Windows 10: Firefox private bowsing - tabs and start page

Discus and support Firefox private bowsing - tabs and start page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a couple questions about Firefox private browsing. I use a shortcut to open Firefox directly in private browsing mode: "C:\Program... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rivre, Nov 14, 2017.

1. rivre Win User

Firefox private bowsing - tabs and start page

I have a couple questions about Firefox private browsing. I use a shortcut to open Firefox directly in private browsing mode:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -private

Every time I open in private mode, it defaults to the purple default private browsing notice page. Is there any way to get it to open in my default home page?

Also, when I open new tabs in private mode, do those new tabs also open in private mode? I should think it would, but I came across an add-on for Firefox called "Private Tabs" that claims to open all tabs in private mode, which I thought happened automatically? So then are the new tabs not i private mode? I though any tabs openedd in a private window would automatically be private.

:)

rivre, Nov 14, 2017

2. Home network shows as public in Windows 10 Firewall.

Just started using Windows 10. In Firewall, my home network is showing up as a public network instead of a private one. I'm getting bombarded with uninvited intruders opening tabs in my Firefox browser. Hopefully this will end if I can get my network
    to register as private. Any suggestions?

girlyb65KB, Nov 14, 2017
  3. bob3160 Win User
    Program manager prevents shut down

Sounds like a Firefox setting for the start page: "Show my windows and tabs from last time"

bob3160, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Firefox private bowsing - tabs and start page

A browser's private mode is not built to be a user's main source of browsing the internet. Instead, private modes are meant for a one-time use key that is erased after each session.

If you could customize the private section, it would defeat some of the purpose of it.

To my knowledge, no web browser has customization settings that remain when swapping over to a private session. You could try Firefox's new and improved browser though!

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    add -window plus url to your string above.

Example: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -private-window Web Server's Default Page

All tabs will be private.

Edwin, Nov 14, 2017
  6. rivre Win User
    Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I have a shortcut and this is what is in "Target":

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -private-window Google

But it still just loads to the purple private browsing page.

EDIT: Okay, weird. Now it seems to work. It loads up and for the first second the page is purple but then it immediately goes over to Google (which I currently have set as my home page) and I have the purple private browsing icon on the upper-right hand corner. If I open new tabs, they also open purple just for a moment and then go to Google. So I guess it's working right now. I never saw that purple icon in the upper-right corner before. Is that new for Firefox 57 or was I always doing something wrong before?

rivre, Nov 14, 2017
  7. rivre Win User
    I'm not sure what you said is true regarding private mode not intended to be used regularly. I'm betting lots of people use it regularly for their normal browsing sessions. Why would it not be used for regular browsing? And Chrome lets you use your normal home page in incognito mode.

I'm using Firefox's new browser. It broke a nice selection of my favorite add-ons today.

rivre, Nov 14, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Strange! *Confused

Works here.

Edwin, Nov 14, 2017
  9. rivre Win User
    Yeah, I got it working. I have no idea why it wasn't working at first. Maybe it's this new build of Firefox. Thanks again for your help!

rivre, Nov 14, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    *Thumbs

Edwin, Nov 14, 2017
  11. rivre Win User
    Is it normal for each tab to flash purple when it's first opened in private mode? Firefox never did that before, nor did I ever see that purple "mask" icon in the corner before. Really weird. It used to just open the browser to that first main purple page, but each tab I would open afterwards would look normal with no purple page beforehand. Was I always doing it wrong before? Even today after I updated to v57 Firefox wasn't acting like this until I put that extra string in my shortcut.

rivre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Firefox private bowsing - tabs and start page - Similar Threads - Firefox private bowsing

2. Firefox Private Network Install Issue

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Private Network Install Issue: Hi All, I was having an issue with getting the firefox browser to install..I discovered the reason why was due to a conflict with the AdGuard ad blocking software installed on my system. This morning I decided to try and install firefox again, this time I received a prompt...
  3. Firefox Test Pilot Program Returns with Firefox Private Network Beta

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Test Pilot Program Returns with Firefox Private Network Beta: Like a cat, the Test Pilot program has had many lives. It originally started as an Add-on before we relaunched it three years ago. Then in January, we announced that we were evolving our culture of experimentation, and as a result we closed the Test Pilot program to give us...
  4. Add More Top Sites To New Tab Page in Firefox 60-+

in Browsers and Email
    Add More Top Sites To New Tab Page in Firefox 60-+: One can add as many rows of Sites in The New Tab Start Page by entering the Following in About:Config Code: browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows[/quote] Default is two [img] Do not concern yourself with the void warranty warning I entered 3 so I have 3 rows...
  5. Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox How to Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox Mozilla uses Snippets to display tips, suggestions, updates, and messages about Firefox. Some people have reported advertising displaying at the...
  6. Locking in page size in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Locking in page size in Firefox: I'm trying out Firefox on my tablet. The window size goes to 100% every time I change web pages. Is there a way to lock the size to 80% and keep it there? I don't see any setting. 61683
  7. Firefox - Open in new tab

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - Open in new tab: Just noticed this... Using FF in this forum, Right click on a dropdown item (like Forum Actions, Quick Links) does not have an option to open in new tab, like Chrome for example. But, you can drag/drop the dropdown choice to the New Tab "+" on the open tabs bar, and it will...
  8. Change New Tab page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Tab page in Firefox: How to: Change New Tab page in Firefox How to Change New Tab page in Firefox in Windows When you open a Firefox Home screen by default. The Top Sites (sites you visit most), popular articles Recommended by Pocket, Highlights (sites you've visited recently or...
  9. Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox: How to: Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox How to Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon. By default, Firefox displays...
  10. Mozilla abandons plan for ads on Firefox's new-tab page

in Windows 10 Support
    Mozilla abandons plan for ads on Firefox's new-tab page: Mozilla has scrapped a plan to put ads on the windows that show when Firefox users launch a new browser tab. Mozilla announced the Firefox new-tab page advertisements idea in February but on Friday night announced an end to the "experiment." More 1569