Windows 10: Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD

Discus and support Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I'm having difficulty deleting files and folders on an SSD in Windows 10. The SSD is used for games, and most of the data is a Steam folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ripping, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ripping Win User

Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD

Hello

I'm having difficulty deleting files and folders on an SSD in Windows 10. The SSD is used for games, and most of the data is a Steam folder. The problem with file removal is worsened as the Steam folder is mostly a modded Skyrim installation, which requires frequent changes to the file system and makes safe booting - which i have used to remove a directory - a real pain. Even managing to delete the files leaves empty folders, which are treated as mods by the mod manager.

I am the only user of the PC. There is only one account - the original admin account. The Windows 10 install is an upgraded Win7 registration, but is a fresh install from a Windows 10 USB stick. Despite this, there is a Windows.old folder on C: containing 1 file, igdkmd64.sys, presumably put there when I installed the onboard graphics to allow a dual display setup.

I have switched the UAC to minimum - to no avail. I have edited the folder properties of the Skyrim folders, and the SSD as a whole, to allow permissions. Admin already had full permissions. I allowed full permissions for Authenticated Users, upon which Win10 spent a minute editing all the files on the drive - to no avail. I allowed full permissions for all users, upon which Win10 spent a minutes editing all the files on the drive - to no avail. I changed the ownership of the SSD from SYSTEM to my user name, both of which had full permissions - to no avail. I used a Take Ownership reg edit I researched on the internet to run a Take Ownership cmd from the right click menu - to no avail. I've tried running a take ownership command supplied in another thread on this forum. The commands were all confirmed happily by the dos session - to no avail.

Every time I try to delete a folder the message "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder" appears; a click of the [Shield]Continue button gives the message "You need permission to perform this action - You require permission from THEPC\MyName to make changes to this folder".

I am that person. That person there, the only one who has ever used the computer, using the only account on it, with full permissions.

:)

ripping, Feb 11, 2017

2. How to remove Unwanted folders on system drive (C)

I recently installed the free Windows 10 Home upgrade on my 250GB SSD system drive (C). The upgraded computer is a Toshiba QosmioX70-A. I've had a number of Windows updates to the O/S since the upgrade. I've noticed that there are a few folders on my
    system drive that I would like to delete. I cannot delete these folders because they each prompt that I need administrative permission. I've checked my permissions and each group (Administrator; Users; ) are at FULL permission. The folders
    in question that I would like to delete are: ($RECYCLE.BIN); ($WINDOWS.~BT); (Windows.old). Can the community suggest how I can rid my SSD system drive of these folders? Thank you.

Neal O'Connor, Feb 11, 2017
  3. sw_78 Win User
    Create a new key in windows 10 registry but cannot delete even if change owner to login user

I accidentally create a new key in windows 10 but cannot delete.

I have tried to change the owners/permissions to match the login user with full permission but still does not work.

I tried to change the parent key folder permission/owner but failed.

Any suggestion will help as win10 can only allow for new creation but not modifying of registry enties.

I even try logging in by activating administrator user and system user but did not help.

really disappointed as it is wired headache if you cannot delete any keys you created.

sw_78, Feb 11, 2017
  4. shimshom Win User

I always find it easier to remove such folders and files using a live Windows/Linux distribution and booting up from a DVD/USB with it enables you to delete what you need. Of course the usual precautions apply such as a restore point or better still a system image taken before attempting to do it

shimshom, Feb 12, 2017
  5. ripping Win User
    Thanks for the response.

That's a good tip for sporadic use, and good practice generally.

It seems to be a permissions issue with the root Steam install. Modifying the permissions through advanced propertioes and icalc both worked but were soon reverted. Running Steam as admin only made it complain. I have removed the Steam install, reinstalled to a folder on a different drive to be kept empty and moved all the installed games to Library folders. Hopefully this will avoid the problem.

Unfortunately in a modded Steam game installation file moves and deletions are required more often than tidying saves which can be and usually are kept elsewhere.

ripping, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD - Similar Threads - Folder deletion impossible

2. Impossible to delete ADATA SSD password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to delete ADATA SSD password: Hi. I ve set password in my adata SSD in BIOS but now it is impossible no delelte password. I ve try everything you find on internet, from format disk, etc etc my laptop is a infinity m7, but still asking for SSD password again and again. Already took Cmos battery and ssd of...
  3. Impossible to delete ADATA SSD password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to delete ADATA SSD password: Hi. I ve set password in my adata SSD in BIOS but now it is impossible no delelte password. I ve try everything you find on internet, from format disk, etc etc my laptop is a infinity m7, but still asking for SSD password again and again. Already took Cmos battery and ssd of...
  4. Win10 Deleted Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Deleted Folders: I have Windows 10 Pro v1909 18363.1802 My SSD boot drive C: has 10GB free of 74. Abruptly last weekend there was like 20 minutes of continuous drive activity. There was no message or alert from Windows. After the drive activity, everything continued fine. HOWEVER, when I...
  5. Folder cant be deleted even after editing permission

Folder cant be deleted even after editing permission: I am trying to delete a folder that contained an application that required me to allow them to monitor almost everything. I have tried to delete it and most of it has been deleted except for the main folder the sub folder which contains a .sys file. I have tried to edit the...
  6. Administrator permission to delete a folder

Administrator permission to delete a folder: Avira autorun blocker needs administrator permission to delete it, How to get this permission ? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-to-delete-a-folder/8d4ff131-fddb-408d-8e98-81fe7b6c3e1f"
  7. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"
  8. Cannot delete an empty folder (No read permission even for admin)

Cannot delete an empty folder (No read permission even for admin): I was cleaning up some files and ran into several empty folders that I can't remove. Says "Folder access denied" When I go into the folder's properties to change permissions, it tells me "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click advance to...
  9. Get permission to delete folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Get permission to delete folders: Way too often, i come across a massage that says you need permission to perform this action if i try to delete a useless folder or a file on my computer. Any way to fix this? 124500
  10. Full win10 install on ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full win10 install on ssd: Hi my actual os: Win 7. Home edition. Installed on hdd i have mounted a 120 g sandisk SSD in my desktop so i would like to install a FULL. (Not a update) win10 on my new ssd i disconnect my win7 hdd ( i want to keep this win 7 hdd) after, can i follow the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 full permissions mod