Windows 10: Firewall Disabled Bug?

Discus and support Firewall Disabled Bug? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just updated to the FCU from the AU. There seems to be a firewall notification bug. Settings / System / About indicates that the Firewall is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve C, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Firewall Disabled Bug?

I just updated to the FCU from the AU. There seems to be a firewall notification bug.

Settings / System / About indicates that the Firewall is disabled but the Firewall settings in the Control Panel are fine (see below). I've disabled and re-enabled the Firewall but this behaviour persists. does anyone else have this bug and did you fix it?

Firewall Disabled Bug? [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017

2. Firewall disabled

When I go online a message comes up saying the firewall is disabled. When I check the firewall is always turned on. How do I get this message to stop showing up every time I go on line?

JamesLarson721, Dec 1, 2017
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Firewall disabled

Hi James,

It's possible that a third-party program is disabling your firewall. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before this started happening?
    • Which browser are you using to go online? Does this happen when you use other browsers?
    • Does the message appear in all websites, or just specific websites? Please post a screenshot so that we could study it further.
    • Are you using a third-party antivirus program?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest performing a
    clean boot
    to find out if this behavior is caused by a third-party program. This will load Windows with minimal drivers and programs, preventing software conflicts from occurring. If the firewall stays enabled when you go online in a clean boot environment,
    check the section How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot for what to do next.

Note: To return your computer back to normal, check the section How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

We look forward to your concern and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Firewall Disabled Bug?

Hey Steve, *Smile

What does it show in the "Windows Defender Security Center" for the "Firewall & network protection" settings like below?

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    That page in post 2 is fine as you show when you go straight to the page. However, as soon as you view Settings / System / About the page changes to the one below. This seems like a bug to me since all is fine unless you view that About page. I'm also unable to change the Firewall notifications (see enclosed) from the Settings menu but the notifications are set correctly in the Control Panel notification settings and I do get notifications about the Firewall!

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Does clicking on the "Restore settings" button in the bottom screenshot help any?

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    What do you make of these screens which show different things?

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Firewall Disabled Bug?

It looks like you may have a group policy or something enabled for this causing you to just not be able to change it via Settings.

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I don't recall changing the Group Policy but I'll check. Note this was working fine until today when I upgraded from the AU straight to the FCU. I mentioned in another thread I uninstalled Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) 2 weeks ago. I could try installing that again then uninstall the program in the hope Windows correctly configures the Firewall the correct settings once KTS is uninstalled a second time.

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Does clicking on the "Restore settings" button do anything?

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    Yes, that appears to reset the firewall but the option above under "This setting is managed by your administrator" remains. The problem reappears when I select Settings / System / About.

Is there a way of reinstalling the Firewall to the state you would get for a clean install?

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I suppose a repair install would short of a reset or refresh.

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  13. Firewall Disabled Bug?

You can try to check/remove all policies.
    Code: reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Policies" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Dec 1, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    I've only just upgraded today to the FCU using a USB stick created by the Media Creation Tool. Wasn't that effectively a repair install?

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  15. Steve C Win User
    [/quote] Thanks - I might try that. I also found the following commands to reinstall the Firewall (see http://www.howto-connect.com/reinsta...ll-windows-10/. Are these correct and likely to work?

Recreate the Service
    Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf

Start Windows Defender Firewall Service
    sc start mpssvc

Reset Windows Defender Firewall Configurations
    netsh advfirewall reset
    netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state on
    netsh advfirewall set privateprofile state on

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
Thema:

Firewall Disabled Bug?

1. Firewall Disabled Bug? - Similar Threads - Firewall Disabled Bug

2. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  3. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  4. Firewall disabling internet access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall disabling internet access: After updating windows 11 My internet browserschrome and edge can’t connect to the internet. I have checked that they are allowed through the firewallremoved them and put them back in reset chrome and firewall settings and still no luck. It only works as soon as I disable...
  5. Firewall disabling internet access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall disabling internet access: After updating windows 11 My internet browserschrome and edge can’t connect to the internet. I have checked that they are allowed through the firewallremoved them and put them back in reset chrome and firewall settings and still no luck. It only works as soon as I disable...
  6. Windows Defender Firewall Is Disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender Firewall Is Disabled: I tried almost 20 ways to fix this issue.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-is-disabled/282a6540-9c79-4668-90af-e4dd2cc4e9a3
  7. Firewall and Task Manager disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall and Task Manager disabled: hello everyone , im not sure what the hell happened to my PC but when i started it 2 hours ago i noticed the Task manager from the task bar menu is greyed out ,,,it said "task manager disabled by the administrator" i searched for this abit and a quick reg edit fixed it but...
  8. Disabling Firewall notifications in 1809?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disabling Firewall notifications in 1809?: I notice that after update to 1809 Windows resumed posting notifications about my Windows Firewall's being turned off. I tried several methods of disabling this notification found on the Net, including making changes under...
  9. windows firewall will not stay disabled

windows firewall will not stay disabled: I allowed my win10 home 64bit to update to 1703 last week. I hesitate to allow updates as MS insists on removing customizations, changes many user settings, and activates many services I don't want running. since allowing the update, windows firewall was turned on, I can...
  10. Disabling Firewall in the Notification Center

Disabling Firewall in the Notification Center: Hi I have been searching through threads on how to do this, but the only solution that is mentioned is turning off the notification center as a whole via registry or GPO. Personally I would prefer GPO, but there doesn't seem a way to do it for something this specific....