Windows 10: Folder operations causing explorer to hang

Discus and support Folder operations causing explorer to hang in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In the last week, for one user only, folder operations, ie, create a folder, rename, or delete, take up to 30 seconds to complete. It is the same for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by IsaacFL, Feb 14, 2016.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Folder operations causing explorer to hang

In the last week, for one user only, folder operations, ie, create a folder, rename, or delete, take up to 30 seconds to complete. It is the same for all disk drives. I don't see anything in the event logs, but Reliability Monitor Report shows that Explorer stopped responding with the following:

Description
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10586.104 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 1c64
    Start Time: 01d166d3e536a045
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: b3f80e6d-d2c7-11e5-9c3d-30b5c2033b34
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

It is only one user account affected. Two other accounts don't seem to have the same issue.

It started after the Patch Tuesday. I did remove Office 2013 and install Office 2016 prior to Patch Tuesday, but issue didn't start till after Patch Tuesday.

:)

IsaacFL, Feb 14, 2016
  2. Revelight Win User

Drag operations cause Windows Explorer to hang for 4-8 seconds, to uselessly wake up devices

1. This is a long standing issue, common for workstation users using many external storage devices.

Many clients complain about this and I finally got to writing it here.

2. Description:

2.1 While the user commits a drag operation

2.2 Hovering or even passing over (zero latency) links (shortcuts) to external or sleeping devices (or folders in them)

2.3 Causes system to hang for 4-8 seconds, waking up those device with no need.

3.4 Related to both explorer shortcuts (including those on desktop), and the nav tree items on the left panel in Windows Explorer

3. This behavior should be changed:

3.1 Include a latency before calling device wakeup

3.2 Consider a small icon overlay or desktop notification "waking up device" and counter/progress bar

4. Most users won't understand what's happening, most of the time this choice is completely negative and has no benefits, aggressively cuts user operational flow and is a major, long standing defect in the UX in all windows versions.

5. MS, time to fix it!

Major, long standing, high impact UX flaw.

And so easy to fix, prob one line of code for some sensible latency.

Revelight, Feb 14, 2016
  3. 1AlM Win User
    Application freeze when I try to create a new folder (win 10)

I've also recently developed this problem out of the blue, no major system changes.

Same symptoms, when creating a folder through an Explorer Window, Windows hangs for several minutes before creating the folder.

Be good if Microsoft could post a solution or at least a patch to fix Explorer whilst they look into it's cause.

4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you could try investigating with Sysinternals Procmon (requires technical ability).

You can also try eliminating things that might be interacting-
    - clean boot
    - Shellexview (free) - hide MS extensions, disable all others
    then
    - Safe Mode

If no change, nothing obvious perhaps your user account is corrupt in some way.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    ?Anti-virus/anti-malware real time shield settings may be a little too assertive and/or invasive?

RolandJS, Feb 16, 2016
  6. IsaacFL Win User
    I never could fix it.

In the end, I backed up the users data, deleted the account, and then created a new account and copied the data back.

IsaacFL, Feb 16, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Fair enough.. some find recreating a user account difficult.. good it was an easier case.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder operations causing explorer to hang - Similar Threads - Folder operations causing

2. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  3. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  4. Bluetooth mouse causes windows explorer to hang

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth mouse causes windows explorer to hang: Hi,i just noticed this today when i turned off my bluetooth mouse logitech M720 and connected a usb mouse the issue of the explorer hanging disappears. I have done several reinstalls already of windows and it seems the issue still persists. I saw an article that mentions to...
  5. Bluetooth mouse causes windows explorer to hang

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth mouse causes windows explorer to hang: Hi,i just noticed this today when i turned off my bluetooth mouse logitech M720 and connected a usb mouse the issue of the explorer hanging disappears. I have done several reinstalls already of windows and it seems the issue still persists. I saw an article that mentions to...
  6. Bluetooth mouse causes windows explorer to hang

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. File explorer hangs when I select a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when I select a folder: submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/
  8. Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu: About a week ago after i updated windows 10 for the first time in a while i've noticed that occasionally when i right click pictures, documents, etc. in windows explorer to open the context menu, explorer will freeze and ill have the blue spinny loading cursor for like 30...
  9. Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder: Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder. If I start Windows (10) in safe mode then it will open the Onedrive folder fine, but fails to open the file successfully, the associated app will open but fail to load the file. I have done all of the basics such as sfc, dism and...
  10. Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang: I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right clicking on an internet shortcut (.URL) in file explorer or on desktop causes explorer to hang and occasionally crash. Occasionally,...