Windows 10: Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer

Discus and support Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello! for some reason, after doing some successful folder copies (ie no errors) from my external USB drive to my RAID 1 NAS, the contents of some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Matt26, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Matt26 Win User

Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer

hello!

for some reason, after doing some successful folder copies (ie no errors) from my external USB drive to my RAID 1 NAS, the contents of some source folders and their respective destination folders do not match in windows explorer, ie file/folder count and size are different. other folder copies do not appear to have this issue, only a select few.

the USB drive is FAT32, the NAS is EXT3, though windows explorer sees it as NTFS.

for example, here's what i'm seeing in windows explorer when i right-click/properties on a source and destination folder..

- source folder
    folders = 575
    files = 75
    size = 28.5 GB (this is not size on disk)

- destination folder
    folders = 583
    files = 80
    size = 31.6 GB

if i hover the mouse pointer over the source folder, the tooltop shows 33.8 GB, which more closely matches the destination folder properties (tooltip for the destination folder also shows 33.8 GB).

if i look at the folder properties for the source folder under linux (parted magic live disc), the numbers are closer to what the destination shows in windows explorer, size is a couple GB higher under linux vs windows- not sure if linux serves as a good test.

my question, is what i'm seeing for the source folder properties in windows explorer a "misread", or is it possible that there was an issue with the copy process that i'm not seeing? the USB drive contains important data and i want to make sure i have an exact copy on the NAS before i wipe the USB drive to reuse it.

i've done the folder copy using a few other file managers (explorer++, xyplorer) but i get the same results.

thanks for your time!

:)

Matt26, Sep 17, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

copying folders

I believe the xcopy command is still included in Windows 10. You can use it with switches to duplicate a folder structure without copying the folders' contents.

The /t switch copies the folder structure (only) from the source folder to the destination folder without copying the files, but it won't copy empty folders in the source folder. If the source folder includes empty folders you will need to add the /e switch
    as well. So the full syntax would be:

xcopy source target /t /e

From the School of Hard Knocks: Practice with a set of dummy folders first.

Just remember: You need to have adequate permissions in the source and destination folders.

BulldogXX, Sep 17, 2017
  3. Erratic Connections to Other Network Computers After Windows 10 Upgrade

After upgrading to Windows 10, I have been unable to consistently connect to other computers on the network through Explorer. I decided to do a clean install on my main PC. I was able to connect to a computer on the network (also running Windows 10),
    and copied my files over the network to that computer. I saved it to the Public folder that was visible in Explorer. I also verified that the copied folder was the same size and same number of files as the folder on the source PC. I then did a clean install
    of Windows 10. But, same issue, erratic network browsing. To make matters worse, when I went to the destination PC, to drag the files onto am external drive to bring back to the original source PC (with the clean install of Windows 10 - the folder I dragged
    over to the computer via a network explorer session before the clean install - the one I verified contents on, was inexplicable missing. Help! Where are the files I dragged and copied?!

MarkMalahosky, Sep 17, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. It's just the way Windows catalogues the files. It creates some hidden desktop.ini files and such. I wouldn't be concerned about it, however, real important files should be backed up in at least 2 places. Do you have another thumb or DVD you could copy to as well? How about OneDrive or other cloud storage?

Tony K, Sep 17, 2017
  5. Matt26 Win User
    thanks for the response! i don't have another storage device at the moment, and the USB drive has 500 GB of data in total so DVDs and cloud storage probably wouldn't work.

if this is in fact just the way Windows catalogues files as you suggested, why would it only affect some folders but not others? would file types have a bearing on this? the difference in files/folders count and size between source and destination (in my opinion) seems a little too steep to be just hidden ini files etc- the size difference alone is 3 GB..

Matt26, Sep 17, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    @Matt26

Sorry, but this got hidden in my 2nd subscription page and overlooked it.

I'm not that knowledgeable to know how File Explorer works. I searched the TechNet site and the web to no avail. I'm sure it's quite complicated. Each OS has its different version as explained in the article below. Better indexing for querying is probably a factor.

File Explorer - Wikipedia

How are you doing on this?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  7. Matt26 Win User
    i'm getting gradually baffled by this to be honest.. seems like a FAT32 issue based on my readings, more specifically maybe related to large files (like 4+ GB). as a test, i formatted a spare 60GB USB drive as FAT32, then copied one of the problematic source folders to this drive- my theory being that if FAT32 is the issue, the destination folder in this test should show the same "misread" of folder properties as the source (ie, show file, folder and size counts as lower than actual); unfortunately this didn't happen- the FAT32 test drive showed the folder properties accurately, so i'm at a loss.. i wonder if i were to plug the source USB drive into a computer with a FAT32 OS, would that make a difference? i just wish i could find a way to either get windows explorer to show the folder properties correctly, or find a third party alternative that can- i'd use linux, which appears to read the problematic source folders accurately, but linux (ubunutu anyways) doesn't give file and folder count details, just size- and only in GB, doesn't show byte count..

Matt26, Sep 25, 2017
  8. Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer

I think what might be at least part of the issue is you are going from one file system to another. Each file system has a different way that it estimates file and folder size, the way they catalog the files are different as well.

FAT uses a File Allocation Table and NTFS uses the MFT (or Master File Table) to catalog the files. FAT32 has a maximum single file size of 4GB because of the way it works. I agree that is a rather large discrepancy you are seeing. I would try to open and work with some of the files that are in these folders that have this issue to see if they are changed or corrupted in any way. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you have some sort of backup.

EXT3 is a partition type that UNIX and UNIX based OSs use, I dont know much about that one.

ArazelEternal, Sep 25, 2017
  9. PiKo Win User
    For backup and comparison between two folders I use the freeware FreeFileSync. It tells you whether there are differences between the two folders. It works also in a network environment.

PiKo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer - Similar Threads - Folder copy source

2. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items: I am trying to move some folders and files from the source to the destination folder on the same drive.First, I tried dragging-n-dropping, but I found that while the folders and files were copied to the destination folder, they were still in the source folder. Next, I tried...
  3. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items: I am trying to move some folders and files from the source to the destination folder on the same drive.First, I tried dragging-n-dropping, but I found that while the folders and files were copied to the destination folder, they were still in the source folder. Next, I tried...
  4. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer

Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer: Good day to you all.Came not so much for a solution to the question, but for information, what is the behavior of the system, when in Explorer we open the contents of the snapshot and always see a mirror of the actual contents of this or that object. I can't google the...
  6. Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?

Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?: It doesn't appear there is anyway for Robocopy to verify/confirm the copied file matches the source, is that the case? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy-is-there-any-way-to-verify-the-copied/f577d35f-fa2c-4c8d-ab97-93852d8e1bcb
  7. Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?: It doesn't appear there is anyway for Robocopy to verify/confirm the copied file matches the source, is that the case? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy-is-there-any-way-to-verify-the-copied/f577d35f-fa2c-4c8d-ab97-93852d8e1bcb
  8. Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only: Hi there, I have an issue where I'm trying to copy a lifetime of photos from one hard drive to another. The destination drive has duplicate photos that are from the source (from a previous time I did a back-up). The issue is that at some point Dropbox had a sync problem and...
  10. "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive: I don't fully understand what condition is causing this, but here's what I observed: I moved some Excel spreadsheets and txt files to OneDrive so that I can work on them from either of two computers. The spreadsheet has macros that create new files, or maybe I should say...