Windows 10: Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

Discus and support Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have (3) Microsoft brand 32 GB thumb drives that have Win 8.1 and preload software for my HP laptop, I have no use for them, and I'm certainly not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HC1Gunner, Jan 6, 2018.

1. HC1Gunner Win User

Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

I have (3) Microsoft brand 32 GB thumb drives that have Win 8.1 and preload software for my HP laptop, I have no use for them, and I'm certainly not ever going to put Win 8.1 back on my laptop, I spend most of time on my Surface and desktop PC, laptop is a backup device that rarely is used. The drives do not have any type of write protect button on them. I've tried one app, and several commands in diskpart, but I can not find a way to get past the write protection to format them. Right now my desktop PC is hard down waiting on new mobo to arrive, I could use the temporary storage space they would provide.

:)

HC1Gunner, Jan 6, 2018

2. Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive from Amazon

Amazon is starting pre-orders for Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive but nothing listed for DVD. Will it have the same write protection as the Autodesk, Dell, or other vendor specific USB flash drives used for software distribution? Will it have a vendor
    specific USB controller with write protection to prevent users from formatting or deleting contents of the preloaded flash drive containing the purchased software?

KeithWeisshar, Jan 6, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How To Remove Windows 10 Install Files From USB Flash Drive

Insert the flash drive into your PC

Open Windows File Explorer

Right click the Flash Drive and choose 'Format'

If you are still getting a 'Write Protection' error on the drive and there is no lock switch on the drive, then I am sorry this is a common error on these drives, the drive is fried !!

DaveM121, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

Have you tried the Disk Management tool. I had a similar thing and I was able to accomplish my chore with it.

Good luck ...

Wiley Coyote, Jan 6, 2018
  5. HC1Gunner Win User
    It won't format with any tool that is part of Windows.

HC1Gunner, Jan 7, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    As I understand it, the USBs Microsoft supply when you buy their software are write-protected at the hardware level. You cannot undo this and reuse such a USB.

Bree, Jan 7, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep, what @Bree said!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

1. Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format - Similar Threads - Flash Drive Write

2. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  3. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  4. Flash Drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash Drive is write protected: I have a brand new PNY 256gb flash drive. I started to copy files to it and I got the message that it must be formatted before using it. I tried to format it and after a few minutes, I got the following error message: The disk is write protected. I tried SFC/SCAN file and got...
  5. USB Flash drives write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drives write protected: Recently my four USB flash drives were write protected by Windows 10 Pro. I am using a version 2004. How can I removed the write protection. I have tried the DISKPART, REGEDIT, search the net, but to no help. Can anyone help me on this please. [ATTACH] Thank you Ricky...
  6. USB Flash drive not able to format, Windows showing as write-protected.

USB Flash drive not able to format, Windows showing as write-protected.: Hi there, I am having this issue with my flash drive, Windows is not able to format it, it shows as write protected. The USB is in RAW Format and the model is "HP USB 3.1 x765w", no one is willing @ HP Community to help, so I thought I could get help here, here are some...
  7. USB flash drive write protected

USB flash drive write protected: I am trying to understand the programing of a USB Flash drive from the manufacturers. I understand the microcontrollers. I can understand PIC Erom type memory chips. I am unsure of how the program for the write protect is set from the computer into the microcontroller of the...
  8. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  9. USB Flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drive is write protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write protected" error, please? Thanks in advance!...
  10. USB Flash drive is write-protected

USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...