Windows 10: Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

Discus and support Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by roastedpotato, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut?

Longer version of my question: I originally set up a keyboard shortcut to start an app (in my case, Search Everything) by creating a shortcut file to the desired .exe, and then right-clicking that shortcut, going to Properties, and defining the keyboard shortcut there. The problem is that I've forgotten where I put that shortcut file, and I've failed to find it through search, which means I can't right-click on it again to change the keyboard shortcut. Is there another way to change the keystroke combination? If not, is there some way I can trace the shortcut file being activated by the keystroke combination, so I can right-click it and change the combo?

The specific nature of the problem, if it matters, is that some time ago I set the keyboard shortcut Alt+Ctrl+S to open "Search Everything." This works great, but as of this year, I'm having to do a considerable amount of work in German, which requires frequent use of the character Eszett (ß) -- and, you guessed it, on the US English-INTL keyboard, ß is mapped to Alt+Ctrl+S.
    On my ThinkPad, Alt codes simply don't work (I guess because there's no numpad), so I'm at a loss. The most efficient possible way for me to enter ß is currently to open Character Map, navigate to ß, then Ctrl+C-Alt+Tab-Ctrl+V, which is a serious pain in the neck for a letter that occurs in almost every sentence.
    I considered creating a custom keyboard layout solely to map ß to a different key combination, but after dabbling with the Windows Keyboard Layout Creator (not supported by Windows 10) and having my system kind of spaz out because of it, I dropped that idea.

Any help with this would be seriously, tremendously appreciated!

:)

roastedpotato, Jun 27, 2018
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut :)

terrace, Jun 27, 2018
  3. How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Jun 27, 2018
  4. essenbe Win User

Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

essenbe, Jun 27, 2018
Thema:

Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

1. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut - Similar Threads - Finding target file

2. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  3. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  4. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  5. Use clipboard contents in shortcut target

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use clipboard contents in shortcut target: Hello, I need to have the part of the target in my shortcut change automatically with my clipboard contents. How could I achieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-clipboard-contents-in-shortcut-target/5824a36f-5f83-48a6-aa5f-f559aa8487b2
  6. Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Am I dreaming? (Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657) After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I clicked it and the...
  7. Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Am I dreaming? Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657 After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I clicked it and the...
  8. The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

in Browsers and Email
    The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!: Hi, Just turned computer on, and upon starting found "File Explorer" icon in Taskbar to be "flashing" together with the error message..... The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid! I am using Mozilla Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer, (IE being turned off)....
  9. Windows Can't Find Target

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Can't Find Target: Hi. I successfully used regedit to clear annoying proliferating blue arrows (bottom left) from flashdrive folders and desktop icons (shortcuts) on my desktop. My notebook is another story. Desktop - success, everything works normally including my flashdrive. Notebook -...
  10. Unable to edit target location on shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to edit target location on shortcuts: Good day team, This is my first ever post here. I have browsed all over the internet for an answer but I just can't seem to find it. I am an avid Simcity 4 player, and I alwyas have to edit the target location of my shortcut in order to modify some tings like: skipping the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. custome target file for shortcut