Windows 10: Folder name change does not take

Discus and support Folder name change does not take in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, After using Macs for the past 20 years, I am in the process of switching to PCs. My last Mac was a 2012 Mac-mini, which I liked very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by battlezone, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Folder name change does not take

Hi everyone,

After using Macs for the past 20 years, I am in the process of switching to PCs. My last Mac was a 2012 Mac-mini, which I liked very much. Unfortunately, it recently died due to a logic board problem. The current minis have soldered in RAM, which is something I am not willing to put up with. So I have recently purchased a Lenovo V110-15ISK 80TL laptop to get my feet wet on a PC. It's been going pretty well, I have been able to set up Windows to my liking and I have not run into any major problems figuring things out. However, there are a few things with which I need help and hope I will find that here.

I plan of very soon replacing my mini with a desktop PC, and I will need help so I make the best choice for my needs.

Here is my first question for the Windows 10 Pro experts:

When I set up my Lenovo, I renamed the folder named "Camera Roll" to "pc" (a folder for screenshots related to PC questions).

When I wanted to "save as" an image in GIMP, the folder that I had renamed "pc" showed its old name "Camera Roll." When I use File Explorer, the folder is named "pc." Is GIMP for some reason remembering the old folder name. What is the solution?

:)

battlezone, Dec 29, 2017

2. Having a security error

RMB on the folder and click on Properties. Select the Security tab and click on Advanced. This will display the current owner in a window. If it does not show you as the owner click on Change. Enter your name in the box and click on Check Names, and then
    Ok. A reboot may be required for the change to take effect.

This should work for user data folders, but may not for system protected folders of folders belonging to another account.

Report back with your progress and the type of folder(s) involved.

Chris.E.Chambers, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Problems saving items to my hard-drive with Windows 10 (X Series)

1-Since the HD is from a previous OS you need to take ownership of the drive

Windows 8: Take Ownership Of Files & Change Folder Permissions

2-There is a limit of 260 characters in path names. If you count all the characters and spaces how many does the destination folder contain?

Please take a screenshot of the explorer window when pointing to that folder and upload it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 29, 2017
  4. Folder name change does not take

Maybe this helps clarify:

File Explorer:

Folder name change does not take [​IMG]

File browser in GIMP:

Folder name change does not take [​IMG]

battlezone, Dec 29, 2017
  5. Try reinstalling the program your using pal *Smile

Is wierd tho to be honest

kingtez1984, Dec 29, 2017
  6. BobSter2 Win User
    Hi

I have just developed a similar problem.
    Can't (fully) change foldernames - Windows 10 Forums

Not sure if it's identical (I am also using a Lenovo). You might want to check the Properties > Security tab and see whether the Object name (first line after the tabs) contains the old or new name. Mine has the old name and I have a feeling that this is the cause of the problem. It might be helpful if you could check yours and post back.....

BobSter2, Dec 29, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Camera Roll and Saved Pictures are default folders created by Windows in the Pictures folder. These cannot be renamed, deleted or moved. If you do they will be recreated on next boot, or will retain the Root name if you try to rename it.
    Both of these files are associated with Microsoft One Drive Cloud service to sync photos from your camera or phone that are saved or backed up in One Drive with these folders. Camera Roll with the Camera App, and Saved Pictures with the Photo App.
    I would reset this folder back to Default name, and create a new folder called PC. If it bothers you to see these folders, then Right click them, choose Properties and put a check box in Hidden.

spunk, Dec 29, 2017
  8. Folder name change does not take

Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering if the default folders could be renamed. Since I could right-click and type a new name in, I presumed it was okay to do. I did not know about the root name. So thank you very much for illuminating me!

I renamed the "pc" folder to "Camera Roll" and rebooted, but then GIMP could not find the folder named "Camera Roll." So I uninstalled Gimp and installed again. Now Gimp finds "Camera Roll." And I created a new folder named "pc." I hope I did this correctly.

There is one more concern: On another pc, also Windows 10, I deleted the "Saved Pictures" folder altogether. There was no indication I should not do so. I would like to get that folder back. A restart did not do it. How can I get it back?

battlezone, Dec 29, 2017
  9. jpwhre Win User
    There is 2 locations.
    C:\Users\your user name\pictures
    C:\Users\your user name\SkyDrive\pictures

Which ever one it was in, go back to it, right click in blank area, hover over "new" (at bottom of drop-down) and another drop-down will appear. Select folder. It will pop up highlighted ready for you to name it.

jpwhre, Dec 30, 2017
  10. It's the one in C:\Users\your user name\pictures

Yup, already created a new folder and it seems to work fine.

Thanks!

battlezone, Dec 30, 2017
  11. spunk Win User
    Great, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Folder name change does not take

1. Folder name change does not take - Similar Threads - Folder name change

2. User Name and Folder Does Not Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Name and Folder Does Not Change: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  3. User Name and Folder Does Not Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name and Folder Does Not Change: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  4. Change the name of account and folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  5. [HELP]How to change name of users folder if its taking name from Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    [HELP]How to change name of users folder if its taking name from Microsoft account?: So I only have one user created in my PC which is an admin user. Now the issue is it is taking the name from my Microsoft account.. which is creating a problem as the name it is taking has space in it that is, First name Last name. How do I rename my user's account? Since...
  6. Changing User folder name ??

Changing User folder name ??: I recently clean installed Win 10 and i came to found out that the name of the user folder is first 5 letters of my email address. I wanted to know if there is a simple solution to this. I also tried renaming and changing path in regedit using Administrator account but it was...
  7. Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?: I recently decided to move my own documents out of the folder called Documents which I think of as "My Documents" and I created a separate folder I called MyDocs which is under Documents. I did this because many tools are now adding their own folders to Documents and it is...
  8. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  9. change a user name folder

change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...