Windows 10: Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type

Discus and support Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have 2 computers: Acer Veriton M4650G and HP Pavilion Notebook, each with Windows 10 Pro - exactly the same version/build on both: Version 1803 (OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidDouglas3, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type

I have 2 computers: Acer Veriton M4650G and HP Pavilion Notebook, each with Windows 10 Pro - exactly the same version/build on both: Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407). Both computers have exactly the same version of Firefox: 63.0.3. Both have exactly the same version of the VLC Media Player: 3.0.4 Vetinari. Both computers have the VLC Media Player set to every possible default settings.

On the HP notebook computer, Firefox (Options>General>Applications) has the following Content Type: "MP4 Video File (VLC)" with the "Action" set to: "Use VLC media player (default)" (See attached image):

Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type 5c46463b-2126-4db2-b7bd-8adb69de3318?upload=true.jpg

The Acer computer doesn't show a video Content Type: "MP4 Video File" or any video file option at all. I scoured the Firefox support forum and found this remark:

"A media player like VLC comes with its own drivers to handle all media types it supports. Firefox doesn't come with such drivers to handle all file types and for playing MP4 files Firefox checks the operating system to see whether it supports this specific file type.

On Windows this is usually done via Windows Media Foundation (Vista, Windows 7+). If there isn't support available on the OS then your only option is to open the files in a media player that supports this content type. Native in this context means support at the operating system level."

Since the issue seems to be at the operating system level that can mean that there is something in Windows that is responsible for this discrepancy.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

DavidDouglas3, Nov 20, 2018

2. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Nov 20, 2018
  3. VLC Media Player

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To safely Uninstall VLC Media Player from Windows 10 follow next steps:

• Click on the Start button, and then select “Settings”

• Click on “System”

• Select “Apps& Features” in the left-hand sidebar

• Scroll down to locate VLC Media Player

• Click “Uninstall” and then confirm the uninstallation in the pop-up window by clicking“Uninstall”

Search for the components of VLC Media Player

• Click Start and then enter Regedit in the search box, Windows 10 users can type Regedit in the search bar and then enter the Registry Editor

• Hold down Ctrl+ F keys to launch the Find box. Put in CLV Media Player

• Choose the registries related to VLC Media Player and then delete them all.

• Note that this steps can trigger problems, thus to prevent problems occurring, you’d better back up the registry so that you can restore it if problems occurred.

Step 4: Show hidden files and remove the leftovers

• Click Start> Control Panel> Folder Options, choose the View Tab.

• Check the “Show hidden files and folders” in the Advanced Settings and then select “OK”.

Search for the leftovers of VLC Media Player in the Search Bar by entering VLC Media Player, and then delete the leftovers.

Source:

https://www.totaluninstaller.com/program-uninst...

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

AngelCarreno, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type

1. Firefox: VLC Media Player not listed as content type - Similar Threads - Firefox VLC Media

2. VLC media player problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VLC media player problem: When i was using vlc i clicked media and then open network stream and i pasted my link in this is my link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6bTjpTmkA and it said this Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL...
  3. Issues with VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with VLC Media Player: I use VLC Media Player for watching .mkv file formats but there is now an issue occurring and has occurred many times now. The player seems to be unresponsive after it glitches, the video and audio continue but my mouse clicks and keyboard commands seem to be unresponsive....
  4. VLC media player Privacy

VLC media player Privacy: Hello, I don't want to share any info with videolan, when using VLC media player latest version, what options do I have to uncheck to avoid send them any information about my system or something else... I only found one option only, is there more option to uncheck? Also...
  5. VLC media player Privacy

in Windows 10 Support
    VLC media player Privacy: Hello, I don't want to share any info with videolan, when using VLC media player latest version, what options do I have to uncheck to avoid send them any information about my system or something else... I only found one option only, is there more option to uncheck? Also...
  6. VLC Media player

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    VLC Media player: why won't my VTS_01_1.VOB file play in VLC Media player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vlc-media-player/d7a3507c-2beb-43dd-99ce-3e3a566e886d"
  7. VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VLC Media Player: Have been using VLC Media Player to play DVD's, but now it doesn't recognize that there is a DVD in the drive. Drive will play CD's but doesn't recognize DVD's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vlc-media-player/5e2d37b9-cb75-445b-bfa8-8f0a943ba752
  8. VLC Media Player

VLC Media Player: How do I safely Uninstall VLC Media Player from Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_news/vlc-media-player/f6e14894-efaa-4b54-af55-95393646f2d0
  9. VLC Media Player

VLC Media Player: Using this 3rd party player in windows10 ,seems like a good player for DVD's. The only problem I'm having is it will not play the previews on a dvd? Does anyone use this player and is it possible to play the previews. 32620
  10. VLC Media Player Question?

VLC Media Player Question?: Ok I know its a lot harder to change file type icons in windows 10 then in other versions of windows like the 8 or 8.1. So I was wondering if its possible to just change the file types for a specific program or through the program. For example I'm using the vlc media...