgraded to Windows 10, and since then, nothing but endless pain for doing Searches.

I have rebuilt my index several times, so that is not a solution.

Would appreciate some genuine help pls.

At Wits End,

Alfred Hong

Moved from:
    Windows
    /
    Windows 10
    /
    Cortana & search

AlfredHong, Aug 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You might possibly use a duplicate file finder program to do the comparison:
    E.g. Auslogics Duplicate file finder

Best to use a competent backup program which supports verification and scheduling. There are free backup programs- doing that manually is inadvisable.

dalchina, Aug 28, 2017
  5. WalterCT Win User
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I use a backup program, TrueSafe, but when I move my files around ( to classify my photos ) it backs up the same files AGAIN, wasting space.
    So I want to know which files are not backed up and only copy them.

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  6. WalterCT Win User
    WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Perhaps, one way to sniff out non-backed files is to use a file-sync program that compares source and target, and if set to mirror, will make the target the same as the source.

RolandJS, Aug 28, 2017
  8. WalterCT Win User

No, I think mirroring is not what I want - The problem is that I copied a LOT of files to the backup, then moved them around in the Source, into subfolders etc. and added just a few new files ( I was categorising photos and adding some new ones ).

I did not want to mirror the entire new Source structure, because that would duplicate and waste a LOT of backup space. I just want to copy over the few new files.
    So I needed to know which files in the Source were not stored somewhere in the Backup.

Which that Backupchecker thing did.

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    WalterCT, what url did you get backupchecker from? My googling returned too many unknown-to-me download sites.

RolandJS, Aug 29, 2017
  10. WalterCT Win User
    Hi Roland,

I searched in the official Windows Store for check backup or something like that. Not even as many hits as I expected. (And how crap is that store in general. No way too search by stars even !)

WalterCT, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Find files that are NOT backed up ? - Similar Threads - Find files are

2. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I find my backed up files: I did a fresh windows install and backed up my files on to an external hard drive.I did not back my files up while logged into Microsoft. I have the files on my pc but I can't seem to restore them. I've tried file history but nothing comes up other than the account I created....
  3. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find my backed up files: I did a fresh windows install and backed up my files on to an external hard drive.I did not back my files up while logged into Microsoft. I have the files on my pc but I can't seem to restore them. I've tried file history but nothing comes up other than the account I created....
  4. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Back up files

Back up files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-files/a08a8c70-05ce-4516-914d-a7c3b2e8af5a
  6. Back Up Files

Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  7. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  8. Backing Up Files

Backing Up Files: I have set up the backup feature in settings to an external hard drive via Expansion D. It states that files have been backed up to FileHistory but when I check it contains no files. What am I doing wrong?...
  9. backing up files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up files: I want to change the drive and user that is being used on my computer. They are currently in (F) files user lat10 which is an incorrect user. I want to backup to drive (E) with Linda as the user. I also have many, many files under lat10 that were under lat101 until...
  10. back up files

back up files: cant find my back up files for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/back-up-files/007e4ca4-6dc2-4498-b5cb-dbf1507d738c