Windows 10: Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

Discus and support Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had an empty folder I thought I'd use instead of creating a new one so I renamed it. Worked fine-until I tried referring to it in an HTML file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pchelp, Jul 8, 2018.

1. pchelp Win User

Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

I had an empty folder I thought I'd use instead of creating a new one so I renamed it. Worked fine-until I tried referring to it in an HTML file. Surprise-it kept the original name in Sharing & Security Properties. And, BTW, it wasn't shared-this was simply an internal reference I was testing.

BTW, I solved the current problem by creating a new folder & moving the files to it. But I *would* like to know why renaming the folder didn't change the name throughout Properties. I've got an idea that it relates to the Read-Only property which is partially set-and I don't seem to be able to change that. It 'applies' without error but when I close & reopen the Properties window I find that it's back on again. Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Jul 8, 2018
  2. Dennis Mop Win User

Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, Jul 8, 2018
  3. ThofikhAhamad Win User
    files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Dennis Mop Win User

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties - Similar Threads - Folder renames except

2. Rename folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename folder: Hi It's not possible Rename. When you change the name, all five folders change to the same. Best regards, Peter[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/rename-folder/5ae40fa8-392b-4a94-ace7-fc1d5aa6c2ab
  3. Rename user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename user folder?: Hello, it's not much of an issue just a personal preference, however how would I go about to changing my user folder name? Thanks. 34760
  4. Rename user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699
  5. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...
  6. Can't rename or move folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename or move folders: Hello, After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the specified file". I have done sfc /scannow but it didn't help. Also, I have run default file associations registry files...
  7. Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070: Hello, I am Brandon. I have a lot of videos on my drive. Most of them are either .avi or .mp4 They are located on 2 TB+ external hard drives formatted as NTFS Each drive has at least 50+ GB left. I am trying to rename certain file properties so that the name of...
  8. Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties: Hello, On my pc I have many music files, located in different folders. When I open a new folder and populate it with audio files, immediately in the upper bar are descriptions as on attached screenshot. Even when I change the folder's properties from "music" to "General",...
  9. NAS Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    NAS Folder Properties: I have 2 NAS devices connected on my LAN. the view on the contents of the folders on the NAS is set to "Details". But almost every time after a shutdown (computer and NAS) the view changes to "Large Icons". This doesn't happen with my C drive and connected SATA drive. Why...
  10. Library folders missing and renamed

in Windows 10 Support
    Library folders missing and renamed: Recently received a new PC. I had an HP that I've been nursing for 8 years. When I moved the hp to an ssd I moved the Library locations off of the ssd to an internal Hdd Have done this on numerous PC's One my new PC I did the same thing by creating a directory on D :...