Windows 10: folder on desktop cannot be deleted

Discus and support folder on desktop cannot be deleted in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On my desktop there is a folder, I want to delete. I am able to rename that folder (for instance Away), but I am not able to delete it since the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PiKo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. PiKo Win User

folder on desktop cannot be deleted

On my desktop there is a folder, I want to delete. I am able to rename that folder (for instance Away), but I am not able to delete it since the folder contains another folder, named shellext.
    Everything I try to do (administrator account) with the shellext folder results into a message:
    Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\name PC\Desktop\\Away
    Any idea what is the issue and how to delete?

Thanks in advance

:)

PiKo, Nov 6, 2017
  2. Erdeslawe Win User
    Erdeslawe, Nov 6, 2017
  3. biriger Win User
    Folder encrypted on Win7 cannot be decrypted after upgrade to Win10 and factory reset?

Thank you, but the page you sent only applies if you have the certificate saved before (and you know the password :/ )

biriger, Nov 6, 2017
  4. folder on desktop cannot be deleted

Try using LockHunter or similar software. The folder might be in use by a background process.

Stargate38, Nov 6, 2017
  5. PiKo Win User
    I burned a Linux iso on a DVD and booted from this DVD. Then, I could easily delete the folder.

PiKo, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Sure, that'll work. But it would have been easier to install LockHunter.
    With that, you right click on the folder and choose "What is locking this file?" ... and it tells you.
    If a program has the folder locked, just close or kill that program ... and you can then delete the folder.
    (No need to shutdown, boot Linux, delete folder, shutdown, reboot Windows.)

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

folder on desktop cannot be deleted

1. folder on desktop cannot be deleted - Similar Threads - folder desktop cannot

2. Cannot Delete a folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Delete a folder: [ATTACH] New drive is created automatically [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-a-folder/5aacf868-efc9-473e-bea1-7a5b0fd9c9c7
  3. Deleting Folders in Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Folders in Desktop: Hello everyone! I create this post to ask if someone can help me to delete these Folders in my Desktop category. I've tried to right-click on these Folders to find the way to delete them. But it doesn't seem to have a option to delete. Does anyone have a solution to help me?...
  4. Cannot delete this folder on desktop !

Cannot delete this folder on desktop !: Hello, This a folder in my computer desktop, I have used this folder for some paper writings and all but after completing my tasks I wanted to delete this folder from my desktop but it is not deleting by any means at all. I have tried various methods to solve this problem...
  5. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I am the administrator and I cannot delete a folder. When I try to Change Ownership from SYSTEM [ATTACH] the window modal blinks and then Change is greyed out. [ATTACH] I've tried deleting from command prompt as well, but I get Access Denied....
  6. cannot delete a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot delete a desktop folder: i have a folder sitting on my desktop for a long time and I simply cannot delete it every time i try to delete it i get a message Item not found cannot find item Try again or cancel I have just rebuilt the laptop and its still there Winver 1803 145590
  7. cannot delete folder

cannot delete folder: At my desktop, I create a folder but when I am going to delete the folder it shows an error message -"could not find this item". How can I solve this issue? Though I find an article on a website it does not fic my problem....
  8. deleted desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    deleted desktop folder: deleted desktop folder and this error comes please help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-desktop-folder/dd9aa2cc-8b6d-4d8e-b181-5934ced03c24
  9. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I have seen a few posts about how to delete a file or folder when 'Item Not Found' and 'Could not find this item' dialogue appears, but the thread is locked. I have tried to follow the answer given, re command prompt, but could not make it work. I am not a skilled user in...
  10. Cannot Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Delete a Folder: When I try to delete the remaining folder after uninstalling a software in Program Files I get a message: "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder", although I'm the administrator. Please help me to fix this problem. 43032