Windows 10: Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows

Discus and support Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows How to Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows Sometimes, you need to know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Pyprohly, May 19, 2017.

1. Pyprohly Win User

Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows

How to: Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows

How to Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows

Sometimes, you need to know what the security identifier (SID) is for a specific user on the system.

A SID is a string value of variable length that is used to uniquely identify users or groups, and control their access to various resources like files, registry keys, network shares etc. Each account has a unique SID that an authority, such as a Windows domain, issues. The SID is stored in the security database. When a user logs on, the system retrieves the user SID from the database, places the SID in the user access token, and then uses the SID in the user access token to identify the user in all subsequent interactions with Windows security. Each SID is a unique identifier for a user or group, and a different user or group cannot have the same SID.

See also: Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to find the security identifier (SID) of a user account in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Find SID of Current User using "WhoAmI" command
    • Option Two: To Find SID of Current User using "wmic useraccount" command
    • Option Three: To Find SID of All Users using "wmic useraccount" command
    • Option Four: To Find SID of Specific User using "wmic useraccount" command
    • Option Five: To Find User Name for SID using "wmic useraccount" command
    • Option Six: To Find SID of All Users using "Get-WmiObject" PowerShell command
    • Option Seven: To Find SID of Users using Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Security Identifier (SID) with account association

Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Find SID of Current User using "WhoAmI" command
    1. Open a PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below, and press Enter.

*Arrow whoami /user

OPTION TWO [/i] To Find SID of Current User using "wmic useraccount" command
    1. Open a command prompt.

*Arrow wmic useraccount where name='%username%' get domain,name,sid

OPTION THREE [/i] To Find SID of All Users using "wmic useraccount" command
    1. Open a PowerShell.

*Arrow wmic useraccount get domain,name,sid

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Find SID of Specific User using "wmic useraccount" command
    1. Open a PowerShell.

*Arrow wmic useraccount where name='username' get sid

*note Substitute username in the command above with the actual user name (ex: "Brink") of the account you want to find the SID for.

For example: wmic useraccount where name='Brink' get sid

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Find User Name for SID using "wmic useraccount" command
    1. Open a PowerShell.

*Arrow wmic useraccount where sid='<sid>' get domain,name

*note Substitute <sid> in the command above with the actual SID (ex: "S-1-5-21-237214570-1361766723-3061440971-1001") of the account you want to see the name for.

For example: wmic useraccount where sid='S-1-5-21-237214570-1361766723-3061440971-1001' get domain,name

OPTION SIX [/i] To Find SID of All Users using "Get-WmiObject" PowerShell command
    1. Open PowerShell.

*Arrow Get-WmiObject win32_useraccount | Select domain,name,sid

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Find SID of Users using Registry Editor

*note This option has one limitation which is you can only get the SID of either a local user or a domain user who has logged in at least once onto this PC.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    3. Each of the items at this hive is named with the SID of the account. By looking at the ProfileImagePath key for each SID, you can identify the account’s name.

*note For example, the S-1-5-21-237214570-1361766723-3061440971-1001 SID key is for the user with the C:\Users\Brink profile folder path and Brink being the account name.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Pyprohly, May 19, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

New user not setup in registry or with folders

The Windows registry does not identify users by username. Users are identified by their security identifier (SID), which is a globally unique hexadecimal string.

If you are signed in to a user account with Administrator permissions (not the built-in Administrator, which is a system account) and you are not using a temporary profile, the standard instructions for adding a new user work correctly.

BulldogXX, May 19, 2017
  3. "Unknown" accounts

"S" account are generally the security descriptor of a standard user S accounts a re called SIDS (Security IDentifier). You cannot and should not remove it or you will break what ever account it refers to. If you give us more of the descriptor S?????????
    we may be able to give you more specific info

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 19, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

Shawn, There's also Mark Russinovich's tool PsGetSid

Barman58, May 19, 2017
  5. omidsolo Win User
    WMIC UserAccount Where Name='%Username%' Get SID
    -
    This works perfectly but it only works in Command Prompt and not in a .bat file.
    I also cannot assign it to a string variable since it's not just SID and is a multi line string.
    I'm not very comfortable with batch files so what's the shortest and easiest way to store it in a variable to use in a batch file? *Smile

omidsolo, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello omidsolo, *Smile

If you like, you could use the command in Option 1 or 3 in a .bat file.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Security Identifier (SID) of User in Windows - Similar Threads - Find Security Identifier

2. Account unknown security identifier removal in group or user names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account unknown security identifier removal in group or user names: Account UnknownS-1-15-3-65536-1888954469-739942743-1668119174-2468466756-4239452838-1296943325-355587736-700089176Does anyone know how to remove this account in group or user names? How this happened was I tried to give my pc user full control, and I hit the checkmark, for...
  3. What is this SID or user ? is this a virus?

What is this SID or user ? is this a virus?: Hello,I just found out that i have a user name call S-1-5-21-357168193-1226460482-955065123-1001.i have never mad other user or deleted user before.i dont remember this user being here.or this is just normal thing for all the windows10 user.also exposing my user SID like on...
  4. What is this SID or user ? is this a virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is this SID or user ? is this a virus?: Hello,I just found out that i have a user name call S-1-5-21-357168193-1226460482-955065123-1001.i have never mad other user or deleted user before.i dont remember this user being here.or this is just normal thing for all the windows10 user.also exposing my user SID like on...
  5. What is this SID or user ? is this a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. windows 11 domain users show as SID

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 domain users show as SID: when i display administrators in Computer Management Groups, it shows the SID. I am having issues sharing folders as i get help?no issues with my windows 10 desktops; running windows 2016 servers, all patched....
  7. windows 11 domain users show as SID

windows 11 domain users show as SID: when i display administrators in Computer Management Groups, it shows the SID. I am having issues sharing folders as i get help?no issues with my windows 10 desktops; running windows 2016 servers, all patched....
  8. "Unknown Account" with SID in Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Unknown Account" with SID in Windows Security: There are a lot of occurrences out there for the is problem on the web looking for a fix! Trying to remove these "Unknown Accounts" produces erroer codes, one of which, is telling us the removal needs to be done at the parent directory. Nothing I read had an effective way...
  9. How to find Security Identifier (SID) of any User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to find Security Identifier (SID) of any User in Windows 10: [ATTACH] A SID or a Security Identifier is a unique code that helps in the identification of any user or group and computer accounts across Windows Operating Systems. They are created as soon as a user account is created and being [...] This post How to find Security...
  10. Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name: Whenever I click the security tab in properties for my personal folders, my user name does not appear, only the security identifier does (S-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX). Is there a way to fix this without creating a new user account? It is not that big of a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chield S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681