Windows 10: Firefox not showing up in default apps

Discus and support Firefox not showing up in default apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I read the blog and it's fix, and I do not know what the guy actually is doing. See: Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Callender, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Callender Win User

Firefox not showing up in default apps

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Skodd Win User
    Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  3. How do I set Microsoft Edge as default browser when it isnt on the list

I want to set Edge as my default browser either wise it goes to internet explorer which I don't use at all. I know where to go set the default apps but when I go to browser it doesn't show up. I have Firefox, Chrome, Edge browsers but when I go to default
    apps under browser, only Firefox and chrome show up. What do I do? I like chrome and Firefox but I tend to like Edge more.

Octavio S., Apr 21, 2018
  4. kayjayw Win User

Switch Cortana to Firefox

I've had Firefox set as my default browser for ages. The problem, however, is that Cortana insists on opening up Microsoft Edge instead of my default which is Firefox. Just selecting Firefox as the default app does not affect Cortana at all.

KJ

kayjayw, Apr 21, 2018
  5. Skodd Win User
    I tried getting into the old non metro default app page (run: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram ) to set Firefox as default but it still didn't work.

2018-04-22_15-31-36.mp4 - Streamable

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I've always found you need to go thru Firefox first, least the first time, and use the option there. It's in Settings>General inside the "hamburger" upper right of Firefox.

Link info from FF support: Make Firefox your default browser | Firefox Help

f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2018
  7. Skodd Win User
    The option open the "Default app" page in Settings. Also another detail to add, I have 3 Firefox in the Set defaults by app selection screen (the metro one) using procmon seem to indicated they all point to the same executable (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe)
    https://i.imgur.com/hYTJhoD.png

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is do it first thru the Firefox option inside Firefox Options, in the browser. That option will take you to Default Apps, and hopefully show a choice for Firefox.

Firefox not showing up in default apps [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2018
  9. Skodd Win User
    Still no firefox.

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  10. Skodd Win User
    I'm looking at the way to do that with the registry.

Seem like Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\https\UserC hoice is changed. When I set it to Opera I have ProgId has OperaStable (gets it's name from HKCR but I don't see Firefox ) and a Hash value that I have no idea how it's calculated.

I took the existing name from the ftp association registry key Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\ftp\UserCho ice (ff is assigned to it) and copied the value to the same key but for http/https... didn't work (I suspect it's the hash value, when setting Edge as default for both http and https, they have the same ProgId but different Hash value.)....... https://i.imgur.com/uglxytH.png

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    This Explorer Shell command has a ")" at the end, it will not work, it goes to the Documents folder. Try mine instead. Set FF to all it can do.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram

f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2018
  12. Skodd Win User
    Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  13. Skodd Win User

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2018
  15. Skodd Win User
    Still holds. Thanks for the help.

Skodd, Apr 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Firefox not showing up in default apps - Similar Threads - Firefox showing default

2. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  3. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  4. Windows Default apps not opening nor showing up

Windows Default apps not opening nor showing up: Hey.I recently had tried to access my windowsapps folder by changing some security things but now I cannot open or see any of me default windows apps such as Microsoft store, photos, video player or any of the sort. I am confused on what to do, I have tried to reset the...
  5. Windows Default apps not opening nor showing up

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Default apps not opening nor showing up: Hey.I recently had tried to access my windowsapps folder by changing some security things but now I cannot open or see any of me default windows apps such as Microsoft store, photos, video player or any of the sort. I am confused on what to do, I have tried to reset the...
  6. Windows Default apps not opening nor showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Remove Firefox from default apps

Remove Firefox from default apps: I am using FirefoxPortable and uninstalled Firefox, but both are showing in Default Apps, how to I remove Firefox? 160131
  8. Java not showing up as a default app.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Java not showing up as a default app.: Whenever I try to change my default .Jar opener to java it doesn't appear. I'm certain that I have installed java.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/java-not-showing-up-as-a-default-app/f9b27abf-8c35-4a44-9700-040c9067643a
  9. Firefox not showing as default browser?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox not showing as default browser?: So....I have tried everything (trust me I really have) and I've searched through numerous forums. This issue is just appallingly bad, and it seems to me that it is a deliberate attempt to force me to use browsers that Microsoft wants me to use...rather than what I CHOOSE....
  10. Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

in Browsers and Email
    Make firefox as default app for "web browser": Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser in Windows 10 | Firefox Help I can't find Firefox as an option ? [img] Any idea how can I fix it ? Thx 101100