Windows 10: Find large *folders* on hard disks

Discus and support Find large *folders* on hard disks in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GarySt, Jul 7, 2018.

1. GarySt Win User

Find large *folders* on hard disks

My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these folders in windows. Trying to search via Win Explorer Search option: "size:gigantic kind:=folder", simply doesn't work. It gives me only files.
    Note that it must be that there IS some large folders: e.g., C: is a folder. And it is larger than "gigantic". (The search should be recursive of course).

Help!*Sick

:)

GarySt, Jul 7, 2018

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jul 7, 2018
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Dani Pun Win User

Large thumbnails as default to entire folders. Is possible?

Hi Kris,

We'd love to help you out with your concern.

You can set large thumbnails as default by doing the following steps:

• Go to the folder that you want to change the view settings and set it to Large view.
    • Click on View tab, then click Options (Note: If a menu drops down, select
      Change folder and search options).
    • From Options, click on the View tab, then click on the
      Apply to Foldersbutton.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Dani Pun, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Find large *folders* on hard disks - Similar Threads - Find large *folders*

2. Hard Disk Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Disk Error: Hard Disk Error Hard Disk 6 (3F6) (Disk tests OK in Diags but won't Boot) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-error/d1182320-c9d2-4f43-8b98-17f66d446577
  3. Clean hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean hard disk: I was wondering about using Darik,s Boot and Nuke to clean the hard disk and install windows pro a question for greg maccormack thanks gary https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-hard-disk/4ddd9e55-3b50-4b95-ab5a-c88d0292f245
  4. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS420 desktop. The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks, which were set up in Raid Mirror. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage...
  5. HARD DISK WITH ERRORS

HARD DISK WITH ERRORS: Windows detected a hard disk problem. The following was included: Disk Name: WDC WD10s21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB; Volume: C:\D:\ Do you know what this is indicating?...
  6. Hard disk corruption

Hard disk corruption: Does to many times doing clean installation ,resetting the pc or installing/ uninstalling programs corrupts the hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/hard-disk-corruption/673ac6c8-2d6a-46f9-8a6b-c54d2d6a7052
  7. Hard disk problem

Hard disk problem: My hard disk get converted from basic to dynamic. How to convert a hard disk from Dynamic to Basic without loss of data?[ATTACH] I tried too many apps to fix it, but i failed.. please suggest me any better solution.....
  8. Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk: Hi All.. I have installed windows 10 enterprise but i have 2 additional hard disk it shown on device manager but not in disk management i do really need some help in this regard ..i really dont know and i couldn't find any where any solution. all you tube video i see...
  9. Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment: I can find my SSD as my C: but for some reason my D: will not show up on the list. I ran a chkdsk and it can find and analyze D Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 976629759 KB total disk space. 491134428 KB in...
  10. Installing a large hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a large hard disk: Hello! If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not manage to install it correctly. Unfortunately I live far from him and I will have the chance to visit him at weekend. Before...