Windows 10: Focus stays on main window, warning dialogs hidden in background

Discus and support Focus stays on main window, warning dialogs hidden in background in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For instance: Edge downloads a program which has a setup dialog. On hitting run, the setup dialog appears on the taskbar, but Edge remains in front.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fafhrd, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Focus stays on main window, warning dialogs hidden in background

For instance: Edge downloads a program which has a setup dialog. On hitting run, the setup dialog appears on the taskbar, but Edge remains in front. Once you bring the setup screen is in focus, you don't realise that it will not respond because, again, behind Edge, another dialog has opened saying "another instance of setup is already running".

This behaviour seems to happen with other error messages, and property sheets etc. which ought to be brought to front, but open in the background.

Does anyone else see this, and what is the resolution to it?

:)

Fafhrd, Aug 9, 2015

2. Erratic, inconsistent taskbar behavior

Setup:

fresh install W10 Pro 64, latest updates and drivers

two monitors, extended, taskbar only on display1, no taskbar autohide

display1 has borderless windowed fullscreen program - app1 and a maximized windowed program - app3

display2 has normal windowed program - app2

app1 has focus, taskbar is hidden

Procedure1:

alt tab from app1 into app2 or click on app2 on display2

Expected behaviour:

focus on app2 and show the taskbar

Actual behaviour:

focus on app2, taskbar stays hidden

Procedure2:

click on desktop on display2

Expected behaviour:

show the taskbar on display1, focus on desktop

Actual behaviour:

taskbar stays hidden, focus on desktop

Procedure3 (only sometimes, often with longer clicks or when doing it repeatedly):

hit Start key, then left or right click in either app1 or app2

Expected behaviour:

show taskbar then either focus on app1, hide the taskbar or focus on app2, taskbar stays on

Actual behaviour:

show taskbar then focus on app clicked, taskbar still shown even if clicking in app1

Procedure4:

hit Start key, then right click the taskbar icon of app3 on display1, switch to app3, click in app3, click in app3 again

Expected behaviour:

app3 is on top and in focus, taskbar stays shown

Actual behaviour:

app3 is in focus, taskbar disappears and is covered by app1

Is this normal behaviour in W10? It certainly isnt in W7.

As it is right now programs on other displays are treated differently than the ones on the main one. This should not be the case when using a single taskbar on the main display. Previous versions of Windows made it absolutely clear how the taskbar should function
    and has for over 2 decades. W10 has had nothing but problems with the taskbar. Fix the code and give us options. In general W10 lacks options, especially for annoyances such as

sticky corners

LukeDaniels, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Window Z-order Problem

I'm having a problem with the order of my windows. Every once in a while alt-tabbing leaves the current window on top and in focus, with the alt-tab selected app is one level below it. I've also had an app that displays a modal dialog box, but it occasionally
    is displayed behind the main window but retains focus and there is no way to get it to the front without using "close window". Oddly enough closing the window brings the modal dialog to the front instead of actually closing it.

It seems that once the machine gets into this state the only way to fix it is to log out and back in.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

tankaviator, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Keldian Win User

I've noticed this as well. Not only some Windows are not being brought to the foreground as they should, but you occasionally hear Windows sounds without having any indication of what triggered them. I'm aghast that we still have to put up with this annoying behavior after so many years of development.

Keldian, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I also get the phantom windows sounds.

Windows 8 consumer Preview and Release Preview both seemed more finished, with less developer weirdness than this GA version of Windows 10 to me. Things like the "NeverDefault" key in Windows Photo Viewer. And of course, the hopelessly long-winded method of transferring 10 to another computer (install old OS first then upgrade to 10)

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Focus stays on main window, warning dialogs hidden in background - Similar Threads - Focus stays main

2. Language bar will not stay hidden

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language bar will not stay hidden: I'm using Windows 10Everytime I restart my computer, the language bar icon will show up on the taskbar. Then i'll go to the advanced settings, turn it off, and as soon as I restart again, it's back again. I can't find a way to keep it hidden or to delete the second language I...
  3. Language bar will not stay hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Language bar will not stay hidden: I'm using Windows 10Everytime I restart my computer, the language bar icon will show up on the taskbar. Then i'll go to the advanced settings, turn it off, and as soon as I restart again, it's back again. I can't find a way to keep it hidden or to delete the second language I...
  4. Language bar will not stay hidden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cant Focus Background Window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant Focus Background Window: I'm having this really annoying Issue for about a Day now. Windows won't let me interact with any Background Window unless I middle Click it. Let me explain: let's say for example I'm currently in my Chrome Browser, everything within Chrome works fine as it should... but as...
  6. Cant Focus Background Window

Cant Focus Background Window: I'm having this really annoying Issue for about a Day now. Windows won't let me interact with any Background Window unless I middle Click it. Let me explain: let's say for example I'm currently in my Chrome Browser, everything within Chrome works fine as it should... but as...
  7. Cant Focus Background Window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Input focus on background window

Input focus on background window: How can I have keyboard input focus on a background window, but still have the foreground window layered on top? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-focus-on-background-window/258b2355-cab3-4cae-b6f0-1f60cb189104
  9. Input focus on background window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input focus on background window: How can I have keyboard input focus on a background window, but still have the foreground window layered on top? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-focus-on-background-window/258b2355-cab3-4cae-b6f0-1f60cb189104
  10. Print dialog hidden

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print dialog hidden: I am using Windows 10 and Photoshop CS6 on a Lenovo Yoga laptop. In the office, I have an external monitor. When using Photoshop, I use the external monitor at the office. When running it on the laptop away from the office, a couple things happen: 1. The PS window opens...