Windows 10: Focus follows mouse

Discus and support Focus follows mouse in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Like many old-timers, I find having focus follows mouse (x-mouse) a much more productive way to work than having to click in a window to give it focus.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gulliversmith, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Focus follows mouse

Like many old-timers, I find having focus follows mouse (x-mouse) a much more productive way to work than having to click in a window to give it focus. A huge advantage is to have information in a foreground window and be able to move the mouse into a partially obscured window and type using the foreground window as a reference.

However, more and more applications and operating systems, Windows being a big culprit, make windows disappear when the mouse leaves them. This is horrible. I can't click on something in the task bar and move the mouse to click in the menu because the menu disappears. I can't open an about window, then move to another window and type say the version number, because the about window has disappeared.

This is a plea to Microsoft - please make everything usable for the sizeable minority who prefers x-mouse!

Transparent titlebars are a problem too, since the only way of raising a window is to click in the title bar (or border), (except for the other class of horrible applications that auto-raise when the but first you need to find it.

:)

gulliversmith, Mar 4, 2016
  2. qophyn Win User

Can't turn off window tracking

Anniversary update broke this hack, delay no longer works and it is really frustrating to use my computer now.

MS-Windows focus-follows-mouse Registry hacks

I've reverted most of the settings(not the hexidecimal one, I don't remember the original value), turned it off in accessibility, and focus still follows my mouse.

qophyn, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Mar 4, 2016
Thema:

Focus follows mouse

1. Focus follows mouse - Similar Threads - Focus follows mouse

2. Focus follows cursor doesn't work between panes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Focus follows cursor doesn't work between panes: I'm busy setting up a new PC with Win10 and have been driven to madness by the following:In the File Explorer window, when I hover my mouse over the left-side folder list pane, it willnot allow me to scroll without clicking first. If I then move my cursor over to the reading...
  3. Focus follows cursor doesn't work between panes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Focus follows cursor doesn't work between panes: I'm busy setting up a new PC with Win10 and have been driven to madness by the following:In the File Explorer window, when I hover my mouse over the left-side folder list pane, it willnot allow me to scroll without clicking first. If I then move my cursor over to the reading...
  4. Mouse focus is not working at all

Mouse focus is not working at all: Does not matter the program running.... World of Warcraft or Twitch or Notepad.I could be typing and if lets say the mouse moves either accidental but no clicking of the mouse was done then I can no longer type! This never happened in Windows 2000 or Windows XP or Windows...
  5. Mouse focus is not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse focus is not working at all: Does not matter the program running.... World of Warcraft or Twitch or Notepad.I could be typing and if lets say the mouse moves either accidental but no clicking of the mouse was done then I can no longer type! This never happened in Windows 2000 or Windows XP or Windows...
  6. [SOLVED] Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11: I just upgraded to Windows 11, and I can't seem to tweak the windows raise delay when I activate Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the Mouse easier to use > Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse. This used to work perfectly on Windows 10.I tried following...
  7. [SOLVED] Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11

[SOLVED] Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11: I just upgraded to Windows 11, and I can't seem to tweak the windows raise delay when I activate Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the Mouse easier to use > Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse. This used to work perfectly on Windows 10.I tried following...
  8. Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11: I just upgraded to Windows 11, and I can't seem to tweak the windows raise delay when I activate Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the Mouse easier to use > Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse. This used to work perfectly on Windows 10.I tried following...
  9. Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11

Can't change the delay to raise window on "focus follow mouse" on Windows 11: I just upgraded to Windows 11, and I can't seem to tweak the windows raise delay when I activate Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the Mouse easier to use > Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse. This used to work perfectly on Windows 10.I tried following...
  10. Turning off "window focus follows mouse"

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off "window focus follows mouse": I was running Win 7 before the upgrade and I had the window focus setting to follow my mouse. In other words, I just needed to place my mouse in a window for it to be focused... no clicking necessary. There was a small delay in the focus and this worked well for me. I find in...