Windows 10: Folder share issue involving network path

Discus and support Folder share issue involving network path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; You're welcome. I had one last thought about HomeGroup but figured you would have mentioned that by now. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Access Denied, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Folder share issue involving network path

You're welcome.

I had one last thought about HomeGroup but figured you would have mentioned that by now.

Access Denied, Apr 5, 2018
  2. crisps Win User

I'm unable to share folders on a laptop. From the laptop in question I can see and access shared folders on other machines on WiFi at home. But when on those other machines I can only see the laptop. I can't access it at all. Just get the common message after diagnosing the error that the remote device is available but not responding to connection attempts.

I've searched for hours and tried several things that have apparently helped others, but nothing is working for me.
    SMB1.0 is enabled.
    File and Printer Sharing is turned on.

When I try to share a folder from this laptop I get an error that simply says "The folder can't be shared".

One thing I've discovered is that the network path looks strange.
    For example, I right-click on the Documents folder and the properties say it's at
    C:\Users\My username
    That's fine. But when I click on the "Sharing" tab it takes ages to get there (about 10 seconds), and the Network Path is:
    \\LAPTOP-name\Documents
    There's no mention of users or username in the path. Every other computer I have can open the Sharing tab immediately, and gives the Network Path name as something like \\ComputerName\Users\My username\Documents

I expect this is why I can't share the folder. The sharing settings can't locate it properly. But how can I manually set that network path to match the true location of the Documents folder?

I have a vague memory of setting up a user account when I first got this PC and then deleting that account. This problem may well be related to that in some way?

:)

crisps, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Incorrect Network Path

The Network Path for one of my folders is incorrect, I don't know where it came from. Anyway I discovered that a computer on my home group was accessing files via an incorrect network path. I fixed it but I want to change the path in the folder properties,
    under the Sharing tab. Any ideas?

MB

MarciaHowell, Apr 12, 2018
  4. Folder share issue involving network path

Cannot open networked files in Windows 10

Hi,

Access the shared files. Locate the folder containing the files sought and double-click the folder to view the shared files. If the proper permissions have been assigned to the user account, access to the files will be granted. If the user
    account being used is not authorized to view the files sought, permission to access the files will be denied.

• Contact the network administrator in order to resolve issues involving access to files stored on the network

Hope this helps.

Joy Kemprai, Apr 12, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. If you are trying to share a users folder that is a problem as even if your on the PC as admin by default you can't access another users documents folder etc. Create a folder away from the users path and share that when you share a folder you set permissions on the share but the NTFS permissions then kick in and if they are set to deny you won't get in as with any users folder

Samuria, Apr 12, 2018
  6. crisps Win User
    I've now created a folder directly on the laptop's C drive and named it 'Share'.
    I've shared this folder and at least the laptop doesn't throw an error for that. But I still can't access this laptop from any of the other computers (I've got 2 desktops and 3 laptops currently on the home network - all running Win 10). There's absolutely no problem sharing any user folders between any of the others; it's just this one laptop.

When I right-click on this new 'Share' folder the same long delay occurs when trying to access the Properties > Sharing tab... and the network location is: \\LAPTOPName\Share
    The Properties > General tab has its location as C:\

crisps, Apr 13, 2018
  7. Access Denied, Apr 13, 2018
  8. crisps Win User

Folder share issue involving network path

Password sharing is already off. I've also tried adding a rule to the firewall specifically allowing port 445 (this was a suggestion I found on some other site during the various searches I've tried)
    I've also tried running DSIM.exe and then sfc. Apparently no corrupt files anywhere.

crisps, Apr 13, 2018
  9. If your folder is set like I showed in the pics in the other thread, it should work. I did that on a 2nd PC that was a clean install to share a folder. It works. Is your network (Private) setup like this?

Folder share issue involving network path [​IMG]

Access Denied, Apr 13, 2018
  10. crisps Win User
    Yes, mine is identical to that.
    If I expand the All Networks section at the bottom then I have Turn off public folder sharing, use 128 bit encryption, ant turn off password protected sharing.

You don't think it's anything to do with the strange network location in the properties? It's the only thing I can think of that's out of the ordinary.

crisps, Apr 13, 2018
  11. The location should be like that:

PCNAME\SHARE for any share any where on the PC.

Are you using any other firewall than Windows Firewall?

12. crisps Win User
    It's just that the properties > general tab has the location looking the same on each computer
    C:\Users\MyUsername
    But the properties > sharing tab has the network location different from all the other computers I have
    On this one it's
    \\LAPTOPName\Documents

while all the others have that properties > sharing - network location as
    \\LAPTOPName\Users\MyUsername\Documents

It's the only thing I can spot that's different from all the others.

I'm not using any other firewall. I've considered turning Windows firewall off completely to see if that's the issue, but haven't tried that yet.

crisps, Apr 13, 2018
  13. Folder share issue involving network path

I see the same on my shared folders on my PC. Couple others from the one I posted as a pic. It shows PCNAME\shared name for the Network Path.

Under the properties, sharing tab, at the bottom does it say People without a user account and password for this computer can access folders shared with everyone?

14. crisps Win User
    Yes, I see this:

Folder share issue involving network path [​IMG]

crisps, Apr 13, 2018
  15. Just to confirm, that is not the Documents folder under USER\USERNAME right?

Thema:

Folder share issue involving network path

1. Folder share issue involving network path - Similar Threads - Folder share issue

2. Network Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  3. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  4. Network Shared Folder

Network Shared Folder: I set permissions for a user to a network shared folder, and then mapped the network folder on her laptop. At first everything seems fine, but then one of the subfolders disappear, and later reappears. This has been going on intermittently since. Any ideas why this is...
  5. Network Share Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Share Issues: Hi, I've 2 PC's, called Desktop and Server from here on a home network. Desktop is an old homebuilt PC that started on Windows 7 and upgrade. It has a local account and an outlook account on it. However, everything is setup on the local account so that's my main account....
  6. Network Sharing Issues

Network Sharing Issues: Hi All Recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10. Attempting to share files mainly on the VLC app on an amazon firestick. Devices can see my laptop but are unable to log in. Im not being prompted for a password. Once i select the pc and navigate to it it just sits on a...
  7. Default Folders Sharing Path

Default Folders Sharing Path: Hello everyone! I was trying to set up a brand new laptop to store the default folders (Pictures, Videos and Music) in the D: drive instead of the C: drive as it is larger. Unfortunately, I must have set the folders on the same path, and now I can't separate them. Now, they...
  8. Windows Flie Sharing Issues, "The network path was not found"

Windows Flie Sharing Issues, "The network path was not found": I am about to pull my hair out, been trying to network 2 computers for most the day and still am not having any luck... Here is what I have done, and with the new SMB change im not even sure what is and isnt needed.. I have on both computers, opened sharing to public,...
  9. local network sharing folders permission issues

local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  10. Change Network Path for Network File and Folder Sharing

Change Network Path for Network File and Folder Sharing: I would like to change my Network Path name. If I right click on my C drive, click on Properties, click on the Sharing tab and in the Network File and Folder Sharing section my Network Path name is \\Desktop-uuor7m6\c How am I able to change the Network Path name? Thank...