Windows 10: Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

Discus and support Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This has happened only recently with both the 86-bit Firefox, now uninstalled, and with the 64-bit Firefox replacing it (have 64-bit system). Problem... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Airider, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Airider Win User

Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

This has happened only recently with both the 86-bit Firefox, now uninstalled, and with the 64-bit Firefox replacing it (have 64-bit system). Problem first appeared when I recently tried to repair non-functioning Spotlight, in some cases messing with the registry, etc.. Spotlight now works useably as it is now coming in via Dynamic Theme. Kaspersky updated as is all Windows Update/Security fine (periodic scanning) and apps so far as i know. Now downloaded SUPER Antispyware which found 43 tracking adware cookies which it has removed.

Older 86-bit Firefox (now uninstalled) would occasionally crash before, give crash report and restart itself WITHOUT locking up the computer (HP 840 G2).

After these recent computer lockups which I assume are caused by Firefox (seems to only happen when I try to interact with opened, running Firefox in top bar, as in typing in top address bar, etc.), when I hold down computer's physical on/off switch to turn off the computer, after clean stop and then use on/off switch to re-start .... everything works fine

:)

Airider, Jul 26, 2017

2. Setting up a Homegroup

Sometimes this is caused by a different time setting on the Homegroup computers. All must be synchronized to the same hour and minute. Occasionally, a re-install of Windows results in a time disparity among the computer receiving the reinstallation.

Don't ask me why the autofixes can't rectify this.

EricMillerTallahassee, Jul 26, 2017
  3. BobUlius Win User
    Bug found in Windows 10 1703 rollup

Read all through please as it started with multiple issues and unknown causes and then I learned more:

Hi folks,

This just started where several issues occur.

First, Windows 10. Edge, Internet Explorer and Waterfox have no problems. But 3 versions of Firefox all have the same issues. Both 32 and 64 bit, installed and portable.

1. Cannot open my.msn.com for example, which is my home page. In general says This Page is Not available right now.

2. MANY pages like Amazon and Twitter should just text in left aligned columns, no html. Linked In as well. Very few pages open normally.

3. Some pages show Secure Connection Fail. Sec_error_bad_signature.

I have rebooted. Restarted FF in Safe Mode. Turned off my AntiVirus. No changes at all. I rolled back the latest Win 10 rollup (1703) and no changes. Cleared recent history. Flushed DNS.

My windows 7 computer with same FF installs on same network has no issues at all. On Win 10 I would say half the pages I visit work. No rhyme or reason.

I reinstalled all Firefoxes with my saved personal profiles and all worked again.

Next, reinstalled the Win 10 1703 rollup Update and now "some" versions of FF failing. Not all this time. Just the portable versions. So must be related to that 1703 update! Something breaking Firefox 32 and 64 bit portable versions.

Last update:

Saved the profile from the Firefox Portables.

Deleted both portables.

Reinstalled both portables.

Started both portables. Closed them.

Copied the old profile to both portables.

Both now work. So the Win 10 1703 is not damaging the Profile in Firefox as I suspected, but its damaging the install of the portable FF apps. Requiring a re-installation of the program

If any fixes, please advise! I truly hope a future update does not cause this issue again.

Thanks.

~Bob

[Moved From: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC ]

BobUlius, Jul 26, 2017
  4. Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

Hi Airider

To help isolate software issues you can use the clean boot procedure. From your description "Problem first appeared when I recently tried to repair non-functioning Spotlight, in some cases messing with the registry, etc.." I don't think this is a Firefox issue.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Another item that you can try is the in place repair / upgrade to repair your installation. I use the word repair very loosely.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

While this process should not impact data I always recommend having your data backed up. I also recommend creating an Image with a tool like Macrium reflect. Better safe than sorry.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 26, 2017
  5. Airider Win User
    Now it got locked up when I tried to start Skype (computer had been running very well for hours). So: mechanical stop (on/off switch) then start again with switch, running nicely again, also Skype.

However, as has happened a half-dozen or more times ONLY since updating to 1703 a few months ago, at first re-start (from off) the sound was off at start (all else working, auto-diagnostic found nothing). Another "shut-down" but with click on "shut down", switch re-start and then all fine (so far). THAT's been going on since 1703 was installed

My guess now is 1703 bugs

Airider, Jul 26, 2017
  6. What is reliability history reporting?

Is there additional info in the event viewer under the System heading?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 26, 2017
  7. Airider Win User
    note improper shut down was me doing the only possible thing I could > manual shut down with on/off switch

also the last crash was when I tried to launch Skype

and during that re-boot the sound was off, as has happened before; no crash but could use Windows "shut down" interface in start menu, after re-boot all fine (till the next time)

Airider, Jul 26, 2017
  8. Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

Could you please view your windows update history. Is it clean or are updates failing?

Next I would sfc /scannow just to see.

One thing I would consider is a in place repair / upgrade. I say this but as you have registry mods I'm a little concern it might wipe them out

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Have your data backed up and I would recommend a tool like Macrium Reflect to create an Image. Always want a plan "B".

Let's see what SFC sees.

You could also rule out disk errors with a chkdsk c:, from command prompt, no switches (options) just to see what it reports and I would consider running a tool like memtest86. Tutorial in our library. No harm in checking.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  9. Airider Win User
    I used the troubleshooter in Security and it indicated incompatibility with Firefox 64-bit, so I uninstalled and put back 32-bit, then also incompatible, this time clicked the correct choice, indicated fixed. Uninstalled 32-bit and installed 64-bit, ran Security troubleshooter, incompatible, clicked correctly again, and indicated fixed. Also checked Skype, no prob
    NO failed updates. I use stand alone downloads and manually update Defender from within Settings (Periodic Scanning, trust Kaspersky, though it obviously missed 43 ad-tracking cookies, now removed)
    Now ran scannow, no integrety violations.

All good so far, but I just remembered, during the time of the "troubles" but not WHILE happening, WinX was beeping the descending pretty 3-note "I'm working" tones a lot more than ever before, now back to normal, only rarely (could be Red Herring?)

Airider, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

1. Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot - Similar Threads - Firefox occasionally causes

2. Occasional BSOD - No obvious cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Occasional BSOD - No obvious cause: They are rare but seemingly at random, if that makes any sense. I can go a week or longer without one, and it doesn't appear to be dependent on system load. In fact, the last couple times I was just watching YouTube, if memory serves. Meanwhile, I can do heavy gaming for...
  3. RE: An earlier issue I posted that is now locked.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    RE: An earlier issue I posted that is now locked.: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wuausrv-windows-update-service-serious-bug/699d01d5-efd1-4e33-99a2-fbbe2068a1c2?tm=1584143107618 Just before I had to move homes, I found a resolution to this issue. Now that I'm all settled, I wanted to...
  4. Computer won't boot occasionally

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't boot occasionally: I have to start the computer and hope it start normally every time I turn it on or I have to shut it down and try again. This usually cost me 5 or more tries. The debug cpu led always turns on so I reseated the cpu and reapplied thermal paste but it didn't work. I cleared...
  5. Lock Screen glitching occasionally

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock Screen glitching occasionally: My lock screen has been glitching a few times in the past month. Sometimes when i press a key to go to the login screen, the screen goes black and resturns back to the lock screen after a few seconds. After trying again a few times, I force restarted it and it started...
  6. re "Locking"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    re "Locking": My computer said "Locking", I shut it off and now it won't turn on. Is it dead? Data should be salvageable if I take out the hard drive right and put it in something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-locking/e1b9196a-a711-4fd5-bdae-5e47045918c3
  7. Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.: I have no idea where to start with this issue. All I know is that my computer will rarely crash and restart itself and when I go to check the reliability report in the action center, the only information it gives me is that "Windows shut down unexpectedly". I don't get a blue...
  8. Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot: Hi. Since the latest W10 update which we received around a week ago, my PC shuts down fine but when the power is switched back on (often the next day), the windows fast start sequence begins (as it is set to do) and as soon as I log in Windows 10 is loading Firefox and...
  9. Youtube locking computer, both in Chrome and FireFox.

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube locking computer, both in Chrome and FireFox.: This is a minor annoyance as I don't often play YouTube on my PC, I use my Apple TV. I would like to understand what is happening. This happens in both Chrome and Firefox, both have the latest updates. After a time the computer will just freeze no BSOD it just locks and I...
  10. Dual Boot 1607 and 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot 1607 and 1703: So when version 1703 aka Creators update finally came through last night on my 12 yr old Dell Pentium 4 desktop, WiFi took a major shit. Whatever I did, including remove and install, I couldn't get the internal D-link DWA-566 or a Linksys USB adapter to work, both of which...