Windows 10: Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

Discus and support Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; So I am (reluctantly) using winver 10 pro 1709 so I don't really know if it is stretching the guidelines about asking about an application here though... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by phaedruspress, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

So I am (reluctantly) using winver 10 pro 1709 so I don't really know if it is stretching the guidelines about asking about an application here though I am sure someone will let me know : ) Prior to December of last year I used almost exclusively Firefox since it seemed more responsive on my 4GB windows 7 seven year old notebook : ) but since I got the new machine last December I have used Chrome exclusively. I am thinking about installing Firefox to see what it is like since Firefox Quantum has been released. I came across Firefox ESR which I never heard of before and it seems to me to be more appealing since it seems that it is updated less frequently then "regular" Firefox thus letting the updates bake longer before installing them. Is Firefox ESR perfectly alright for consumers? TIA.

ESR is intended for system administrators in organizations.

Firefox Extended Support Release for Your Organization, Business, Enterprise

:)

phaedruspress, Mar 12, 2018

2. Firefox 52

HI,THANKS ALOT..I wnet to mozila firefox and there I was updated to firefox 52 version(ESR)

Then I Checked and saw problem with java had solved by firefox ESR.

garshizafari, Mar 12, 2018
  3. ZacharyMaichuk, Mar 12, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

A note: winver is an internal Windows command run by holding down the Windows key and pressing R to get a dialog box for typing commands such as winver which returns the Version and Build numbers of the installed Windows.

Berton, Mar 12, 2018
  5. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Mar 12, 2018
  6. Right, I knew that as referenced in my post. I even posted the same link as you did. Why can't I use it for personal or individual use? What appeals to me is that firefox updates seem to be delayed several cycles before they are applied.

phaedruspress, Mar 12, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    I could be wrong but as far as i know ESR is pretty much EOL (no longer being developed) and receives only security patches rather then bug fixes and improvements.

Why You Shouldnt Use Firefox Forks Like Waterfox, Pale Moon, or Basilisk

Looks like it will stop receiving any updates from July 2018.

Personally I'm happy with Quantum but when I want to use old legacy extensions I use Basilisk (on rare occasions)

Callender, Mar 13, 2018
  8. Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

Thanks. That article was very helpful. Too bad (for me) that ESR is going out of business. I would have enjoyed being in the "slow ring" as long as the product was going to be periodically updated. Do you know if in Firefox Q. I can turn auto updates OFF without Mozilla disrespecting my preferences (I'm taking to you Skynet I mean Microsoft)? I like to stay two or three updates behind. TIA.

phaedruspress, Mar 13, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    I keep auto updates off with no issues. I just update manually but never without a profile backup.

If you are using old releases with missing security patches then I'd say that you probably need a script blocker.

Callender, Mar 13, 2018
  10. I used to use the excellent third party script "no-script" with Firefox back in the day but I seem to recall that Quantum broke just about all of the old third party extensions. Do you know if "no-script" still works with Q. and if so is it still robust and if not what if any third party script blockers do you use/ recommend? TIA.

phaedruspress, Mar 13, 2018
  11. ESR is used mostly by Vista users as Quantum will not install on it.

Josey Wales, Mar 14, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    NoScript was updated to work with Quantum. I use it along with Flash Block Plus.

Also I use these:

Pop Up Blocker for Firefox™ - Poper Blocker

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../trafficlight/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../malwarebytes/

Callender, Mar 14, 2018
  13. Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

Josey Wales, Mar 14, 2018
  14. So just to put a pin in this for the time being I have been looking for an additional browser ever since I got the new machine in December and have been using Chrome exclusively. For now I have settled on FirefoxPortableESR_52.6.0.

https://portableapps.com/apps/intern...x-portable-esr

The over riding factor in my decision is that it is portable and requires no installation and it appears to be speedy when launching and if I am not mistaken it will take all my old legacy extensions (though I have not tried any of them yet) that I used from my now backup notebook 4GB 8 year old Compaq Presario Intel Celeron processor 900 : ) Thanks to all who replied.

phaedruspress, Mar 14, 2018
  15. Yes it will take all of your Legacy extensions. My wife uses 52.7 x on her Vista and it is pretty fast as well, all she does is FB and Addictive Solitaire *Wink

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro

1. Firefox vs. Firefox ESR Re: winver 10 pro - Similar Threads - Firefox Firefox ESR

2. Firefox Rapid Release or ESR?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Rapid Release or ESR?: Ive been using Firefox ESR for some time now as regular user since I know that the ESR versions are mainly for enterprise users for stability purposes. For all here that use Firefox, should I still use the ESR releases? Would the ESR release impact security? On the other...
  3. Switched from Google Chrome to Firefox ESR

in Browsers and Email
    Switched from Google Chrome to Firefox ESR: I switched from Google Chrome to Firefox ESR because of Google moved from 6 weeks to 4 weeks release schedule except of I think enterprise customers. What do you think guys? Please go to: Google is speeding up Chromes release cycle to every four weeks 183242
  4. Firefox ESR super stable version vs Firefox stable version

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox ESR super stable version vs Firefox stable version: i am using Firefox ESR super stable version because Firefox ESR is super stable version more a lot than Firefox stable version What do you think? 182896
  5. Firefox ESR?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox ESR?: As a non-enterprise user, should I install the regular version of Firefox or the ESR version? As far as I know, the ESR will still remain on the current build but the security updates will still be maintained in the ESR version. I am afraid if Firefox gets a major update,...
  6. Firefox ESR (52.9.0) Windows XP ...... Instagram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox ESR (52.9.0) Windows XP ...... Instagram: Hi, I want to post images to my Instagram account from Firefox. I understand that what's required is a user agent switcher. I have downloaded a couple, but haven't got the hang of how to use them. Any help is appreciated. (I don't recall the names of which user agents I...
  7. Any experieced thoughts on Firefox ESR & Panda Dome??

in Browsers and Email
    Any experieced thoughts on Firefox ESR & Panda Dome??: Hi, I'm strongly thinking of Installing Firefox ESR & Panda Dome on W10 Asus Gaming Laptop?? Thought it would be good Idea to run it by this forum as I recd great help in the past. Regards, klxdrt 163322
  8. Firefox vs. Netvibes

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox vs. Netvibes: Windows 10 v 1909 and Firefox 78.0.2 For almost as long I can remember I have been using Firefox to visit Netvibes.com several time daily. Up until a week or so ago Netvibes would open directly to my dashboard. Now it opens with a message about how it uses cookies. (See...
  9. Firefox vs Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox vs Chrome: I switched back to Google Chrome from firefox some months ago and it's been fine...However, i got curious *Wink today and decided to download Firefox again and play with it to see how it is now...One thing i did observe is that it does seem more snappy about loading in web...
  10. Firefox Vs IE

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Vs IE: Hi, I'm not very good with technology. I've always used IE as my browser, I prefer IE especially IE menu bar, File, edit, view, etc, etc, I'm comfortable with IE menu bar it makes it easier for me. Although I tried Chrome, I just can't get used to it I'm wondering what...