Windows 10: Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10

Discus and support Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10 How to Fix 'An app default was reset' Error in Windows 10 [img] Information You may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by morgish, Nov 14, 2017.

1. morgish Win User

Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10

How to: Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10

How to Fix 'An app default was reset' Error in Windows 10

Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information You may get a notification that states An app default was reset along with An app caused a problem with the default app setting for xxx files, so it was reset to xxx built-in app.

Basically the file type gets its default association set back to a built-in Windows app instead of the app you set.

This tutorial will show you how to fix and stop getting the An app default was reset notification for your account in Windows 10.

Note The fix will exclude the Microsoft Edge, Photos, 3D Builder, Zune Music, and Zune Video built-in Windows apps from being listed in the Open with dialog box.

You will still be able to set default programs for Windows apps and file type associations in the Control Panel after applying the fix below.

EXAMPLE: "An app default was reset" notification

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (fix) or step 3 (undo fix) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Fix "An app default was reset"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Fix_An_app_default_was_reset.reg

Download

3. To Undo "An app default was reset" Fix
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Undo_Fix_An_app_default_was_reset.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

morgish, Nov 14, 2017

2. Getting error message "An app default was reset" on Windows 10

Hello Roxane,

We realize your concern in this regard. Let us know few things to analyze the issue.

• Is this the exact and complete error message you're getting?
    • When exactly you're getting this error message?
    • Since when this started to happen?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer? Like installing software or Windows Update?
    • Which Windows 10 version installed on your computer? Press Windows logo key + R, type
      winver and hit Enter key. Now see the version and build details.
    Give us these details to assist you better.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Nov 14, 2017
  3. Getting error message "An app default was reset" on Windows 10

Old title: windows 10 resetting my aps!!!!

I keep getting notices that "An app was default was reset..."

IF I WANTED ANY OF MY APPS RESET I WOULD DO IT!!!

THIS IS BS!!!!

RoxaneSummer, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Kris, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The blue note box at the top of the tutorial explains what the fix essentially does. Doing this prevents this notification.

Brink, Nov 14, 2017
  5. morgish Win User
    Cheers Brink.

Hopefully we won't have to apply this fix once MS fixes the problem.

morgish, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix app default

2. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  3. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  4. An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos: Hello Sir, My name is Ronak Savla, I have windows 10 pro, I get an problem as I start my computer for some work, I see the default app is changed from windows photo viewer which I installed as an registry file and it changes to default photo app. Can you give me any...
  5. An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 PC users might be faced with the An app default was reset loop notifications popping up in the Action Center. You’ll notice the […] This article An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Windows 10 automatically resetting default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 automatically resetting default apps: Hello, This STILL seems to be an ongoing problem for many, many users and I'm not understanding why you guys don't seem to care. Windows 10 forces a change of your default apps to Edge, etc every time you reboot, instead of Firefox/Chrome, Adobe PDF, etc. which the user...
  7. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  8. Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps: At least once a week, I have to manually reset the default apps for Photos, Video, and PDF files. The keep getting reset to 'none'. It is not that they are being hijacked by a microsoft app, but rather they just lose the setting altogether. I do not use Edge at all, though...
  9. Reset taskbar apps to default - Windows 10

Reset taskbar apps to default - Windows 10: Hi, I am using an Acer Spin 1 on Windows 10 Home, and I would like to reset my taskbar apps to the default Windows layout. Is there a way to do this without resetting my computer somehow? Thank you to whoever can help me with this issue....
  10. Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps

Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps: Hello, I'm a IT support technician in a group where we have several hundred of machines with windows 10 1709 Installed (16299.492). I have a problem with a few of them (not all) : Everytime we restart the PC, windows decides to revert the defaults app to default, IE .pdf...