Windows 10: First Admin on Computer Set-Up

Discus and support First Admin on Computer Set-Up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I set up the church computer a couple years ago, and apparently I logged in initially with my own Microsoft account then added the other admins. When... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by PJDodger, Jan 8, 2017.

1. PJDodger Win User

First Admin on Computer Set-Up

I set up the church computer a couple years ago, and apparently I logged in initially with my own Microsoft account then added the other admins. When they needed to download a program for check scanning, they had to have permission from my account (my password) even though there are other admins on the computer. If I change my account on that computer to a local account, will they still be able to use my login permission for things like that in the future? Also, shouldn't the other admin accounts be able to give that permission?

:)

PJDodger, Jan 8, 2017
  2. pub. fan Win User

admin & standard user accounts

I am the only user of this computer. I am working in the admin setting. I would like to set up an admin user account with a password, and change the current account to standard user WITHOUT A PASSWORD. Can this be done? Is there a particular order to
    follow in doing this? i.e. set-up the new admin account first? or? Will there be any problems in doing so?

Also, in doing this will I lose all my password for my internet sites?

Thank you,

Pub Fan

pub. fan, Jan 8, 2017
  3. No Admin on PC

Our work computer is logged out of Admin. privilege. The guy that set it up in the first place won't fix it. Every time I try to trouble shoot it I get a message that pop's up that I need admin password but it gives me no option to put one in. I've tried
    setting up another account and changing it to admin but still won't let me.

I'm afraid to do a compete factory reset as there are programs on the computer that are needed and I'm afraid if I reset the pc I'll loose everything. How can I reset it so we have admin access back and not loose everything?

*** Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category. ***

Chris99615, Jan 8, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi PJ and welcome to TenForums *Smile

When you created the new accounts did you give them administrator level? By default all new users are created as Standard users and if this is how you left them then non of the new accounts will be able to provide administrator permissions.

What you need to do is go through the user accounts for the other admins you created and convert them from standard users to Administrators. To do this follow the tutorial on changing account type.

Whether your account is a Microsoft Account or a local account should not make any difference but I would not change it until you are sure the other admins are all set up correctly. Also, always make sure you have system restore points set and a backup strategy in place.

philc43, Jan 9, 2017
  5. PJDodger Win User
    Thanls for the reply, philc.

Yes, when I set up the other admins, I made them administer accounts.

Would there be any instance that would require the original admin account permission (my account)? The biggest reason I ask is that my husband and I may be moving, so I was hoping t be able to remove myself from that computer.

It's actually kind of strange to me...a while back I changed my password on Microsoft.com, but the password on the same account on that church computer is the same as when I set the computer up. I didn't have it sync all of my desktops, however. Could that be the reason the password on there stayed the same? Thankfully, I do know the old password.

PJDodger, Jan 9, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    If all the other admins have Administrator accounts you are in a good position and can leave them to continue the good work. You should be able to remove yourself.

To double check all the administrators on the system you could do the following:

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.

net localgroup administrators

3. Look at the user names listed under Members.

If a user name is listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is an administrator.
    If a user name is not listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is a standard user.

Regarding your password change on the Microsoft account - usually if you are connected to the internet it will update and require the new password for all computers that you log into with that Microsoft account.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. First Admin on Computer Set-Up - Similar Threads - Admin Computer Set

2. Setting up new laptop for first time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting up new laptop for first time: Hi.I have a new asus vivobook...with spanish keyboard as I live in Spain. I think I chose spain as the región I live during the setting up process, and english language. It connected to Wifi I think now at stage of singing in to Microsoft account. I can't use @ sign to add my...
  3. How to reset computer from first time start up without access to admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to reset computer from first time start up without access to admin: So, basically, my windows somehow doesn't have the eula, & I tried to get around it by making a new user & it automatically loading into that user. Didn't work, & I forgot to make that user admin so now I'm locked out of defaultuser0, which means I can't change the default...
  4. Admin Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin Settings: When I unhide the User folder in C drive, I cant see any folder with my name, I am the admin of PC . Or when I go into properties->Security of any folderfor example one on desktop I see 3 names in the User name list 1. System 2. Yashadatwin\hp...
  5. New computer first login user admin account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    New computer first login user admin account?: I bought a new computer for my mom. When turning on for first time, it did not have any typical setup questions and opened with an “administrator account” with user ID of “h”. This seems very odd to me and I am leery about using personal credentials if this computer was...
  6. How to set up bluetooth for the first time?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to set up bluetooth for the first time?: Idk much about this I would like some help??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-up-bluetooth-for-the-first-time/3a4cff7a-f063-4b1d-8f45-e8a9421257b6
  7. First time set-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    First time set-up: This is my first time building a computer and I am currently installing Windows 10. I went through and got through Media Creation Tool on my laptop and put in Windows 10 at 64 bit without the recommended settings because I would be installing on another device. When I get to...
  8. admin settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    admin settings: How to activate the admin account on Windows 10 Pro? I keep getting the error that says Acess is denied. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-settings/d50ea246-cc0f-4134-952c-27980c8f392a"
  9. Setting up new admin in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up new admin in Windows 10: I have a work computer that has not been used in a while. We can't find any info on the past admin, and there are dozens of updates that can't be installed without an admin password. I need to set myself up as the admin, but I can't do that either without "admin approval."...
  10. How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?: I mean I've done it wrong. How to get it right. I just made a new win10 install on a new hard drive. And without thinking I gave my username as george - my son's name - and went ahead. Now he's an admin login. Which is no good. When I first realised I thought I'd...