Windows 10: Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

Discus and support Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; What my user folders looked like at first: [img] Notice how the OneDrive and Podcasts folders stick out due to the Windows 7/8-style folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by davidvkimball, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

What my user folders looked like at first:

Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts [​IMG]

Notice how the OneDrive and Podcasts folders stick out due to the Windows 7/8-style folders icons.

So I found an alternative OneDrive icon in the image shell32.dll in C:\Windows, extracted it and used that one (Windows 10-style icon).

Then I created my own podcasts icon. I used the Windows 10-style folder paired with the Zune podcast icon to create my own custom icon. Here's the end result:

All of the folders match, now!!

If you're interested in getting your hands on these folder .ico files yourself, they're attached below!

Instructions:

1) Download the ico files to a permanent location
    2) Start with C:\ then navigate to the parent folder of the folder you want to customize (like C:\Users\[USERFOLDER])

1. Right click the folder, select Properties
    2. Select the Customize tab
    3. Click "Change icon..."
    4. Then click "Browse..." and find where you saved your .ico file, and select it
    5. Click OK.
    Cheers,

David

Download: OneDrive.ico Podcast.ico

(note the Podcasts shell folder only exists if you've installed the Zune software)

:)

davidvkimball, Aug 13, 2015
  2. catfeesh Win User

Windows 10 phone companion importing unwanted images

I deleted the contents of a folder on my phone which was filled with podcast images (I'm using podcast addict). I then manually deselected the remaining unwanted images (mostly app icons) during import using the 'phone companion'. I was able to import
    all my photos with a folder structure to my Windows 10 PC cloud free.

catfeesh, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Podcasts.....how does it know?

I thought I would add a few extra bits of info that may be of use to people:

1) How to get podcasts into the podcast list:

Either use an ID3 editor or in windows (right click properties on the file and select the details tab) and set the genre to Podcast. Copy them to your phone, launch music and refresh the library. The newly copied files will appear in the podcast list under
    folders defined by the Album title (i.e. if you have two podcasts with the same album name then they will be in the one folder).

2) Video Podcasts

These will not appear in the podcast list even if the genre is set to podcast but if you check out the video player they will appear there.

3) m4a - enhanced podcasts

These will appear in the podcast folder but if you try and play them in the music player they will not play. These files will only play in the video player....but do not appear in the list within the application so find the file using file manager and click
    on it and it will play.

4) Deleting podcasts

There seems to be a small bug in the music software and if you don't delete podcasts correctly the folder (defined by the album title) is maintained in the library list. The problem is triggered when only one podcast remains in a folder and you go into the
    folder and delete the file. For some reason this leaves the folder behind and attempts to delete this are met with an error. If you copy a new file with the same album name then on the next refresh the folder shows 2 files even though only one exists. To prevent
    this from happening, when only one file exists in the podcast folder then delete the folder. This will delete the file and folder.

5) Recovering from the podcast folder error

Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable. If it does not connect as mass storage device (the default connection method is for Ovi Suite) then go to the connectivity menu and select the USB option and then Mass Storage. The phone will disconnect and
    connect correctly. When active, find the "Private" folder on the same drive, which used to contain the podcast you have since deleted. Locate the following folders and delete the contents (not the folders):

101ffca9 > harvesterdbv10_1.dat

10281e17 > [101FFC31]MPXV3_1.db

[101FFC31]PCV6_1.db

[102830AB]thumbnail_v4.db

When you have deleted these files, unplug the USB cable and the phone and after the phone has settled down, launch music and refresh the library (if it doesn't ask you to do it automatically).

Scary Note - When you connect the USB cable and set it to mass storage you may note that the home screen looses it's theme and some applications loose their icons. This affects all apps / themes loaded on the external medium storage. Don't PANIC !! as soon
    as you disconnect the cable (or set the connection method back to OVI) after a few seconds your phone will reset back to the original settings and icons.

If I find out anything else I will post up.

smjohns---01, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

Nice. What software did you use to make the podcasts icon?

nigelmercier, Aug 13, 2015
  5. I just copied the mic icon found in the Zune software's "My Podcasts" shell folder, used Photoshop to erase the Windows 7/8-style folder and isolate just the mic icon, then put it into the Windows 10-style folder.

6. So this icon is only at one resolution?

7. No it resizes itself appropriately. I copied each differently-sized MIC icon and paired it with each differently-sized Windows 10 folder icon.

8. Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

OK, that's good.

I don't think my CS5 version of Photoshop has native support for ICO files; so do you have a later version, or a plug-in?

9. I actually use a program called IcoFX, but Photoshop also has an ico plugin but it's kind of weird. IcoFX is much better!

10. You're welcome, Nigel! Hope you find this useful. :]

davidvkimball, Aug 20, 2015
  11. GBT
    gbt Win User
    hi David
    can you share 3D Objects icon

12. You're welcome!

davidvkimball, Jun 2, 2016
  13. Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

To get the 3D Objects icon, you only need to open the 3D Builder app, and the folder appears in your userfolder.

davidvkimball, Jun 2, 2016
  14. NStudios Win User
    The "Change Icon" button isn't appearing in the Customization tab for me.

To clarify, this is the Properties Window for my OneDrive Destination Folder, located at "C:\Users\David\OneDrive"
    I suspect this is being prevented by something deeper in OneDrive's Windows 10 integration. Can someone help me figure out what's preventing this and find a workaround?

NStudios, Oct 11, 2016
  15. C3POwen Win User
    The OneDrive folder contains a hidden "desktop.ini" file that needs to be edited to pick up the newer OneDrive folder icon from "imageres.dll".

Enable "Hidden items" and untick "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in Windows Explorer and open the OneDrive folder.

Open "desktop.ini" and change "IconResource" to read:

Code: IconResource=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,217[/quote]
    Save the changes and close the file. You might need to rebuild the icon cache to see the updated icon, but a restart should probably do it.

I was also inspired by David's initial post to create my own Podcasts folder icon using the microphone icon from the Windows 10 Device Manager:

Download: Podcasts folder.ico

C3POwen, Jan 25, 2017
Thema:

Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts

1. Fixed folder icons for OneDrive and Podcasts - Similar Threads - Fixed folder icons

2. OneDrive Icon missing and folder doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Icon missing and folder doesn't work: At some point over the last few days the OneDrive icon which is usually in the bottom right corner of the taskbar has disappeared. I can access my OneDrive folder through file explorer, however the files are not up to date with what files should actually be there, I checked...
  3. OneDrive Icon missing and folder doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Icon missing and folder doesn't work: At some point over the last few days the OneDrive icon which is usually in the bottom right corner of the taskbar has disappeared. I can access my OneDrive folder through file explorer, however the files are not up to date with what files should actually be there, I checked...
  4. OneDrive Icon missing and folder doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive Folder Icon Incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Folder Icon Incorrect: This happened a few months back and I gave up in frustration because I couldn't figure the issue out. My OneDrive folder icon no longer shows the correct icon and instead displays the default folder icon see screenshots belowThe actions I've taken are resetting OneDrive,...
  6. OneDrive Folder Icon Incorrect

OneDrive Folder Icon Incorrect: This happened a few months back and I gave up in frustration because I couldn't figure the issue out. My OneDrive folder icon no longer shows the correct icon and instead displays the default folder icon see screenshots belowThe actions I've taken are resetting OneDrive,...
  7. Error icons on my OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error icons on my OneDrive folders: Hi, I have these error icons on my OneDrive folders: [ATTACH] I don't use more storage than I'm allowed to, the sync works perfectly and no errors except these icons. I have cleared my waste basket (in OneDrive) and tried to repair OneDrive, no luck. Any ideas are most...
  8. 2 people icon by some Onedrive folders

2 people icon by some Onedrive folders: Running Windows 10 1709, and a few of my Onedrive folders have the 2 people icon next to the name in File Explorer. As far as I know, none of these folders is shared, so what do they indicate? [img] 100200
  9. Fix OneDrive icon on file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix OneDrive icon on file explorer?: [img] any idea to fix this ? 82578
  10. OneDrive folder permissions - Fix

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive folder permissions - Fix: Found the problem. *Smile While you are still listed as the owner of each subfolder in the OneDrive folder, some subfolders no longer have inherited permissions enabled. If you Enable inheritance and OK for each affected subfolder in the OneDrive folder, it will no...