Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?? Broken by Update?

Discus and support Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?? Broken by Update? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Hi all. Firefox was working ten minutes ago, but clicking on the task bar and start menu shortcuts now results in a message that the application can no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ondablade, Jun 7, 2018.

1. ondablade Win User

Hi all. Firefox was working ten minutes ago, but clicking on the task bar and start menu shortcuts now results in a message that the application can no longer be found.

According to Windows settings 'add and remove programs' it's still there.

It seems possible that the recent Windows update troubles are implicated in the problem...

I can't report the exact phrasing of the messages as the shortcuts themselves disappeared (??) after a few attempts.

Needless to say I didn't remove the shortcuts or alter anything in Firefox. (other than several days ago to set embedded videos on web pages not to auto play)

The Windows 10 Pro 1803 update installed last week but wouldn't reboot. Windows seemed to revert to 1709 and testing using the system file checker etc as kindly advised here checked out 100%. Windows update history was reset as also advised using the Brinks .bat file tutorial method as it was messed up.

Updates were set using Group Policy Editor to require permission to both download, and to install. (Win 10 Pro)

The only known event that may have triggered this shortcut problem was that Windows offered a small update shortly before the problem arose which I (perhaps foolishly) let download because it wasn't the biggie that caused the last. It seemed to run, but isn't showing in the update history....

Can anybody advise what's happening, how to fix it and whether there's possibly anything nasty going on like malware please?

There's various shortcuts, log ins etc saved with the current Firefox install which it'd be good to keep.

Searching the web brings up various cryptic and less than comprehensive threads describing similar events (which imply that the same problem may affect other apps), but mostly in connection with Win 7...

:)

ondablade, Jun 7, 2018
  2. Waseemulla S Win User

Missing Firefox shortcut from All Apps menu

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Press Windows + R keys to open run window

• Type Firefox to launch firefox

If it launches, you may try to create a shortcut of it by following the steps below:

• Windows + E keys to open Windows explorer

• Select this pc and select C: drive

• Open Program files and right click on firefox and click on Shortcut on desktop.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Jun 7, 2018
  3. Divya Murugan Win User
    Video Issues in Windows 10 With Firefox

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• Is the issue occurs in Microsoft Edge?

• Let us know whether the issue is specific to online videos or it is happening with other videos present in your system too?

As the initial troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to check all the available Windows Updates. Installation of recent Windows Updates should fix the issue.

If the issue still persists, then try updating the Display driver and check. Here is the steps:
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run command box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • In Display Adapter, expand Display Adapter, right-click , and then click
      Update.
    If the issues persists ,only with firefox then i suggest you to contact firefox support.

Please do let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 7, 2018
Thema:

Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?? Broken by Update?

Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?? Broken by Update? - Similar Threads - Firefox Shortcuts Longer

1. problems with Mozilla Firefox Quantum

in Windows 10 Support
    problems with Mozilla Firefox Quantum: *chuckle Recently I have been having a few problems with Mozilla Firefox Quantum. Sorry, that is not quite accurate as since Mozilla has been changing the rules and format constantly for the last 2 years appox, constant problems. Latest problem for myself being I can download...
  2. Firefox Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox Problem: *chuckle Recently I have been having a few problems with Mozilla Firefox Quantum. Sorry, that is not quite accurate as since Mozilla has been changing the rules and format constantly for the last 2 years appox, constant problems. Latest problem for myself being I can download...
  3. Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?: Hi all. Firefox was working ten minutes ago, but clicking on the task bar and start menu shortcuts now results in a message that the application can no longer be found. According to Windows settings 'add and remove programs' it's still there. It seems possible that the...
  4. Firefox - Make Desktop Shortcut to Library / "Other Bookmarks" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox - Make Desktop Shortcut to Library / "Other Bookmarks" ?: I have this Shortcut that opens to "All Bookmarks" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -chrome chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul . . . but, how do you change it, so it opens to "Other Bookmarks" . . . which is a sub-directory of "All Bookmarks"...
  5. Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file: I'm running windows 10 pro build 14986. For example, I go to bing.com. I drag and drop the shortcut from Firefox to the desktop. I double click on the shortcut and it opens File:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/OB0L0QRF/HGCFGEDM. I can watch...
  6. firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

in Windows 10 Support
    firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10: I managed to get the win 10 download and on my first try after reboot the Gmail and Firefox (default usually) did nothing...When I printed in my site request into firefox there was no response... this applies to my Gmail shortcut and various others. I can only get on the web...
  7. pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar: I have always had shortcuts pinned to my Firefox icon in my taskbar like windows 10 forum,the login for my work place, you tube,ETC.but the short cuts are gone on my windows 32 they are still on my win.64 ..When I drag a short to my win.32 Firefox Icon in taskbar it says pen...
Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?? Broken by Update? solved