Windows 10: Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign?

Discus and support Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Following the latest 10 update today my Samsung laptop has lost 'Fn + Function key' control of brightness, screen switching, and wifi on/off. It still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NikolaiDante, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign?

Following the latest 10 update today my Samsung laptop has lost 'Fn + Function key' control of brightness, screen switching, and wifi on/off. It still has all the volumes and print screen working. The update deleted Samsung Easy Settings, which won't re-install because of the incompatabilty error message. There is no newer version as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to manually assign the Function keys (in their Fn + Function key mode) to get these controls back again? I've searched here and online but can't find the answer to manually assigning the keys as there are too many similar questions. I don't want to change already-assigned Function key actions, just recover the ones mentioned, in Fn + Function mode.

Thanks.

:)

NikolaiDante, Jun 16, 2017
  2. HansHill Win User

keyboard keys changed by itself

the fn shortcut keys suddenly changed it's function. Especially fn+f3 became search function (Ctrl+f) even after resetting the pc the function still did not change. It did not work even if I fn+f4 to sleep or fn+f8 to mute. How to restore the key to its
    original function?

HansHill, Jun 16, 2017
  3. Glee831 Win User
    Cannot disable touchpad on Asus Laptop R500VM - Windows 10

I have an Asus laptop with the same problem. After the upgrade to Windows 10 the Fn + f9 key function no longer turns off the touchpad. I've tried uninstalling the touchpad driver, but Windows 10 re-installs the driver automatically upon reboot.

In answer to the above question, all other Fn key functions appear to be working except for possibly the two fn keys associated with the keyboard back-light brightness.

Any further answers?

Glee831, Jun 16, 2017
  4. Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign?

Hi NikolaiDante

The have been several postings on losing Brightness control from Function keys.

I personally experienced on my HP Probooks and an older HP. I lost all capability to control Brightness, even in Settings.

You might try re-installing the software in Compatibility mode. Right click on the exe, then Properties, then Compatibilty tab.

While it may let you install the fact that I can't control it in settings suggests that this problem is much deeper in code. I can't even change in Catalyst Control Center.

Any chance your device is using AMD drivers?

Can you control Brightness in Settings? Right click on Desktop, then Display Settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 16, 2017
  5. Thanks Ken. I didn't try Compatability Mode because the drop-down menu of versions only goes up to 8. As it was working fine on 10 before today's update I didn't think that was worth it. Just old software which Samsung have left behind, I guess.

Yes, I can make changes through Settings but it's a bit of a pain having those extra steps. (Today's First World problem...) Also the wifi light is constantly on even if the wifi is switched off through Settings which is annoying as I usually have wifi off. Also annoying that I have a machine which has been working well for the last six months or so, and now thanks to a Microsoft update it's not.

I found lots of info about assigning hot keys, software to do it, etc, but I was hoping I could learn how to assign Fn + Function keys from scratch. Maybe not so straightforward?

NikolaiDante, Jun 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you should be able to emulate that using Autohotkey and nircmd (free) if you can't get your utility to work.
    You'd need just two lines of script- a label to assign the hotkey, and the command, one for up, one for down.

This would be comparatively straightforward except you'd have to find the code to use for your particular keyboard for the Fn + key combination. Guide here:
    laptop - Map to screen brightness using AutoHotKey? - Super User

Nircmd utility here (very powerful, small):
    NirCmd - Freeware command-line tool for Windows

Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign? [​IMG]

This requires you to do a bit of work reading Autohotkey help, and experimenting and discovering your key code(s).

However a much easier way to deal with screen brightness is to use Volumouse (free): one key of your choice + scroll wheel.

Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  7. Thanks dalchini, I'll have a look at those.

NikolaiDante, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign?

1. Fn key not working on all Function keys after Update; way to assign? - Similar Threads - key working Function

2. Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work: My function keys on my USB keyboard don't work whenever I press "fn". e.g I can press F2 to change a file's name and it works just fine, but if I press fn + F2 to lower the volume, it doesn't work, and it's the same for the rest of the function keys, they work all just fine...
  3. Function keys not working after updating?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Function keys not working after updating?: Hey there! So I finally got around to doing an update that Windows 10 had been bugging me to do for a while and its 1909. The only problem I've actually experienced with it is that my function keys aren't working at all. i cant use alt+f4 at all and that is a huge thing for...
  4. Way to permanently switch meaning of FN-keys with Non-FN function?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Way to permanently switch meaning of FN-keys with Non-FN function?: I need quite occasionally press keys on the top row of my keyboard like F2, F5, Print,.... To get them I always have to press additionally (just before) the <Fn> key. I want to avoid this. Is there a way to switch (forever) the meaning of Fn with Non-Fn keys? Only for the...
  5. Fn key not working

Fn key not working: Hi, My Fn key randomly stops working, sometimes it doesn't work on start-up. I have a dell g5 5590. Tried fixes: - Reinstalling HID keyboard drivers. - trying Windows mobility center, the option is absent. - Activating, reactivating through bios. - reinstalling...
  6. how to assign the function keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to assign the function keys: How do I assign the function keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-the-function-keys/be4471e2-dc08-43cf-a6df-67e985e30a7c
  7. Function key (Fn) is not working!

Function key (Fn) is not working!: When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time....
  8. Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...

Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...: Recently I had to completely start over on my laptop. Full delete, format and reinstall of windows twas the only was to defeat the 'endless reboot loop'. Yes, I tried everything I could find... but after a fortnight of trying, retrying and working through countless errors...
  9. Software to assign function keys?

Software to assign function keys?: I would like to make function keys to mute, volume up, and volume down. How can this be done? Are there hot keys or shortcuts to do this? Or is there software that can assign these to function keys? 58791
  10. Fn Key functions are not all working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fn Key functions are not all working: hello i have VAIO E VPCEH3AEA Fn + F1 = lock touchpad =>not working Fn + F2 = mute volume => working Fn + F3 = decrease volume => working Fn + F4 = increase volume => working Fn + F5 = decrease brightness => not working Fn + F6 = increase brightness => not working Fn...