Windows 10: Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

Discus and support Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had an empty folder I thought I'd use instead of creating a new one so I renamed it. Worked fine-until I tried referring to it in an HTML file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pchelp, Jul 8, 2018.

1. pchelp Win User

Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

I had an empty folder I thought I'd use instead of creating a new one so I renamed it. Worked fine-until I tried referring to it in an HTML file. Surprise-it kept the original name in Sharing & Security Properties. And, BTW, it wasn't shared-this was simply an internal reference I was testing.

BTW, I solved the current problem by creating a new folder & moving the files to it. But I *would* like to know why renaming the folder didn't change the name throughout Properties. I've got an idea that it relates to the Read-Only property which is partially set-and I don't seem to be able to change that. It 'applies' without error but when I close & reopen the Properties window I find that it's back on again. Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Jul 8, 2018

2. Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, Jul 8, 2018
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

1. Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties - Similar Threads - Folder renames except

2. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  3. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  4. Filer explorer - rename file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filer explorer - rename file properties: Hi there, We, my office and I, wish to rename the properties available in Windows File Explorer. How can we do this? And will the changes be visible ie. MacOS?Attaching a screenshot where the rows mentioned are highlighted.Thanks,B...
  5. Folder Properties

Folder Properties: I'm unable to change the properties on any of my folders within Windows 10. As an example I have hundreds of music folders so I'd like to optimise them for Music, but can't change them from the 'General' default. This must have been triggered by an update at some point as I...
  6. Folder renamed itself and doesn't have "rename" option

Folder renamed itself and doesn't have "rename" option: I designated my desktop to receive all downloads. Explorer decided to change the name of the Desktop folder to "Downloads". Now I have two, and there's no menu option for a name change. My AVG Tune-up program now wants to delete my "Downloads" content as "Unnecessary"....
  7. Renaming Folders From Windows File Explorer Search: Doesn't Rename Folders Correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming Folders From Windows File Explorer Search: Doesn't Rename Folders Correctly: [ATTACH] I'm not sure how long this bug has been there, however renaming folders from Windows File Explorer search messes up the folder names. The folder ends up with two folder names: 1) The new folder name, which appears in the Windows File Explorer UI 2) The old...
  8. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  9. renaming folders

renaming folders: I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the...
  10. Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties: Hello, On my pc I have many music files, located in different folders. When I open a new folder and populate it with audio files, immediately in the upper bar are descriptions as on attached screenshot. Even when I change the folder's properties from "music" to "General",...