Windows 10: Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu

Discus and support Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a laptop (Dell E7440 -i5 4300U with onboard graphics, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with fully updated Windows 10 Pro x64 installed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by favasgr, Aug 28, 2016.

1. favasgr Win User

Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu

Hello everyone,

I have a laptop (Dell E7440 -i5 4300U with onboard graphics, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with fully updated Windows 10 Pro x64 installed.

After upgrading (through Windows Update) to 1607, I noticed that almost every time I open the start menu, the folder icons will load after a couple of seconds. Every other app/program icon, will load immediately.
    This was very displeasing to the eye, so I decided to make a clean install of the latest Windows 10, by downloading them through Microsoft official tool. To my surprise, I face the same problem when I open the start menu.

On my Windows 10 desktop, every icon loads instantly, as it should...

Anyone noticed something similar? Is there any possible solution for this?
    It's my first post here, so sorry in advance for any inconvenience!

:)

favasgr, Aug 28, 2016

2. How to add an updated app to the default list?

Ah okay, thanks a ton. Here's how you can put that in your Start menu.

• Right-click the Start button, and choose Run
    • Type shellFolder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu :programs into the box and click OK
    • Drag and drop the icon into that folder window that opens up
    You'll need to log out/in before you see it in the Start menu (it only scans that folder for new icons when you login and it loads the taskbar), but that will get it in there. Then you can also pin it to the Start menu's main page if you want.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 28, 2016
  3. N95 8GB - strange startup

The applications you're seeing are just "background" services that run on the phone automatically and are normally hidden, but you can see them during start-up. The phone loads those up immediately after it starts up, so that's what's going on when the
    standby icons disappear then come back slowly. The icons appear slowly because the phone's loading about a dozen applications at the same time at that point.

sockatume---01, Aug 28, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

brummyfan, Aug 28, 2016
  5. favasgr Win User
    Hi brummyfan and thanks for your reply!

I rebuilt the icon (by using both described methods) cache and I also used the .reg file for the .ico (ICO) option, but unfortunately the issue is still present.

favasgr, Aug 28, 2016
  6. favasgr Win User
    Since the issue has not been resolved and since I found no related problems on the Internet, is there any way to report it directly to Microsoft?

P.S. I have no account e-mail connected to my Windows 10 laptop.

favasgr, Aug 31, 2016
  7. favasgr Win User
    Sorry for reviving the thread, but I recently changed to another laptop with Intel's 6th Gen platform, rest of hardware similar to the one I mention in my first post and Windows 10 1607 pre-installed and fully updated.

The issue is even at this laptop present, but it's weird that I cannot find any other threads on the internet regarding this issue.
    It came as a surprise to me, cause I thought that it had to do something with my previous laptop's hardware (since I could not find similar threads), but the fact that the problem still exists seizes this scenario.

favasgr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Folder icons load

2. Start menu, Task bar Icons all fail to load, when logging in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, Task bar Icons all fail to load, when logging in: Every time I boot and login. The start Menu, and all the taskbar icons fail to load. I have to open the taskbar, run explorer.exe and then restart it. Going in to the event logs I only seem to get the one errror:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version:...
  3. Start menu, Task bar Icons all fail to load, when logging in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu, Task bar Icons all fail to load, when logging in: Every time I boot and login. The start Menu, and all the taskbar icons fail to load. I have to open the taskbar, run explorer.exe and then restart it. Going in to the event logs I only seem to get the one errror:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version:...
  4. New start menu folder icon location.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New start menu folder icon location.: In the recent updates, a new folder icon in the start menu has appeared. I really like it and wish to make the default folder icon in explorer to be that. Where is the file location that contains that icon? I looked in imageres.dll, explorer.exe and shell32.dll. submitted by...
  5. Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu

Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu: [ATTACH] This might sound like a weird one, but essentially the Documents folder on Windows is a mess, so I have my own "Documents" folder created elsewhere, and I'd like to change which folder opens when selecting this option in the Start Menu. Is this possible through...
  6. Open File Location for Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open File Location for Start Menu icons: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  7. Windows 10 icons loading extremely slowly at startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 icons loading extremely slowly at startup: I`m using windows 10 pro with an NVME ssd drive but @ windows bootup desktop icons load very slowly.Pls assist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-icons-loading-extremely-slowly-at/cccc1a1d-e841-4263-b16f-4af381352864
  8. Start Menu, Notification and most windows app won't open. "Loading icon" when interacting

Start Menu, Notification and most windows app won't open. "Loading icon" when interacting: i have had Windows 10 pro for a long time. i have version 1909 with OS build 18363.720. Problems: Startmenu & Notification area won't open Right click on any of the icons in my taskbar doesn't do anything Many Windows apps don't work The "Loading" cursor flashes like crazy...
  9. Start menu weird folder icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu weird folder icons: Hello, Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode. The Windows 10 is always a clean install, and I have seen the issue with both Microsoft and HP drivers. Here's an example on how the...
  10. What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"?

in Windows 10 Support
    What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"?: I know that when folder is optimized to be 'Pictures' (in the Properties>Customize tab) it loads slowly. For example the Download folder would low very slowly if it's not set to be "General items" But why exactly does that happen? Or that's more of a code thing/bug and...