Windows 10: Fix broken Search shortcuts

Discus and support Fix broken Search shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have reinstalled my audio drivers and whenever I type "Dell Audio" on the Start menu, it pops up but doesn't work whenever I click it. (1st picture)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djdelarosa25, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Fix broken Search shortcuts

I have reinstalled my audio drivers and whenever I type "Dell Audio" on the Start menu, it pops up but doesn't work whenever I click it. (1st picture)

Fix broken Search shortcuts [​IMG]

The shortcut under the Start menu folders works, though. (2nd picture)

Fix broken Search shortcuts [​IMG]

:)

djdelarosa25, Jun 18, 2017

2. how to get rid of shortcuts

BELOW IS AN EMAIL FROM MY TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM. sINCE DOWNLOADING WINDOWS 10 MY DOWNLOAD SPEED HAS BEEN CUT FROM 60 TO 8.4 WHILE MY UPLOAD SPEED IS FINE AT 63. tHE ONLY PROBLEM THAT SHOWS UP IN MY SECURITY
    AND VIRUS PROTECTION PROGRAM IS 10 SHORTCUTS THAT THEY CANNOT REMOVE. i AM THINKING THAT 10 SHORTCUTS MAYBE THE PROBLEM. dOES ANYBOBY KNOW HOW TO GET THESES SHORTCUTS REMOVED.

Hello Terry,

Did you just upgrade your operating system to Windows 10?

The C:\Windows.old\ folder that these old shortcuts are in, is retaining your previous version of Windows for up to 30 days from when you upgraded your operating system. The LNK files (shortcuts) are "broken"
    because they no longer point to anything useful, but they're in a place you wouldn't be trying to access anyway. This is basically a harmless problem, but Windows will take care of it automatically when it eventually deletes the Windows.old folder for you.
    You can do this sooner by using the disk cleanup function in Windows, but since Windows will do this anyway you shouldn't have to worry about it. In Fix-It Utilities you may safely tell it to ignore this problem.

Thank you,

Dave B.

VCOM Technical Support

Office hours are:

5:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific Time

24/08/2015 06:10 - Terry Flohr wrote:

Dear Vcom:

I have tried all that you have sent me but still cant fix the broken shortcuts. Below are the shortcuts that are effecting my computer and the cleaner program cant remove them. Please tell me how to remove them.
    Terry

Normal Scan: 10 broken shortcuts found

Shortcut:c:\Windows.old\

Broken Shortcut Can’t Be Removed

Shortcut:C:\Windows.old\

Shortcut:C\Windows.old\

Shortcut: C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\

Shortcut: C:\Windows.old\PragramData\

Shortcut: :\Windows.old/ProgramData/

Shortcut: C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\

Sincerely,

Terry L. Flohr

TerryFlohr, Jun 18, 2017
  3. why my windows7 Windows Mobile Device Centre is not running after click

Hello. Can you search for a file wmdc.exe on your PC and run that? Maybe your shortcut is broken?? I would definitely try to reinstall it, maybe with security software disabled.

Resourceful, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Fix broken Search shortcuts

Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  5. djdelarosa25, Jun 18, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you right click on the search result and click on "Open file location", does it actually take you to its location?

Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  7. Nothing pops up when I right click it

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Does it do the same for anything else you search for?

Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Nope, the only fault is for this specific app. On everything else, there is no issue

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I can only think that it's something that hasn't updated yet, and will hopefully do so soon.

Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  11. It's driving my OCD crazy hahaha

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  13. Greyhound Win User

Hi DJ…
    I had the same issue last week. Not with all programs butwith random ones e.g. Notepad, Snipping Tool, Macrium Reflect and others.
    The issue was definitely only with my account as anotheraccount on the same PC was fine.
    I tried re-indexing but that didn’t work.
    I eventually found this site and this solution worked atreat JAll credit goes to them. (Hope it's OK to post the link)

SOLVED: Video: How To Hard Reset or Remove Cortana In Windows 10 - Up & Running Technologies, Tech How To's
    (I followed the “LONG VERSION for Regular Folks” by theway.)
    I also own a Dell with Dell Audio installed and by chance, Iupdated it the other day. When I saw your issue this morning, I tried searching my PCfor Dell Audio – it wasn’t even found but the program would openOK from the start menu, so looks like the issue is caused by the update install.

I reset Cortana again and Dell Audio now appears whensearched for and also opens OK from the result.
    Hope this helps.
    Al…

Greyhound, Jun 18, 2017
  14. It worked! Thanks a lot, bud *Biggrin

djdelarosa25, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Fix broken Search shortcuts - Similar Threads - Fix broken Search

2. Broken desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken desktop Shortcuts: Hi all,I have a problem with my desktop shortuts. When I restart my laptop and click on any shortcut, I get the below message.The program still opens, but the shortcut icon disappears and is now in my recycling bin. This happens everytime the laptop restarts with every...
  3. How to fix broken emoji shortcut and snip & sketch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix broken emoji shortcut and snip & sketch?: I am unable to add emoji with the help of shortcut win+: and snip & sketch Windows logo key + Shift + Sfor past few months. I have even tried to use snipping tool manually and it seems broken. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the tool but the problem still remains...
  4. How to fix broken emoji shortcut and snip & sketch?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix broken emoji shortcut and snip & sketch?: I am unable to add emoji with the help of shortcut win+: and snip & sketch Windows logo key + Shift + Sfor past few months. I have even tried to use snipping tool manually and it seems broken. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the tool but the problem still remains...
  5. How to fix broken emoji shortcut and snip & sketch?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Broken system shortcuts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken system shortcuts: When I press Win key + R my run window comes up and I can run CMD from systen32 folder but when I open menu and go to windows system menu the shortcuts are white and do not open the programs. Same thing happens if I type run or command in menu, white shortcuts and do not open...
  7. Broken system shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken system shortcuts: When I press Win key + R my run window comes up and I can run CMD from systen32 folder but when I open menu and go to windows system menu the shortcuts are white and do not open the programs...
  8. Shortcuts broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcuts broken: [ATTACH] I recently updated my PC (yesterday) and all my shortcuts are now broken .url files.is there a way to fix this other than recreating the shortcuts? https://preview.redd.it/tm54cduglkp61.png?width=617&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9da703bce7a832077ee189d9a1262864c272beb...
  9. Search Broken - None of the Fixes are Working

in Cortana
    Search Broken - None of the Fixes are Working: The search field was working find and all of a sudden, when a search I get a big grey box and it will not work. I've already looked for resolutions and nothing is working. This is a major issue for me, I have a lot of files as I'm a writer with hundreds of articles I often...
  10. Ctrl Shortcuts Broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Shortcuts Broken: They only break when I'm playing a game, but here's a list of things people told me and it didn't work. -updating drivers -running troubleshooter -sfc /scannow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when ever i click spacebar my indexing menu pops up

2. search for broken shortcuts