Windows 10: Folder Icons won't show preview of PDF's in those Folders

Discus and support Folder Icons won't show preview of PDF's in those Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I choose to accept the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Instantly regretted it. I've had to take my Desktop to Bestbuy over 10 times already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheBlargh, Nov 17, 2016.

1. TheBlargh Win User

Folder Icons won't show preview of PDF's in those Folders

I choose to accept the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Instantly regretted it. I've had to take my Desktop to Bestbuy over 10 times already to get things to work again.

I still have Windows 10 and most of my settings appear to be optimal but one thing that continually bugs me is that in my This PC > Documents > PDF's > if I create a folder and fill it with PDF files that I bought and downloaded to my Desktop the folder icon itself in the documents folder will not show a preview of a cover page of a PDF in the folder icon itself.

It will only show preview pics of the program I use to open the PDF file in the folder icon. Ironically since I've tried installing multiple PDF viewer softwares to attempt to solve this problem my folders are showing multiple PDF Viewer Softwares as previews inside the folders themselves.

Is there any way to fix this? If so, please let me know.

:)

TheBlargh, Nov 17, 2016

2. Previews of PDF cover pages not showing up in Folder Icons of Windows 10

I upgrades my Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10 using the Free Upgrade offered by Microsoft but the folder icons in my Documents folder refuse to show previews of the cover pages of any PDF's I put into
    them. All the folder icons show are tiny pictures that say Acrobat Reader DC (the software I use to view PDF's). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?

IanChevalier, Nov 17, 2016
  3. Previews of PDF cover pages not showing up in Folder Icons of Windows 10

I upgrades my Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10 using the Free Upgrade offered by Microsoft but the folder icons in my Documents folder refuse to show previews of the cover pages of any PDF's I put into them. All the folder icons show are tiny pictures that
    say Acrobat Reader DC (the software I use to view PDF's). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?

IanChevalier, Nov 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I happen to have just incidentally fixed this as a consequence of discovering why Windows search content indexing wasn't indexing certain documents, including pdf text documents.

Try this:
    Download and 'install' (you can use Nirsoft's Zipinstaller if you wish) Nirsoft's searchfilterview.
    Note the ifilter listed by that for pdf's.
    Now open an admin command prompt and enter a command like this:
    regsvr32 D:\Office\PDF\SumatraPDF\PdfFilter.dll

(That one's for the Sumatra pdf reader- change it for whatever you use).

Now you may have to reindex Windows search before you see the change, or you may not- I don't know.

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Folder Icons won't show preview of PDF's in those Folders - Similar Threads - Folder Icons won't

2. Preview zoom PDF documents in folder does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview zoom PDF documents in folder does not work: Good afternoon all,Following an unfortunate event from a few weeks ago I am in a position to not be able to use the old zoom within the preview side of a folder. I am browsing hundreds of PDF's every day and without that tool my efficiency has dropped a lot.I am suspecting...
  3. Preview zoom PDF documents in folder does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview zoom PDF documents in folder does not work: Good afternoon all,Following an unfortunate event from a few weeks ago I am in a position to not be able to use the old zoom within the preview side of a folder. I am browsing hundreds of PDF's every day and without that tool my efficiency has dropped a lot.I am suspecting...
  4. File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name

in Windows 10 Customization
    File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name: Hi, with my last update 3/10/2022 my file folder won't display any PDF file with the # in the name. How can I fix this as I use that for invoices numbers to label work often....
  5. File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name: Hi, with my last update 3/10/2022 my file folder won't display any PDF file with the # in the name. How can I fix this as I use that for invoices numbers to label work often....
  6. File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  8. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  9. Folder not showing all icons or folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder not showing all icons or folders.: I don't even know how to explain this but when I use another program to open a folder so I can put something from the folder into the program it's not showing all the folders that are in the folder, so it's not showing what I need. here is a screenshot of what my folders...
  10. Unable to change folder icons + folders showing the wrong icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change folder icons + folders showing the wrong icons: Hello! So I just signed up here because I'm desperate and don't know what to do. So basically, I thought the windows 10 default folder icons were pretty bland and ugly so I decided to change them. I read that you could change your default icons by going into to registry...