Windows 10: Find like files of single folder across whole computer

Discus and support Find like files of single folder across whole computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to use a single folder as a base for file compare but scan the whole computer for like or same file/folder names.My archive folders are as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ZippyDSMlee, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Find like files of single folder across whole computer

I want to use a single folder as a base for file compare but scan the whole computer for like or same file/folder names.My archive folders are as fragmented as my mind. 0-o

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Jan 7, 2017
  2. Mommyx4 Win User

Restore down on any of my windows folders not working. Instead freezes up, starts flashing and wont restore. On windows 10

I figured out the problem.

There was a folder that was minimized (restored down) to a size that the computer found too small. Every folder I opened would flash due to this.

The fix was to find the actual folder that started the whole mess... the one that was originally minimized to the offensive size per the computer.

I clicked on the folder today and I knew it was the one because when it popped up it was not flashing like crazy like all the others... it was the same size 2x3 but no crazy flashing occurring. Another big difference was that I was able to use my mouse and
    increase the size of the folder by dragging the sides which I have been unable to do on all the other folders.

I dragged the sides until the folder was a larger minimized size and just like that the problem was gone.

I hope this helps everyone who comes across this problem. Find the original folder that was minimized (restored down) to the "too small" size and then resize that folder, everything will go back to normal once done.

Mommyx4, Jan 7, 2017
  3. Windows explorer can't find file types in a Google Drive folder, but can find them on the whole computer

Hello!

I'm trying to search a specific folder for a filetype in my Google Drive folder like this:

Search Google Drive: *.pdf

..and I got "No items match your search".

But when I search the whole computer (either "This PC" or "C:") I can find them.

Is there any way to fix this? I don't need to search the whole C; drive every time I need a file.

Thanks

ClayRehling, Jan 7, 2017
  4. Find like files of single folder across whole computer

You may want to look at CCleaner. It has a function to report duplicate files on an entire disk.

storageman, Jan 8, 2017
  5. Was hoping one program could work to com pare a folder to all hardrives. Blah

ZippyDSMlee, Jan 8, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Gosh, this is something that could be scripted out but nothing that I'm aware of a program already supporting. Because the contents of the "base folder" defines a well-circumscribed universe of object to match, it's not a terribly difficult program. The only enhancement I'd suggest is to test hits to see if they're also hard-linked files. That's because each link to a single copy of a file will be reported as a duplicate, even though there's really only one physical copy plus a bunch of links...
    Pseudo-code:
    For all files in "base folder"
    Set search target
    Search all drives for matches to search target
    Check if hit is linked file of some kind
    Report non-linked files as duplicate --or-- take action on duplicate

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
  7. Well I only need to roughly match a folder name or the name of the file within the base folder but not the files in the sub folders. Then run a search per HDD letter for a single file type.

This may be doable with Windows command line search tool but I am unsure, just have it output to a text file but again I am unsure of it all.

I am a scattered brained fool thus I need esoteric things to un paint myself out of a corner LOL

ZippyDSMlee, Jan 8, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

Find like files of single folder across whole computer

Yes, you could do it either in a batch (.BAT) file or in a PowerShell (.PS1) script file. I can provide pointers to good reference and resource materials on either or both of these environments, if needed.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
  9. Which would be better for this? PS seems to be replacing bats bit by bit so PS would be if just to learn a bit more about it..

ZippyDSMlee, Jan 9, 2017
  10. Try PS if you want learning experience but the task itself could be much easier if you try using a dup file cleaner. I use DuplicateCleaner from Digital Volcano. I use the Pro version so you'll need check all functionality you need is also in their freeware version. To make searching easy, I'd move the Base Folder to a separate volume so you can compare it to all other volume(s) on computer. It allows for Similar filename as search criteria but never tried that option

Here's sample snapshots for setting Scan Location and Search Criteria based on v3.2.7. (They have a newer version out i haven't upgraded to yet. imagine it has still more options/flexibility)

Find like files of single folder across whole computer [​IMG]

Find like files of single folder across whole computer [​IMG]

ComputerGeek, Jan 9, 2017
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Great suggestions, ComputerGeek! I'll have to try this for myself. And FWIW, I also agree with your advice about tackling PowerShell instead of the batch files/command line. MS has clearly indicate that while cmd.exe is not going away, PowerShell is the admin automation platform for today and tomorrow.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Find like files of single folder across whole computer

1. Find like files of single folder across whole computer - Similar Threads - Find files single

2. Cloning a folder across two computers, while also deleting the missing files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a folder across two computers, while also deleting the missing files: Hi! I have a desktop and a laptop, both containing a folder with the same name which is approximately 8 GB. I would like to exactly share the folder across the two computers.The best solution for me, so far, has been copying and pasting the folder using the Network; in order...
  3. Cloning a folder across two computers, while also deleting the missing files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning a folder across two computers, while also deleting the missing files: Hi! I have a desktop and a laptop, both containing a folder with the same name which is approximately 8 GB. I would like to exactly share the folder across the two computers.The best solution for me, so far, has been copying and pasting the folder using the Network; in order...
  4. Whole folder vanished

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whole folder vanished: This is happening for some time. A file saved to desktop or D: drive vanishes right after saving it. In the past, I did not care much about this delinquent behavior because the files vanished were not of important. But today a whole folder vanished after saving it to D:...
  5. Whole folder vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whole folder vanished: This is happening for some time. A file saved to desktop or D: drive vanishes right after saving it. In the past, I did not care much about this delinquent behavior because the files vanished were not of important. But today a whole folder vanished after saving it to D:...
  6. Whole folder vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Copy whole program folder to another computer.

Copy whole program folder to another computer.: Can I copy a whole program folder eg. C:\Program Files x86\Google\Chrome for Google Chrome and paste it into a USB. Then, copy the whole program folder from the USB to another computer. Is it workable to start the program on the another computer?...
  8. Why doesn't share work with a whole folder, but one single file?

Why doesn't share work with a whole folder, but one single file?: I want to share a whole folder from my win 10 desktop, to my win 10 laptop, but share is making me do it one file at a time. How can I get it to send them all at once? G...
  9. How to share folder across for computers on a network

How to share folder across for computers on a network: We have gotten a MyBook for shared file access in our office, how can we provide full permissions to all users in the office? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-folder-across-for-computers-on-a/ae610736-ac18-4c5f-b109-97f4af526018"
  10. Backup single file in folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup single file in folder: Hi Is there any simple way, not involving 3rd party software to get File History to backup a single file in a folder? I'm trying to backup the Google Chrome bookmarks file, the file itself is about 1k but it's in a folder with 1Gb of files and I don't need to backup any...