Windows 10: Folder copy instead of overwrite

Discus and support Folder copy instead of overwrite in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I copy folders to my flash drive I sometimes get "foldername - copy" added instead of the folder being over written. Does any one know why ? 99671 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelwright7557, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Folder copy instead of overwrite

When I copy folders to my flash drive I sometimes get "foldername - copy" added instead of the folder being over written.
    Does any one know why ?

:)

nigelwright7557, Dec 5, 2017
  2. HadiJouma Win User

Windows 10 Photo Gallery Resizing Images

Hello,

I am attempting to resize in bulk using photo gallery windows 10. My requirement is to resize and save overwriting the original images with the same name in the same original folder. So, I am selecting the same folder as the destination of the resized images
    however, photo gallery is not overwriting the original images instead, it keeps them and create a new resized copy of the images in the same folder. The new resized images name is appended with the image dimensions inside parentheses Which changes the name
    of the images.

How to make it overwrite the original without adding new copy? I have looked on every option but no luck.

Any help would appreciated.

Thank you

Hadi J.

HadiJouma, Dec 5, 2017
  3. MClasper Win User
    Pasting files creates copies instead of overwriting

Just the other day I noticed that when copy-pasting files, the window which lets you decide whether to keep both files or overwrite one no longer appears, and a copy is created automatically. How would I fix this?

MClasper, Dec 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Folder copy instead of overwrite

how are you copying as that can do strange things?

Samuria, Dec 5, 2017
  5. Highlighting source directories with control left mouse click then using control c to capture the files.
    Then click on flash drive directory then control v.
    Its odd it works mostly ok but now and then it goes wrong.

6. Try3 Win User
    Nigel,

Is it possible that this happens when you accidentally select the folder on the flash drive [instead of your intended source folder] and then copy it into place on the flash drive? Accidentally doing this would create the "foldername - copy" you are seeing.

Denis

Try3, Dec 5, 2017
  7. As it doesn't happen very often then maybe thats what is happening.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 5, 2017
  9. nigelwright7557, Dec 5, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder copy instead of overwrite - Similar Threads - Folder copy instead

2. No overwrite prompt displayed when copying multiple folders from phone to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No overwrite prompt displayed when copying multiple folders from phone to PC: Hello,I wanted to make a backup of the files on my phone. I've done this once before, so I assumed that another copy would be relatively quick, as most of the files already exist on my PC. However, I find that Windows 11 22H2 does not ask me what to do with the pre-existing...
  3. No overwrite prompt displayed when copying multiple folders from phone to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No overwrite prompt displayed when copying multiple folders from phone to PC: Hello,I wanted to make a backup of the files on my phone. I've done this once before, so I assumed that another copy would be relatively quick, as most of the files already exist on my PC. However, I find that Windows 11 22H2 does not ask me what to do with the pre-existing...
  4. How to overwrite Junction folder or create with the same name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to overwrite Junction folder or create with the same name?: Hi, I want to create a junction folder or overwrite it with the same folder name in OneDrive because it already has 65GB of data, so creating a new one will re-upload all the data which is difficult for me. So I want to continue from the last time it stopped syncing....
  5. save-as overwrite

save-as overwrite: Problem: when trying to save-as a file the software will grab another file name and then overwrite the file loosing that file.is there a way to stop the insanity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-overwrite/f3351996-f43c-4154-86e3-62f25e0bc2bb
  6. photo overwrite

photo overwrite: hello, after trying to create a mod for my gameFriday night funkin, I had written over an original picture from the game and for some reason, when I go to save, for some reason it isn't showing the picture that I would like to save the new modified picture OVER. When I go...
  7. Windows 10 I move a folder but it copies it instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 I move a folder but it copies it instead: Windows 10 I move a folder but it copies it instead. I have cut the folder and pasted the folder then it supposed to be gone from where I cut it but its just not doing it. ? I have done it 3 times I cut and pasted and I right clicked and dragged but this pesky folder still...
  8. Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates...

Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates...: This is really annoying -- for some reason, when I copy a file that was downloaded to my downloads folder to a location in My Documents (inside My Games folder), it does NOT ask if I want to overwrite the existing file (which is what I want). Instead it creates a file with...
  9. WIN 10 command to copy and keep all files copied (with the same name) without overwriting...

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN 10 command to copy and keep all files copied (with the same name) without overwriting...: Hi all I tried hard for 5 days to get cmd code to copy and paste a file from a specific location to another. I get a file which is being downloaded every 5 mins. So, the new file overwrites the older one. Now, I need to copy the updated file to another location such as the...
  10. How to configure "copying" progress window to show what folders are being copied instead...

How to configure "copying" progress window to show what folders are being copied instead...: How to configure "copying" progress window to show what folders are being copied instead just useless "from Local Disk (F:) to DATA (D:)" ? "copying" progress window is useless if you initiate multiple copying sessions and one of them gets stuck as in the figure below. Then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does save as overwrite or make copy

2. when i add files to windows explorer it makes a copy instead of overwriting

3. overwrite instead of save in winows 10

4. shared drive save as a new file instead of overwrite,
  5. instead of overwrite copy folder created in windows 10,
  6. saving files make copy inastead of overwriting