Windows 10: Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back

Discus and support Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What's wrong with this PC when using Windows 10? This is happens when I'm fresh boot like Shut Down & turn on again/restart the PC. Documents,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Retsuya, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Retsuya Win User

Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back

What's wrong with this PC when using Windows 10?
    This is happens when I'm fresh boot like Shut Down & turn on again/restart the PC.
    Documents, Picture, Music, & all of them! They keep revert back to without my name & access it to Full Control!
    This is annoying! I can't save my work, i can't open my VMWare, at least until I'm check the permission on C:\Users\(My name) & add my name 2 Full Control it. This step need 2 be repeated everytime i restart/turn on my laptop.
    But this won't happen on my big PC & my parents PC which both PC also running Windows 10 Pro same like my laptop...
    Saying 2 change the directory to another drive wouldn't be easy since this is "LAPTOP" & I only have 1 HDD & no other partition except C: only...
    Need help because i'm tired with this laptop & confuse Y this is only happen on my beloved laptop but on my PC it just normal & no need 2 do that complicated things just like this laptop start 2 make me stress...

:)

Retsuya, Aug 2, 2015

2. Unable to save JPG Files to Word 2016 Documents.

When I say Documents, I mean Document & picture Folders.

I am using a HP Officejet 6700 Premium Printer for scanning. When I have scanned a document I try to save it in the documents folder but it will only go into the Picture folder.

The error message that I get when I try to save a document in the documents Folder is " You do not have permission to save in this location ( Documents Folder ) Contact the Administrator to obtain permission.

MichaelStocker, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Some folders' security permissions are set to read-only after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) to Windows 10 Pro. The problem I now have is that Widows 10 has set some of my user folders to Full control, and others to Read only. It is only the HomeUsers group that has this problem. When I go into
    the Properties > Security tab for these folders, I see this:

Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back [​IMG]

My account IS an Administrator account, but when the "HomeUsers" group is listed in the "Group or User names" box of certain folders, the permissions are set Read only. I can change them to Full control, but the change is not permanent. These folder permissions revert
    back to Read only every time I reboot.

The folders affected by this seem to be random. Several of my C:\Users\username\ folders are set to read-only, including Documents, Pictures, Music, & Videos. Two of my OneDrive folders (Documents & Pictures) are also set to Read only.

The results of this Read only setting for HomeUsers are:

-OneDrive cannot sync the folders where HomeUsers does not have Full control.

-Programs such as Word and Scrivener cannot save files in folders where HomeUsers does not have Full control. Access is denied unless I run that program as Administrator.

-When I try to drag and drop a file into a folder where HomeUsers does not have Full control, I am prompted to provide administrator permission before the file will move.

Things I have tried:

-Manually resetting the permissions to Full control = works until system restart.

-Taking ownership of the folders in question = no effect.

-Logging in to my Administrator account to change the folder permissions to Full control for the HomeUsers group = permissions still revert upon system restart.

I have spent many hours over the last several days on chat and the phone with Microsoft Answers technicians, but they have not been able to provide a fix.

The issue is not limited to my computer. I upgraded my wife's computer from Windows 7 Home (64-bit) to Windows 10, and she has the exact same issue with folder permissions for the HomeUsers group. I can manually set them to Full control for her, but they
    revert to Read only when the system restarts.

Is there a way to stop the folder permissions from reverting to Read only with every system restart? This would probably fix the issue. But, since I don't know why this revert is happening, I have no idea how to stop it.

Thanks for your help with this.

ChristopherMillay, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Snackman Win User

Did you do an Upgrade? Try making a New Account and transfer your stuff. Don't forget to change the user type to Administrator.

Snackman, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Retsuya Win User
    Noted as 1 of other solution if no more better solution other than 2 start over my account... Yes, i did an update from Windows 8.1 Pro & import data when upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro...

Retsuya, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Retsuya Win User
    Seems it solved. Following Snackman's solution... But the little risk using that solution: I must start over all the settings. Fortunately my Documents, Music, Picture, & Video now back 2 normal & doesn't need 2 do that annoying permission again even i've restarted this laptop 5x which 1 of them restart to safe mode for deleting my old user folder for very clean...
    Now i just need more time 2 download back all the apps even 90% are still in here...

Retsuya, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back - Similar Threads - Folder Documents Picture

2. Microsoft background picture keeps reverting back to a picture of the 'earth'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft background picture keeps reverting back to a picture of the 'earth': HI, my Microsoft background keeps reverting back to a picture of the Earth - I have no idea where it's come from and I also can't find it on the system to delete it! It's not saving my new themes - i've deleted all the other themes, but can't find this one anywhere!!...
  3. Microsoft background picture keeps reverting back to a picture of the 'earth'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft background picture keeps reverting back to a picture of the 'earth': HI, my Microsoft background keeps reverting back to a picture of the Earth - I have no idea where it's come from and I also can't find it on the system to delete it! It's not saving my new themes - i've deleted all the other themes, but can't find this one anywhere!!...
  4. Microsoft background picture keeps reverting back to a picture of the 'earth'

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?: Just took ownership of WindowsApps folder by registry hack "Take Ownership" in right click menu and after exploring I want to revert the permission back to TrustedInstaller but I have no idea how....
  6. How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?: Just took ownership of WindowsApps folder by registry hack "Take Ownership" in right click menu and after exploring I want to revert the permission back to TrustedInstaller but I have no idea how....
  7. documents and picture folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    documents and picture folders: Large Double Blue arrows are showing up on my documents and picture folders and I want them gone. I cant even hardly see whats under the arrows. Anyone know how to do that?...
  8. Folders corrupted/unreadable & permissions reverting back to read-only on folders (but not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders corrupted/unreadable & permissions reverting back to read-only on folders (but not...: Hi, so I've got this pesky issue. I use a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME SSD in an external enclosure on my main workstation and have it network shared to access the files on my laptop when needed. 2 days ago I had to visit a client for a business meeting and all my web projects...
  9. Revert SystemData folder permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Revert SystemData folder permissions: Can someone please help me revert the SystemData folder permissions to default ones? C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData I took ownership of the folder and removed certain principals afterwards because I was not sure they were there by default. While removing them...
  10. Revert Permissions to all folders quickly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Revert Permissions to all folders quickly?: Windows 10 seems to have changed the permissions settings to all my files and folders - and I have lot of them (documents, photos, music etc). I must have at least 30 000 images stored as I'm a pro photographer and thousands of documents. I currently can't save or change...