Windows 10: Fix UEFI Boot

Discus and support Fix UEFI Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have my neighbors lenovo laptop and it will not boot. It got stuck on "restarting" and i powered it off now it will not boot. I messed around for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jitter77, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jitter77 Win User

Fix UEFI Boot

I have my neighbors lenovo laptop and it will not boot. It got stuck on "restarting" and i powered it off now it will not boot. I messed around for hours with recovery tools and dos commands with no luck. Startup repair or diskpart did not work. I did have some unallocated HD space and i want to install Windows 10 on that so i started the process. The laptop boots with UEFI and was wondering if there was a way to recover the messed up main partition. The bottom line is i want to be able to dual boot.

:)

Jitter77, Jan 5, 2018
  2. Gabba07 Win User

Checking media [Fail]

Hi Kalpana,

Thanks for trying to assist me. I have gone through the link you suggested, some people having similar problems got theirs fixed by changing the boot sequence as follows:

UEFI BOOT:

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv4

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv6

Unfortunately, I only have this two options:

UEFI BOOT:

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv6

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv6

Any other suggestions will be welcomed, thanks in advance.

Gabba07, Jan 5, 2018
  3. After upgrading to Windows 10: Windows Sockets registry entries missing

Disabling UEFI Secure Boot fixed it for me.

JosephBrunner, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Fix UEFI Boot

Install windows 10 normally on another partition then go into file explorer and copy all of the data on the the other partition to the functional partition (exclude system files) and then delete the broken partition.

KingRageWin10, Jan 5, 2018
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Did you try chkdsk /x /f /r from the Command Prompt of a install DVD or flash drive ?

If no help, try

bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Reboot and see if that resolved the problem.

Ztruker, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Jitter77 Win User
    I did try this earlier fixboot said access was denied

Jitter77, Jan 5, 2018
  7. Ztruker Win User
    You booted the install DVD or flash drive? Took the Repair your computer choice to get to a Command Prompt?

Please post the results of the following from the Command Prompt:

diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk # (where # is the disk Windows 10 is on)
    detail disk

Capture with a digital camera or your phone and post the picture here please.

Ztruker, Jan 6, 2018
  8. philipyip Win User

Fix UEFI Boot

In this case I would recommend using a Linux Live Fedora Bootable USB. This will allow you to Access the HDD and copy over important files to an external HDD. After this is done you can safely clean install Windows 10 properly.

philipyip, Jan 18, 2018
  9. Linux solutions NO LONGER WORK unless you have disabled Fast Startup in Win10 because with that enabled (which it is by default!), when you go to access the Windows filesystem, Linux will complain that it can't mount the volumes! That is because Fast Startup keeps the volumes mounted, even when Windows is not running, and Linux will not mount them a second time.

Mark Phelps, Jan 18, 2018
  10. philipyip Win User
    If you get an error message like the following:
    “Unable to access “xxx GB Volume” The NTFS partition is an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the ‘ro’ mount option.

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

To the top left click Activities and then left click Show Applications:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

To the right, select the orb to move down to the next screen or applications:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Left click Utilities:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Left Click Disks:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

To the left ensure you have your Windows HDD/SSD selected:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Select the largest partition by left clicking on it and left click the settings crank:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Select Edit Mount Settings:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Turn Automatic Mount Options off:

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Left click the field:
    nosuid.nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

At the end add ,ro with no spaces (comma) so it says:
    nosuid.nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro

Fix UEFI Boot [​IMG]

Select ok and now your Windows HDD/SSD will be read only allowing you to copy the data from it.

philipyip, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fix UEFI Boot

1. Fix UEFI Boot - Similar Threads - Fix UEFI Boot

2. Windows Will Not Boot UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Will Not Boot UEFI: Windows will not boot URFI. Everywhere it says on search for windows and bios regardless of OS it will boot to bios on firmware init when press the key. Windows is breaking it....
  3. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  4. UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI Boot: Following a Windows 10 updateto version 2004 on 18thAugust 2020, my PC goes into a boot loop, I can get out of it by pressing F12 and selecting Windows Boot Manager rather than the default UEFI partition 1 on a Kingston SSD. The PC then boots and runs normally. I would like...
  5. UEFI Boot Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI Boot Issue: Heyo: I have an issue with a Dell Inspiron 5767. Basically, I had a BIOS update and now the computer isn't booting to the OS. Upon restart , it loads to automatic repair. The only thing I did was the Dell assistant upgraded the BIOS to 1.2.8. it said it successfully...
  6. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...
  7. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  8. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  9. UEFI boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot issues: Hi Everyone i recently wiped my PC and reinstalled the most recent ISO from Microsoft, i changed from MBR to UEFI and i'm experiencing a few issues 1. turn pc on without monitor / pc on it turns on and posts but the screens are blank when i power my monitor on 2. if my...
  10. UEFI booting

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI booting: I created two UEFI bootable USB drives: USB stick 1.) using windows 10 "create recovery drive" - on a 32GB usb 3.0 drive USB stick 2.) using EASE US backup/restore software - on a 4GB usb 2.0 drive Both sticks appear to be UEFI. When I put them in my windows 10 desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is windows boot manger uefi IFV4/UEFI IFV6 on windows 10