Windows 10: Find large *folders* on hard disks

Discus and support Find large *folders* on hard disks in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GarySt, Jul 7, 2018.

1. GarySt Win User

Find large *folders* on hard disks

My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these folders in windows. Trying to search via Win Explorer Search option: "size:gigantic kind:=folder", simply doesn't work. It gives me only files.
    Note that it must be that there IS some large folders: e.g., C: is a folder. And it is larger than "gigantic". (The search should be recursive of course).

Help!*Sick

:)

GarySt, Jul 7, 2018

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jul 7, 2018
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Dani Pun Win User

Large thumbnails as default to entire folders. Is possible?

Hi Kris,

We'd love to help you out with your concern.

You can set large thumbnails as default by doing the following steps:

• Go to the folder that you want to change the view settings and set it to Large view.
    • Click on View tab, then click Options (Note: If a menu drops down, select
      Change folder and search options).
    • From Options, click on the View tab, then click on the
      Apply to Foldersbutton.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Dani Pun, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Find large *folders* on hard disks - Similar Threads - Find large *folders*

2. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  3. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  4. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive: I have a 1 year old Western Digital 12TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive that I use to back up all my critical data. Had a planned backup for a 400GB folder today and plugged the hard drive in. I copied and transferred the folder over and left to let it so it's thing.However I...
  6. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive: I have a 1 year old Western Digital 12TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive that I use to back up all my critical data. Had a planned backup for a 400GB folder today and plugged the hard drive in. I copied and transferred the folder over and left to let it so it's thing.However I...
  7. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  9. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  10. Installing a large hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a large hard disk: Hello! If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not manage to install it correctly. Unfortunately I live far from him and I will have the chance to visit him at weekend. Before...