Windows 10: Find files that are NOT backed up ?

Discus and support Find files that are NOT backed up ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I backed up my files to another drive and I think they are okay, but how can i check to be sure that they are all backed up okay and find those that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017.

1. WalterCT Win User

Find files that are NOT backed up ?

I backed up my files to another drive and I think they are okay, but how can i check to be sure that they are all backed up okay and find those that aren't ?

I moved some about, so I cannot just compare the directories exactly.

:)

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017

2. Cannot find files that are on Network Folders

Hi David,

Thanks for responding.

1. No, there were no error messages. Simply reports file not found.

2. No other troubleshooting other than rebuild index.

3. Yes, other users also encounter this issue - "Cannot find files in Network Folders".

They have also rebuilt index. We are in Domain network. Other Users also use Windows 10

Best Regards,

Alfred

AlfredHong, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Cannot find files that are on Network Folders

Hello Support,

Windows 10 cannot find my files on Network Folders even though they were able to find in previous versions of Windows.

I used Windows 7 Pro before I upgraded to Windows 10, and since then, nothing but endless pain for doing Searches.

I have rebuilt my index several times, so that is not a solution.

Would appreciate some genuine help pls.

At Wits End,

Alfred Hong

Moved from:
    Windows
    /
    Windows 10
    /
    Cortana & search

AlfredHong, Aug 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You might possibly use a duplicate file finder program to do the comparison:
    E.g. Auslogics Duplicate file finder

Best to use a competent backup program which supports verification and scheduling. There are free backup programs- doing that manually is inadvisable.

dalchina, Aug 28, 2017
  5. WalterCT Win User
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I use a backup program, TrueSafe, but when I move my files around ( to classify my photos ) it backs up the same files AGAIN, wasting space.
    So I want to know which files are not backed up and only copy them.

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  6. WalterCT Win User
    WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Perhaps, one way to sniff out non-backed files is to use a file-sync program that compares source and target, and if set to mirror, will make the target the same as the source.

RolandJS, Aug 28, 2017
  8. WalterCT Win User

No, I think mirroring is not what I want - The problem is that I copied a LOT of files to the backup, then moved them around in the Source, into subfolders etc. and added just a few new files ( I was categorising photos and adding some new ones ).

I did not want to mirror the entire new Source structure, because that would duplicate and waste a LOT of backup space. I just want to copy over the few new files.
    So I needed to know which files in the Source were not stored somewhere in the Backup.

Which that Backupchecker thing did.

WalterCT, Aug 28, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    WalterCT, what url did you get backupchecker from? My googling returned too many unknown-to-me download sites.

RolandJS, Aug 29, 2017
  10. WalterCT Win User
    Hi Roland,

I searched in the official Windows Store for check backup or something like that. Not even as many hits as I expected. (And how crap is that store in general. No way too search by stars even !)

WalterCT, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Find files that are NOT backed up ? - Similar Threads - Find files are

2. copy and back up files

in Windows 10 Customization
    copy and back up files: Win 10 I have backed up and copied all files of my satnav in car navigation system to a SD card successfully however it is not recognised by the sat navigation all files as per the original are present within the new SD card Help Please...
  3. back up file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    back up file: I had a MAC computer and I had all my files backed up to an external drive and also on to my new HP computer. However, I need to find my sage accounting file and I can not seem to find it nor do I know what to look for on the back up. I thought when I opened the back up all...
  4. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  5. back up files to free up space

back up files to free up space: My computer can't install updates because it doesn't have any space on C. I purchased a seagate back up drive but I'm not sure haow to move files to the new drive. I keep getting a message about xbox but I don't have that....
  6. Save Backed up File

Save Backed up File: How do I save a backed up file on my desktop to a flash drive in a USB port? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-backed-up-file/b5839709-49a0-4869-84f6-e709b0b7232c"
  7. backing up files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up files: I want to change the drive and user that is being used on my computer. They are currently in (F) files user lat10 which is an incorrect user. I want to backup to drive (E) with Linda as the user. I also have many, many files under lat10 that were under lat101 until...
  8. File history not backing up all files.

File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...
  9. back up files

back up files: cant find my back up files for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/back-up-files/007e4ca4-6dc2-4498-b5cb-dbf1507d738c
  10. Which macrium back up files can be opened to explore backed up files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Which macrium back up files can be opened to explore backed up files?: When I back up my drives macrium 7 creates 2 files an xml file and a disk partition image file what is the purpose and relationship between these two files? Can the partition image file be opened to explore the backed up data? If so, how? 107403