Windows 10: Folder(s) Not Showing On Desktop ?

Discus and support Folder(s) Not Showing On Desktop ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have one or two Folders that I just cannot seem to get to appear on my Desktop. They show in the Files listing just fine, the way they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert11, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Robert11 Win User

Folder(s) Not Showing On Desktop ?

Hello,

I have one or two Folders that I just cannot seem to get to appear
    on my Desktop.

They show in the Files listing just fine, the way they should.
    Nothing that I can think of is anything special about them.

Also, in their Path, the last item is \Desktop.

If I create a shortcut, and put the shortcut on the Desktop, clicking on it works just fine.

So, I imagine that they certainly should ?

Any thoughts as to "why," and what I can do to make them show up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Jan 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 creatinf Desktop.ini files since last update

If the desktop.ini file shows up on the desktop, it means the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is unchecked in Folder Options Control Panel, or the Desktop.ini file(s) lost the "S" (System) attribute.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Why does My Win 10 have three Desktop folders?

>> where can I go to view this Desktop namespace?

>> Show all Folders, One Desktop folder was eliminated:

The eliminated Desktop is the Desktop namespace, the remaining two "Desktop" s are just shortcuts to the userprofile's Desktop "folder". The two "desktop" links (1 and 3 in my
    earlier screenshot), simply point to the following folder:

C:\Users\{your username}\Desktop

>> Quick Access is also a separate folder from This PC

Quick Access is not a file system folder. It's only a virtual item, containing
    links to your folders. Quick Access replaces "Favorites" (not to be confused with IE favorites) which existed in the navigation pane in Windows 7 and 8.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, can you quote the exact path to the files?
    Conversely, what happens if you create a folder on the desktop, then move that to the folder? Do they then appear on the desktop display?
    Can you see other files or folders you see on the desktop in that folder?

You could try setting 'auto arrange' on your desktop. (Rt click desktop, View, select Auto arrange)

dalchina, Jan 5, 2016
  5. Robert11 Win User
    Hi,
    Thanks, as always, for help.

Auto Arrange doesn't help.
    All other Folders on Desktop look normal.
    Here's the Path to the one that won't show on the Desktop:

Folder(s) Not Showing On Desktop ? [​IMG]

As I mentioned, a Shortcut to the Folder placed on the Desktop works fine.

Best regards,
    Bob

Robert11, Jan 6, 2016
  6. Robert11 Win User
    Hi again,

Oops, the Path didn't copy over.

Here it is:

Bob Rose>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>FileHistory>Data>2>C>
    Users>rgsro>Desktop

Bob

Robert11, Jan 6, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Must have something to do with this being in File History which a built-in backup method for Win 10.Copy the folder itself to the Desktop, does that work?

Ztruker, Jan 6, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

That makes it clear.. the path isn't to your desktop folder.
    That is
    C:\Users\<from your userid>\Desktop
    or
    %userprofile%\desktop

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder(s) Not Showing On Desktop ? - Similar Threads - Folder Showing Desktop

2. My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder: My desktop does not display the documents & files in the desktop folder. This happened after a factory reset.Operating system is Windows 11. Computer is a Lenovo IdesPad 3. Syncs with OneDrive * Moved from Community Center...
  3. My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder: My desktop does not display the documents & files in the desktop folder. This happened after a factory reset.Operating system is Windows 11. Computer is a Lenovo IdesPad 3. Syncs with OneDrive * Moved from Community Center...
  4. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...: Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in File Explorer. This may have started after I reverted back to windows 10 from Windows 11. Let me be clear: most icons do show on the desktop, and the ones that don't show up in one...
  5. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...: Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in File Explorer. This may have started after I reverted back to windows 10 from Windows 11. Let me be clear: most icons do show on the desktop, and the ones that don't show up in one...
  6. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Deleted folder still showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder still showing on desktop: I seem to have this problem frequently. I delete a folder from my desktop, and it vanishes as expected. Then, some time later perhaps after the computer has been locked or gone to sleep I find the same folder or folders back on the desktop. Attempting to delete the folder...
  8. Folders showing double on desktop

Folders showing double on desktop: On windows 10- My desktop has exact duplicates of file folders, but with periods at the end of their names. When I delete any of them, it deletes the original, and the "fake" one stays, But I can't open it. I tried hiding them but it won't let me rename any of the name...
  9. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

desktop is showing contents of a different folder: On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that...
  10. Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive

Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive: Hello, As the subject line describes the folders on my desktop do not appear in the "desktop" folder under my user folder in the c: drive. This is affecting my ability to back up properly through file history. Does anyone know why this might be occurring? To explain it...