Windows 10: Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder

Discus and support Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The first clue that I have an issue. After doing a backup, the error log said "Backup encountered a problem while backing up file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by banditrvp, Nov 15, 2017.

1. banditrvp Win User

Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder

The first clue that I have an issue. After doing a backup, the error log said "Backup encountered a problem while backing up file D:\Documents\Pictures. Error*SadSTATUS_WAIT_3 (0x80070003))"The Pictures Library contains a folder pointing to D:\Documents\Pictures, however, there is no "Documents" folder on my D: drive so of course there is no Documents\Pictures folder there. (I do have a Pictures folder at D:\Pictures.) When I try to delete the folder in the library pointing to D:\Documents\Pictures, it says: "An unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error"How can I remove the offending folder from my Pictures Library?

:)

banditrvp, Nov 15, 2017

2. Delete folders in Libraries

I am trying to delete a folders under the library of Videos and Documents. These folders do not exist so I try to delete I get an error message.

Location is not available

So it will not let me delete this folder from the library.

Any ideas how to delete or remove these (ghost folders) that don't exist anymore and are still listed in my library.

Thanks.

oneview0505, Nov 15, 2017
  3. dbbl Win User
    WIN10/WMP - how do I add a library?

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, that does not work. WMP does not allow you to create a library file location. It lists some default locations (I do not know how WMP decides which folders should be default folders). NONE of the default folders
    have my music files in them.

I have therefore moved my files from their original location to a folder location that WMP thinks should be a default folder location. That's solves the problem, but it's ridiculous that a user cannot designate an existing folder to be the music library
    location.

4. Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder

Sounds to me like something in your file system got screwed. Try running through this guide. There may be a corrupt file record in the MFT that is showing something as there when there shouldnt bere.

Checking For System Corruption
    Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder [​IMG]
    Information As with anything like this, check your system for corruption. Corruption of your system can cause a whole host of odd errors and behaviors.

Step One
    Run SFC (System File Checker) Open an admin Command Prompt and type: Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] This should fix any system file corruption if there is any.

Step Two
    Run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool) Using the same Command Prompt type: Code: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth[/quote] This should fix any component store corruption.
    Note If the sfc command fails, run this command then try Step One again. Sometimes this will fix sfc errors.

Step Three
    Run CHKDSK (Disk Checker) Using the same Command Prompt, type Code: chkdsk C: /scan[/quote] This will let you know if there are any errors in the file system itself. If it comes up with errors, type Code: chkdsk C: /F /R[/quote] This command will perform a more thorough check and attempt to fix any errors and recover any data from bad sectors (if any exist.)
    Note Running this command will require you to restart. After restarting this will run. After it does, you will need to use the event viewer to view the log.How To Read CHKDSK Log Using Event Viewer

ArazelEternal, Nov 15, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ron, *Smile

To stop this error message, you would need to remove the "D:\Documents\Pictures" folder from being included in your backup.

Brink, Nov 15, 2017
  6. banditrvp Win User
    Thanks for the replies. Here's my update.

ArazelEternal: I ran SFC, DISM and CHKDSK on both the C & D drives. No problems reported and the folder remains in my Libraries Folder.
    Brink: Yes, I can turn off the Libraries folder in the backup set but that doesn't fix the problem of the non-existent folder remaining in the library. That's the folder I'm trying to remove. The images show what I'm seeing in the folders listing of File Explorer. The first image shows the message that pops up when I first clink on the Pictures folder that's highlighted. The second image is what I see when I right click and choose properties. As you can see in the D: drive listing, there is no Documents folder there.

banditrvp, Nov 15, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 15, 2017
  8. banditrvp Win User

Resetting the library defaults did the trick! Thanks a bunch Shawn.

Ron

banditrvp, Nov 15, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Ron. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder - Similar Threads - Folder library does

2. Duplicate libraries-library folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate libraries-library folders: I did something in Windows 10 v1909 that duplicated several library folders and their contents see below picture. I don't have duplicate folders under "Quick Access". How do I correct? Disregard the THIRD Documents folder. The only correction I could find is here and it...
  3. I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does): I tried to remove that folder using rmdir command in cmd, but it's no use. I haven't found other solutions on the Internet. So what else can I do?...
  4. Library folder grows back after delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Library folder grows back after delete: Some process keeps recreating a "Public Music" folder in it's former location after removal from the library, network shares and deletion from disk. The folder is empty, but it's in a partition where I really don't want Windows inserting things. It will not also not allow...
  5. Libraries folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Libraries folder: Hello, in my Windows 10 pro, I have on the left pane a folder called Libraries. I would like to change the name and possibly change the ugly icon. I know I can hide it. But that wont help because I can not create a custom made folder in the left pane. Is there a way through...
  6. Libraries Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries Folders: I've never paid any attention to the Libraries. Just left them alone to their own thing. This afternoon I decided to open the folder and have a look-see. Am I supposed to have a Documents Folder Nested in another Documents Folder? [IMG] I actually have only one Documents...
  7. How to delete an empty folder from a library?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete an empty folder from a library?: . The attached screenshot shows an empty Downloads folder in a Win XP-type of folder setup. I accidentally moved this empty folder from my C:\Users folder. The folder is empty because my Downloads are actually on the E partition, as you can see from the screenshot. The...
  8. Removing folder from library without deleting it

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Removing folder from library without deleting it: One of my folders appears in 2 libraries. If I delete the folder from the wrong library, it gets actually deleted from both libraries AND ALSO FROM MY "DOCUMENTS" and sent to the bin. How can I remove it from that wrong library but not from my Documents nor from my other...
  9. Library folders multiply

in Windows 10 Support
    Library folders multiply: I've been experiencing a bug that makes Library folders appear multiple times in the navigation pane. It is obviously the same folder that is displayed many times and I can get rid of them if I refresh the navigation pane by hitting the F5 key. I've noticed that it happens...
  10. Library folder create new library not working (not available)

in Windows 10 Support
    Library folder create new library not working (not available): See this: Create New Library in Windows 10 Pictures will help understand my problem. Create new library 3 methods. Only Method 3 works for me. 1) Explorer Library Folder: right-click -> New -> (Empty) --- Library is missing, actual text displayed is (Empty) 2) ... on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. library folder will not delete

2. folder in libraries does not exist

3. delete folders that dont exist